Stocks Discuss stock trading, tips & the market

Likes Likes:  4

Old 11-28-2017, 12:41 PM
On summer hiatus

Rewards: 25,809
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 769
Likes (Received): 878
I just bought one March 2018 corn contract. It moves up or down @ $50 per penny.

Grains close at 2 pm CST.

Last edited by AuburnKid; 11-28-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added Grains close at 2 pm CST.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:48 PM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
I am punching out of the mall to 'capp the Crude Oil market. We may be about to start a monster trade in the Crude Oil market (/CLG8) Feb 2018.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:42 PM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnKid View Post
I am punching out of the mall to 'capp the Crude Oil market. We may be about to start a monster trade in the Crude Oil market (/CLG8) Feb 2018.
I just realized that the link address of the chart is not shown. This is the Enron (ENE) stock chart.

This is also a chart of the last 4 trading days of crude oil. On Wednesday, the close of business price was 58.06 Around 2:58 the chart turned into a "Head and Shoulders chart. I sold one /CLF8 @ 57.92 It just reopens at 6:30. I recommend to sell now @ about 57.50 There is risk involved in this trade but I am in it.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:52 PM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
Should have been "Head and Shoulders chart". I missed the close quote.

I also figured /cl would fall faster.
Quote:
I recommend to sell now @ about 57.50 There is risk involved in this trade but I am in it.
Jan Crude Oil wandering between 57.74 to 57.65

A short sale between those numbers is not too risky if you do like WD Gann recommended and place a buy stop @ 58.20 This is written as BUY 1 /CLF8 AT 58.20 STP GTC. That makes it a $500 risk. Mini crude oil contract cuts the risk in half but also the reward.

If you like this trade, sell short below 57.72 If you are apprehensive, sell at the market now, 7:51 with a buy stop @ 57.77 for a $50 risk
Old 11-29-2017, 01:58 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
I was stopped out but had a $50 gain. I am back long 2 /YMZ7 And the Mar corn
Old 11-29-2017, 01:54 PM

Rewards: 99,304
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 273
Quote:
After an analyst on Fox Business News (FBN) said how Macy's was using their vast department store square footage by renting their pricey offices out to Lawyers, brokers, whatever businessmen needed to be in Manhattan, the stock shot up yesterday. Today it rocketed up 67 cents to 20.37 then fell the next minute. It is now 20.14 I would not wait for a pullback.

buy it now!
AK - Curious as to your latest thoughts on Macy's? The new CEO Jeff Gennette seems to know what he's doing. Black Friday and Cyber Monday seemed to go well even with the credit card glitch on Black Friday. Hopefully, this leads to a good holdiay retail season. I still like the long term play with the real estate holdings. I'm long 401(k) 500 sh @ $20.175 avg cost.

Always look forward to your insight.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:04 PM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
I have nothing new to report.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:38 PM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
Too large an image.
click on the link
https://download.qtmarketcenter.com/...2064956782.jpg

closing long DJIA index position.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
Dec. DJIA Futures account closes Dec 17. I will be ready at 4:55 PM to buy The March 18 contract at open unless it gaps a lot higher. (/YMH8)

I am making a screenshot of the day trading play but it is getting a little advanced for nonexperienced day traders. The short version is to sell at noon and buy before 1 PM big Wall Street types go out to lunch.

My BDC plays should be gold. I have them in BIG Parlay.

Last edited by AuburnKid; 12-03-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:43 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
First, let us remember what that broker's chart was last Friday. It was SELL your mini DOW. I posted it last week. It cost me a ton because I listened to his "proof" in the form of a chart. I was ready to buy Sunday but the market gapped $1000 up so I missed out. This is why salesmen go to negotiating school. Most of us here, including me, agreed to not use broker advise.

Brokers are paid extra to push certain stocks that their BOD has taken a few million shares of something and need to sell it. I am very gullible about many things. A member I respect from Louisianna said the Ragun Cagins were strong. I played App State to win but not as much as I wanted; App 63 to something. I missed a bigger play.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:04 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
I broke this up into 3 posts to make for a more clear usage

Next: I decided that this is not the forum to encourage day trading. This was my tricky question. Sell short at 12:10, buy to cover at 12:58. But the one thing that has been happening for half a century is that the big Wall Street brokers go out to lunch. Their trades may take a few minutes to fill so about 12:10 EST, the market takes a dip.

