Likes Likes:  4

Old 11-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Watching MLB

Rewards: 26,178
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 800
Likes (Received): 918
Exclamation AK stock market positions, all new after 11/5/2017

I am removing all my orders called SELL STOPS. I am sticking with my long positions.

I will be posting all of my orders here and links in new posts.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Advisory Board

Rewards: 17,878
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 974
Likes (Received): 1021
Looking forward to it AK

wde
Old 11-06-2017, 06:07 AM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
I could not sleep so I went short the two /NQZ7 Nasdaq 100 E-mini (CME) contracts but bought them back again and went long earning an extra $350. It sits almost unchanged at 6291. These little moves I will not bother to post in the future as they are very time sensitive meaning anything I do will not be seen in time for mall members to do anything with the info. It is in the "have fun" portion of my total investment portfolio. I put aside $5000 each calendar year to hopefully make money like my gaming account.

The following is an article from the Tdameritrade thinkorswim platform. If you like the Carla Mozee article and find it useful, I think you can open a "play money" account and see it by yourself. I rarely look at any of these myself. Mostly useless filler that does copy and paste well.

Nasdaq 100 E-mini (CME)

By Carla Mozee , MarketWatch
Saudi shake-up rattles some European stocks drifted lower Monday, as a political shake-up in Saudi Arabia caused some jitters, and with a drop for banks dragging on the region's main index.

A slowdown in services activity weighed on shares in Spain, already battered by the ongoing political crisis over independence for Catalonia.

What markets are doing: Germany's DAX 30 index fell 0.2% to 13,455.36 after finishing Friday at an all-time closing high of 13,478.86.
Also pulling back from Friday's closing record, the U.K.'s FTSE 100 was off 0.2% at 7,548.19.

Spain's IBEX 35 dropped 0.4% to 10,313.80, and France's CAC 40 shed 0.1% at 5,509.00.
Those muted moves left the Stoxx Europe 600 index down less than 1 point at 395.96. On Wednesday last week, the pan-regional index hit its highest level in more than two years (European stocks close at 2-year high as miners, car makers bring cheer - MarketWatch).
Banks weigh: The Stoxx Europe 600 Bank Index lost 0.6%. Societe Generale SA (GLE.FR) shares dropped 3.5%, extending Friday's slide of 4% after a disappointing earnings report.
The U.S. Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation are investigating three European banks for their roles (U.S. probes Credit Suisse, BNP Paribas, VTB over Mozambique debt sales - MarketWatch)

in selling about $2 billion of debt for Mozambique , according to a report from The Wall Street Journal .
What's moving markets: Investors were assessing the news that Saudi Arabian officials and members of the royal family were detained at the weekend, including tycoon Prince al-Waleed bin Talal , as part of an anti-corruption crackdown.

Read:

Detained Saudi prince has wide range of investments in Western companies (Detained Saudi prince has wide range of investments in Western companies - MarketWatch)
The arrests of such high-profile figures are seen as a dramatic escalation in the effort by Prince Mohammed bin Salman , the recently appointed crown prince, to consolidate power and accelerate far-reaching change (Stunning Saudi purge solidifies crown prince’s power - MarketWatch) in the kingdom.
Turkey's central bank on Monday took steps to support price and financial stability (Turkey's central bank acts to support falling lira - MarketWatch), after the Turkish lira's recent slump against the dollar. The tweak to its reserve option mechanism will withdraw about 5.3 billion lira ( $1.37 billion ) of liquidity from the market and provide banks with approximately $1.4 billion of liquidity, the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey said.
The euro traded at $1.1605 , barely budging from $1.1610 late Friday in New York .
What strategists are saying: "European equity markets are slightly in the red as traders lock in their profits from last week's broadly positive move. The DAX and the CAC 40 saw fresh record highs last week, while the FTSE 100 hit a multi-month high, so a small pullback today is hardly surprising," said CMC Markets analyst David Madden in a note.
"The price of oil has rallied after power is starting to shift towards Mohammaed bin Salman -- the crown prince of Saudi Arabia . Mohammaed bin Salman is in favour of the OPEC production cut, and traders are fearful the co-ordinated production freeze may be extended," he added.
Stock movers: Shares of Accor SA (AC.FR) were down 1.3%. Saudi Prince Al-waleed bin Talal's Kingdom Holding Co. owns a 5.71% stake in the hotel properties company, according to FactSet data.
SBM Offshore NV shares shares tumbled 11% after the Netherlands -based oil-services company said it has made a provision of $238 million (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sbm...ems-2017-11-06) against issues in the U.S. related to potential improper sales practices.
BTG PLC (BTG.LN) dropped 5% after the health care company said it would make a provision of 53.5 million pounds (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/btg...ing-2017-11-06) ( $70 million ) to cover damages and other costs related to a U.S. court ruling.
Vopak NV fell 2.1% as the provider of tank storage services reported a 25% fall in third-quarter net profit, (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vop...ate-2017-11-06) citing lower occupancy rates.
Economic docket: Spain's service sector activity was the slowest since January on reports that political uncertainty in the Catalonia region dampened growth, IHS Markit said Monday. The seasonally adjusted reading of 54.6 in October was down from 56.7 in September and below the FactSet estimate of 55.4.
In Germany , new orders in manufacturing increased by 1.0% on the month (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ger...sts-2017-11-06) in September, beating expectations of a 1.3% decline. The unexpectedly strong reading points to a resilient growth pace in the German economy, analysts said.
Sicily vote: A center-right coalition headlined by former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi appeared to have edged out the antiestablishment 5 Star Movement in Sunday's regional elections in Sicily (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ber...how-2017-11-06), according to exit polls, but the solid showing by both groups suggest they could perform well in national elections next year.
- Carla Mozee ; 415-439-6400; [email protected]
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
11-06-17 0621ET
Old 11-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
The /NQZ7 contract is now 6309 raising my "Fun Money" account to over $15,000 where TDAmeritrade offers 25% of usual margins in certain highly liquid contracts like /ym (DIA) /nq(QQQ) and a few more.

By Barbara Kollmeyer and Mark DeCambre , MarketWatch

They have a dozen newsletters like this one;

Developments in Saudi Arabia are in focus for oil traders
U.S. oil futures surged on Monday, headed for the highest settlement in more than two years as the crude market was rattled by political disruptions over the weekend in Saudi Arabia that saw officials and members of the royal family detained.
December West Texas Intermediate crude on the New York Mercantile Exchange was up $1.42 , or 2.6%, to $57.67 a barrel. It hit an intraday high of $57.33 a barrel, putting it on track for its highest settlement since late June of 2015, according to FactSet. January Brent crude gained $1.71 , or 2.8%, to $63.81 a barrel.
Oil prices have been in an uptrend, climbing to the best levels in more than two years on Friday (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oil...015-2017-11-03), partly on hopes this year's Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries production-cap deal will be extended, perhaps through 2018. OPEC meets at the end of the month to make a decision on extending the agreement.
However, crude added to its recent rise amid news of a wave of arrests of Saudi Arabian princes, businessmen and government ministers in what has been billed as an anticorruption crackdown but seen by some as a consolidation of power by Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/oil...-up-2017-11-06).
Phil Flynn , senior market analyst at Price Futures Group , said recent signs of a reduction in supplies and a cooling of production of U.S. shale producers are helping to foster a bullish environment for crude prices, breaking U.S. oil out of a range that had kept it between $50 and $55 a barrel.
"The glut of oil for all intents and purposes is gone and we are in a tighter [supply] situation" Flynn said. "That has set the stage for the rally we are having today" he said.
On Friday, U.S. oil-rig count data from Baker Hughes (BHGE) showed that the number of active U.S. rigs drilling for oil fell by 8 to 729 last week (Baker Hughes reports a sizable decline in weekly U.S. oil-rig count - MarketWatch), marking the fourth weekly decline in five. That decline in rigs drilling for crude comes amid near-record demand for oil in the U.S.
On Saturday, Saudi Arabia's oil minister, Khalid al-Falih (Saudi oil minister Khalid al-Falih says ‘significant work’ needed on global oil glut - MarketWatch) said there is still a "significant amount of work to do" to bring down global oil supply, after he met with Russian, Uzbek and Kazakh oil ministers, according to CNBC.
Beyond, internal strife, moves in Saudi Arabia also come amid elevated tensions between Riyadh and Middle Eastern neighbors, including Yemen , where a Saudi prince was killed in a helicopter crash (Saudi prince, other top officials reportedly killed in helicopter crash - MarketWatch) near their borders. The cause of the crash is unknown.
Readetained Saudi prince has wide range of investments in Twitter, Citi, other Western companies (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/det...ies-2017-11-05)
While developments in Saudi Arabia are unlikely to imperil the continuing output agreement led by OPEC , RBC's global head of commodity strategy, Helima Croft , said the bigger question in the medium term is the plans of king-in-waiting Mohammad bin Salman . The prince, known popularly as "MBS", was installed by King Salman less than five months ago--a move itself that came as a shock to some in the kingdom.
"We expect no immediate changes in oil policy. MBS seems strongly committed to anchoring the OPEC agreement deep into 2018 and moving ahead with the Aramco sale," said Croft in a note to clients on Sunday.
The initial public offering of an up-to-5% stake in state-owned oil company Saudi Aramco is expected to take place in 2018. It has been described as one of the world's biggest-ever IPOs.
-- Biman Mukherji contributed to this article
- Barbara Kollmeyer ; 415-439-6400; [email protected]
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
11-06-17 1306ET
Old 11-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
TDAmeritrade must have posted 35 of these infos. I think that it is too easy to overthink these things and mis-play your investments. I am not posting them anymore.