Let's say you are looking at a market basket of various stocks including some in the NASDAQ. You have decided to buy and you have made up your mind at let's say 10:30, try waiting to see if your stock doesn't take a favorable dip about at 12:35 to 12:58. You can test this during the days you are just thinking about it.

You would have noticed today that the DJIA shot up, then went down. Double that for the NASDAQ. This is an unprecedented market phenomenon for two reasons. It shot up because the tax deal was claimed to be a done deal. Taxes have only gone up for 35 years. It went down Friday because FAKE NEWS has never had this much power before. ABC ran some false story and the market drops 350. Anyone who had sell stops in place would have been stopped out. If you are long Ben Stein's 15-year-old advice (that I know of for sure), to buy and hold Spyders (SPY) never use a sell stop if you are younger than 60. This includes the monster dip of 2008. Just keep buying with a set amount of dollars every quarter or whatever makes sense to you.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:06 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
December is the month to take winners to take your profits. This was always done before whenever an investor had losers to write off. If you bought it back within 30 days it was a WASH sale [1] and not allowed by IRS. Investors 30 years ago might simply sell their Macys(M) stock but buy Sears(S) stock the same day to replace it. They would have performed similarly for 30 days. But there has NEVER been an Amazon before. If you bought anytime since 11:30 PM Nov. 8, 2016, you bought Amazon and have a monster gain and there is nothing to use to avoid the WASH sale. I think there will be some good buying opportunities in the "big 5" but they will not last long. These sales will look like bitcoin drops. Every time it falls, someone thinks that "who cares if it is real or not. I can make profits and hide it from the IRS."

If you are thinking that if investors are going to sell, they will have dead money unless they buy something. One thing that we all need is food. The grain basket of Mar corn. wheat and soybeans fell from a recent high of 1822.5 to 1796. This will be seen as a buying opportunity sometime. It may go as low as 1779 but not stay there, In my opinion (IMO).

[1]
Wash Sales. Acquire a contract or option to buy substantially identical securities. Internal Revenue Service rules prohibit you from deducting losses related to the wash sales. For more information about wash sales, read IRS Publication 550, Investment Income and Expenses (Including Capital Gains and Losses).Mar 28, 2008
SEC.gov | Wash Sales
SEC.gov | Wash Sales
Old 12-05-2017, 02:34 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman23 View Post
I was thinking the Vanguard S&P 500 (VOO), but I noticed it is $236/share...does it make more sense to get into an index fund that has a lower buying price so that I can get in with more shares? (I hope this makes sense)Also, I don't think that I mentioned earlier that I get free trades for the first 60 days of setting up my account.
The SPY were 220 then. Why would VOO have a value greater than SPY when they are supposed to be the same thing? Because VOO is in auto-deduct programs in a lot of companies but why is that? Because the Vanguard people pay or make it available at no cost. This is an expense to Vanguard.

Harry Dent explained this like this; the S&P was 500 in (he names the year, I forgot) sometime in the early 1990s) Then in just 5 years, it was 1000. Many people might buy VOO and see that it is 610 in just one year while the (Made up) XYZ fund is only 590. So thinking he is smart, Fast Eddie sells his XYZ shares and buys VOO. But note if you had 100 shares of XYZ and sold them @ 590, you only get $59,000 to buy only 96 shares of VOO. The next year the Vanguard Corp. gets their top stock picker headhunted away and their VOO shares are now not only not up to the expected 20% but down to 96% of the last year's price of shares at 585.60. So our "Fast Eddie" who is always chasing the hottest shares sells his VOO @ 585.60 and buys XYZ which acquired the best stock picker and is at 767, up 30%.

Keep repeating this and Fast Eddie ends up 5 years later with 100 shares worth the same $50,000 while the SPY is 1000 and I do not remember how VOO did over 5 years. It doesn't matter because Fast Eddie sold it at the top of one year instead of holding it. Dent has many funny stories to make it a good read as a used book, it sells for a few bucks.

Dent explains why most economists get it wrong; the Economy is powered by sex but that is another story.

good night. 'I think i can get to sleep now.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:59 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
Stocks up

Quote:
These sales will look like bitcoin drops. Every time it falls, someone thinks that "who cares if it is real or not. I can make profits and hide it from the IRS."

If you are thinking that if investors are going to sell, they will have dead money unless they buy something. One thing that we all need is food. The grain basket of Mar corn. wheat and soybeans fell from a recent high of 1822.5 to 1796. This will be seen as a buying opportunity sometime. It may go as low as 1779 but not stay there, In my opinion (IMO).
Good Morning. I got a nice 4 hours of sleep. The stock market hit 24320 @ 5 am but turned sharply higher then to 43379 just now. The grain basket bottomed at 3am and is rising to now @ 1801. I am buying one more soybeans filled @ 1014. bitcoins up 5% over yesterday

Last edited by AuburnKid; 12-05-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added btc
Old 12-05-2017, 07:26 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
BTC NOW +7.3% since the yesterday and +$805.14 since yesterday.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:05 PM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
The Mar corn+soybeana+wheat went up until some news @ 9 am drives down. Perfect for a day trader. I bottomed and has been rising since. Now at 1812. Bitcoins up over 1200 then dropped a little to 11,800 with chart going down. Likely a good buy in the early morning.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:06 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
BTC dips to 12620, now 12,700
I sold my 5 corn, bought 2 more soybeans now at 1024.5 DJIA down 66 to 24,110. I got off of the day trading stock index funds until after the tax bill.

Have a good day. It is the travel day to Augusta, Ga.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:06 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
Buy soybeans now
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
Hit a bottom then noon report it rose up
Old 12-11-2017, 02:06 PM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
Commentary for 12-11-17 at 11:44am

This is a "beta" of a new financial commentary service from Ira Epstein. Please enjoy. If you wish to continue receiving or wish to opt out, click on the appropriate link below.
Commentary for 12-11-17 at 11:44am
The Conference Board's US November Employment Trends Index: 135.88 ; prev month revised to 136.23 from 135.57

Goldman Sachs said it expects production outside of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries to rise by 550,000 barrels a day in the fourth quarter.

Remember that the FOMC Meeting begins on Tuesday and finishes on Wednesday with an announcement and press conference

Speaking of central banks, the gap between U.S. and German 10-year yields reached 208.5 basis points this morning. That's just off the 209 bps eight-month high hit earlier in December. The reason for this is that between the Federal Reserve hiking interest rates in this week and projecting three more hikes in 2018, the stances of our central bank's and the European Central Bank's monetary stance show our rates hiking while Europe's sits still or even falls a bit more.

Another interesting consequence of tax reform and rising interest rates in the US is the impact the Chinese think it will have on their economy. The Wall Street Journal is reporting today that "In the Beijing leadership compound of Zhongnanhai, officials are putting in place a contingency plan to combat consequences for China of U.S. tax changes as well as expected interest-rate increases by the Federal Reserve, according to people with knowledge of the matter. What they fear is a double whammy sapping money out of China by making the U.S. a more attractive place to invest.

The Consumer Price Index (CPI) data will be released on Wednesday morning and will be a key data focus for further clues on inflation pressures

Expected strong feed demand globally has prompted US soybean processors to increase their capacity, with 120 mln bushels of added processing expected to come online by 2019 an increase of 5% from the current 1.9 bln bushel volume. Analysts note this is the most capacity has risen since 1997/98 period. NOPA's Pres. estimates worldwide soy production will need to grow by 20% over the next 10 years to keep up with feed consumption

The Europeans are looking hard at Bitcoin transactions. European Central Bank member Ewald Nowotny said in a news conference today concerning Bitcoin was that “A particular aspect that needs to be discussed ...is the question of how far the regulations on money laundering ...are relevant here”. Expect more and more attempts to regulate crytocurrencies as they go mainstream.