The Saudi Prince in jail may be a world game changer.

Two /NQZ7 up $1525 for the day.

I am punching out to try to 'capp the MNF game.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:40 AM
Advisory Board

Post Thanks / Like
nice day bro

wde
Old 11-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
For my analysis on cman's new stock pick, see

Hanes Brand (HBI)
Old 11-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
Exclamation Macy's (M) will survive Retail Ice Age

If you have read the then Mr. Donald Trump's book "The Art of the Deal", you should know that the time to buy is when there is blood in the streets. Many analysts have been talking about a Retail Ice Age because Amazon will bury them all.

I think that Macy's alone will survive but not because of retail. Notice what Mr. Trump did early in his career, he bought more Manhattan property in the meltdown of about 1974. Gasoline doubled, NYC bonds were in the toilet. AMTRACK started up for failing railroads. Many of these properties were insolvent meaning that they could not pay their current bills but owned valuable but nonliquid assets like land or buildings.

There were about 105 acres of Manhattan property with railroad turnarounds and other railroad stuff. Mr. Trump had been eyeing this for years. It was called "the yards" or some such thing. He saw 100 acres not supporting tall buildings. Wasted space. He bought the land and it is now big buildings.

Macy's owns a lot of very valuable department stores. What Macy's is doing is smart but not retail. They are moving their executives out of the Manhattan stores and moving them across the river. (M) is turning these department stores into far more valuable rentals of offices and someday, considering the NYC convoluted zoning laws, into apartments, then keeping them as rentals. Short term thinkers would sell these off for a quick profit. Longer term thinkers will hold and rent them forever.

The Macy's Day parade is coming which should give the beaten-down stock shares a boost.

Quote:
Consider that two-thirds of Macy's (M) market value has vanished over the past two years, and JCPenney (JCP) is down 90% since early 2012
I think JCP stock is circling the drain but M shares will rebound like the railroad land. (M) up $1.19 today

Wall Street thinks the worst is still to come for traditional retail - Sep. 15, 2017

I think it is better to not buy at the low, but rather after smarter money has shown you it was a good buy @ 18.

Last edited by AuburnKid; 11-09-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:22 AM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
In plane geometry, 2 points define a line, but in charting, 3 points are a trend

If you were invested in stocks for the long term, you might have watched with amusement as the /NQZ7 futures contract, expiring Dec. 17, was dropping on a news report that certain income tax deductions, planned to be switched from the longtime standard deduction requiring longer-term depreciation allowances into a "buy it this year, deduct it this year," was not going to pass Congress. Then at 10:26 until 10:41, the market somewhat stabilized between 6294 and 6286. Then the market drops to a lower low, rises to a lower high, then repeats itself.