Gold didn't bounce very much off a pipe bomb explosion in New York City today. That doesn't bode well for it as central bank meetings this week are not likely to give gold a boost as Europe and the US move towards tightening rather than easy money policies. Gold continues to ride the lower Bollinger Band, which is not a bullish technical signal. It hasn't converted its momentum to locking in a bear trend, but it's very close to doing so. Bitcoin has stolen the show is you equate gold with Bitcoin, which some do. I don't as I see them as very different instruments. The spread in Bitcoin futures is still very wide but will likely narrow in once margins come down, traders are allowed to go short and volume picks up. Overall, it was a good release given all the restrictions on it and bodes well for the Cboe.

Copper found important support against the might have found support at the 2.95 level and looks to be bottomed out. The trend is not up but losing the bearish embedded Slow Stochastic reading is a technical sign to cover shorts, now and certainly by the close if its stays lost.

Crude oil got a bid today as the 450,000 barrels per day pipeline, which carries Forties crude from the North Sea to the Kinneil processing terminal in Scotland, was shut down today. The pipeline had been operating at reduced capacity for about four days but seeing it totally shutdown surprised the market. This also gives us an idea as to how in balance supply is with demand as this pipeline had been operating at a reduced level for the past 4 days. Seeing it to down to zero was the surprise. Also surprising was a story carried in the Financial Times that said that "Kuwait’s oil minister suggested that an exit from the supply-cut agreement would be studied before June. The United Arab Emirates’ energy minister said on Monday that OPEC plans to announce in June an exit strategy from the cuts, though he added it did not mean the pact would end by then". I take this comment to mean that there's limited price gains ahead that won't encourage OPEC members to push to end the output cuts. Higher prices will in other words increase pressure to open up OPEC to more production.

As readers know I have been covering Bitcoin for days now and need a break from it. Suffice to day that there was no mania buying today and that the roll out went smoothly. With most brokerage firms still on the sidelines, and likely to stay there for a small while, the spread between bids and offers at times is wide. However as the day morning has moved along I'm seeing this narrow from about $120 last to close to $60 now. Volume is light at 3446 contracts but will soon pick up. This is still a "look and see" period for many in the futures industry.

If you like this sign up here Confirm Your EmailIra Epstein Division of Linn & Associates, LLC. | Ira Epstein Division of Linn & Associates, LLC.
it is beta and the links do not work yet and a dozen errors in a grammar check.

Publication Dates:
Sunday Evening
Twice Daily, Monday - Thursday
Friday Morning

One of you may wish to share in the bitcoin thread.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:03 PM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
If you are buying pre Christmas, see;

Lenovo Official US Site | Computers, Smartphones, Data Center

green Monday
Old 12-14-2017, 05:27 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
Another BTC buyer from Spooky. click on the sound bar. Remember, you can always mine more gold. When gold hit 1600 even Sarah Palin sucked some up until the price was driven down again. Never to be more than 21 million BTC, likely 17 million because you CAN lose them but cannot make more without expensive electricity

As BTC gets range bound in the 1600 to 1800 mark I think Etherium will rise faster as a percentage. Spooky likes the Etherium which I just started to buy. Spooky is a better bettor than me. He likes Clemson which not one of the 5 SEC remaining competitors in last years SEC contest picked. The tiebreaker when to the lowest point guessed under.

Sports Betting Tips & Strategy | Spooky Express
Old 12-14-2017, 04:10 PM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
The perfect bull flag chart in one day

Why this happens: the widget (in this case palladium ) rises by buyers rapidly biding the price up, then day traders MUST exit their day trading positions to avoid margin calls or getting dropped by keeping a position overnight. These sellers depress the price which now has a probability of 80% to return to its upward trend.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:19 PM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
I have stopped my day trading for some time.

I just transferred into a long position of 1 June /ESM8 and 1 Mar corn. I will not be posting here for any time in the near future. I am watching the President in his speech. In 6 months, 2700 to buy into the S&P will be a "remember when".

Old 12-19-2017, 07:55 AM
On summer hiatus

Post Thanks / Like
Wager for 100 points: on the March 2018 S&P 500 index closing price

It hit a new high yesterday at 2698, is now 2697.00 and I wager that it will close at 2700 or higher. Offer expires at 9:30 EST

Any takers?

Last edited by AuburnKid; 12-19-2017 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Offer expires at 9:30 EST

Tags
long, orders, positions, posting, posts