If you were to draw a line from the 10:41 high of 6294 and connect it to the 11:10 lower high of 6278 you would have a straight line same as plane geometry. Then if you have the software "extend the line to the right, at 11:28 and a new lower high at 6266, the line that when you drew it just went into space, has defined a trend. This type of trend is common in day trading and is one key to profits. A sale at 11:26 at 6267 would be a good play. Sure enough, the trend continues with this trendline stopping any rise until the trend is broken at 11:47.

After the price hits the trendline and falls again after rising four times, it is time to look for a trend reversal. If you were a $100,000 investor, you would have shorted about 5 contracts for $100/ point at 6268. At 11:38 you would have bought 3 of your contracts back to cover your short positions taking a $1400 profit at 6252. You keep 2 contracts short in case the market just continues to fall for a "Home run" play. Then at 11:51 at 6256 the trend is broken. You buy the remaining 2 contracts for an 11 point X $40 or $440 profit.

What has happened is cooler heads have prevailed and noticed that to the Giant capitalizations of the NASDAQ mini 100, this tax deduction means nothing. It will only be bad for the smaller "Main street" little companies. The cooler heads start buying pushing the market back up to 6313 at closing.

Why does this happen? It happens because it has happened so often before that the $Billion dollar players have written it into their algorithms and the computers pretty much all agree with each other and the cycle repeats. The pattern the "Big Boys" are making happens because they are selling 100 contracts per second, averaging 3000 trades per minute. While an investor reading this post might be betting at $100 per point, the "Big Boys" are making their trades at $1,000,000 per minute. If you understand this, you will never wonder why banks like Bank of America Corp. are up from $18 a year ago to $26 or 44% today.

Today at 2 AM, it is 8 AM in London, the NASDAQ rallies but more sellers are pushing it down to 6282 until buyers again step in and buy. In limbo now, rising and falling.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:09 AM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
At 7 am market has risen to 6302 again.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 AM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
La Niña Conditions Have Arrived and Are Likely to Remain Through Early 2018, NOAA Says.
Heating oil has been on a tear since June rising 60 cents @ $420 per penny. I have bought 1 /HOZ7 @ 1.95 because of the La Niña.

It may be Veteran's Day (Observed). Markets may close early including your bank.

La Nina Conditions Have Arrived and Are Likely to Remain Through Early 2018, NOAA Says | The Weather Channel
Old 11-10-2017, 07:51 AM

Rewards: 94,891
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 67
Likes (Received): 278
AK - I like your write up on the retail stocks. Do you think $19.00 to 19.50 is a good entry point for (M) Macy's for longer term (> 5 years) investing?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:25 AM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
After an analyst on Fox Business News (FBN) said how Macy's was using their vast department store square footage by renting their pricey offices out to Lawyers, brokers, whatever businessmen needed to be in Manhattan, the stock shot up yesterday. Today it rocketed up 67 cents to 20.37 then fell the next minute. It is now 20.14 I would not wait for a pullback.

buy it now!

Last edited by AuburnKid; 11-10-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: I bought it after watching it fall. By the time I wrote this up @ 1n am it jumped again.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
For 5 year or more investing let me give you an example. In 1981 GE had been going nowhere since 1960 but a new President was coming. Southern Company (SO) was $2/share. If anyone put $10,000 into either stock, by 1997 they were both worth about $750,000.

If you asked one of these investors what they paid they might recall "I'm not sure, 19 or 19.50. What is the difference?
Old 11-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
In 11-10-17 for 250 sh @ $20.24. May add to my position.

Thanks AK for you insight!

Last edited by Jumpsteady; 11-10-2017 at 11:24 AM. Reason: To say thanks to AK
Old 11-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpsteady View Post
Thanks AK for your insight!
A good investing practice is investing the same amount, in dollars, each year. There are many methods. One is to have your investment bank withdraw every payday. Then on Jan. 2, you look at the DJIA stocks with highest dividend payments in percentage. What will likely happen is stock owners may adjust their portfolios to increase their yields. They will then be buying "the dogs of the Dow. This has worked for decades.

You should have a balanced portfolio. There are many books on this. One system that works well is 1/4 large capitalization stocks "large-cap"; 1/4 "small cap"; 1/4 Bonds; 1/4 emerging markets.

(M) now at 20.35; waiting might not have worked.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpsteady View Post

Thanks AK for you insight!
Added 11-10-17 another 250 sh @ $20.11
Now own 500 sh @ avg cost of $20.175
Old 11-11-2017, 04:53 AM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
Everyone who is reading this should consider watching the Fox News two hour block of "Bulls 'n bears" Forbes on Fox, 2 more. Since it is on every Saturday morning, it is prime 'capping time. I record it to watch later.

W.D. Gann was trading 100 years ago. Many of his works are still used. It's for sale on Amazon for $79 but it is so old it went into the public domain for free. See

https://healholistic.files.wordpress...ket-course.pdf

Last edited by AuburnKid; 11-11-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Advisory Board

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you I am reading it now..

it is focused on commodities it seems early on

wde
Old 11-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Advisory Board

Post Thanks / Like
So I have not invested in commodities before so I am assuming you are applying the principles..

wde
Old 11-11-2017, 07:31 PM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
Yes. A chart is a chart is a chart,... A chart is a chart is a chart,... A chart is a chart is a chart,... A chart is a chart is a chart,...

It happens for a lot of reasons.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
For a lot of reasons, this holds true"

I can in detail why this happens another day, but W.D. Gann did it first.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
The head and shoulders pattern is the easiest to identify.
Next is the bull flag.

Note the English spelling of centre. This looks like an interesting place to read. I have never found this source before.

Stock Market Basics
Old 11-22-2017, 09:00 AM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
If anyone wants to dip their toe into the commodities futures trading, try the long live May hogs and Short the Feb Live hogs. The margin is $770. I learned this in 1996 when I found out it made money for 22 straight years.

Why it works; Hog buyers are afraid the cold winter will interfere with the hogs putting on weight because of a colder than usual winter. Then the winter is not as bad as feared and the May contract goes up. This trade is usually entered in mid to late Oct. This winter will be a La Niña year but that may be baked into the cake as they say. Put a reminder in your calendar to look at it every October 15 or so. The trade looks like this /HEK8–/HEG8 LIMIT order.

This year it hit 6 cents on Nov 1. It is now 10 cents @ $400 per penny. $2400 profit and with that low of margin, you can afford a lot.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:36 PM
Watching MLB

Post Thanks / Like
http://futures.tradingcharts.com/charts/cdl/XN38.GIF

This link will show the chart of corn. A good system for buying any grain is called scale trading. It works almost every time. Here is why it works:

You may have read my writing about it is better to not buy at the low, because that may not really be the real low. Let the market bottom then buy soon after. In scale trading, you would buy one March mini corn at say 345. Perhaps the price continues down. You then just buy more contracts as the markets continue to fall if that happens. Since these are a mini corn, the normal $50/penny is only $10/penny. At any price below $3. the farmers will not sell it. This is not a hog that must be sold when mature.

A good farmer may want ten sources of income; chickens, eggs, a few cows, and note all things need feed. He sits on his corn and uses it as feed.

Any questions?

Contract Specifications: XN,CBOT
Trading Unit: 1,000 bushels
Tick Size: 1/8 cent/bushel ($1.25 per contract)
Quoted Units: US $ per bushel
Initial Margin: $405 Maint Margin: $300
Contract Months: Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Dec
Last Trading Day: The business day prior to the 15th calendar day of the contract month.
Trading Hours: Electronic: 5:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Central Time
Trading in expiring contracts closes at noon on the last trading day.
Cash Price: Cent/bu (1,000 bu)
Daily Limit: Twenty cents ($0.20) per bushel ($200 per contract) above or below the previous day's settlement.

Tags
long, orders, positions, posting, posts