Likes Likes:  1

Old 07-18-2017, 03:35 PM

Rewards: 32,595
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 430
Likes (Received): 415
The Nasdaq Composite Index on Tuesday

The Nasdaq Composite Index on Tuesday

was on track to book its longest streak of gains in more than two years and its first record close in about a month, highlighting a steady climb for the tech-centric benchmark, and a rebound in popular trades like Netflix Inc. (NFLX). Most recently, the Nasdaq was trading in record territory and on track to mark its longest string of gains, at eight sessions in a row, since the 10-session period ended Feb. 24, 2015 , according to the WSJ Market Data Group . The gauge had been wrestling with an extended downturn in technology shares since June 8 , when the sector began a monthlong slump amid fears the high-flying group, including names like Facebook Inc. (FB), Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN), Apple Inc. (AAPL), Netflix , and Alphabet-parent Google Inc. (GOOGL)(GOOGL), were rising too far, too fast. However, those companies and the tech benchmark has been recently rebounding from its June lows, with a recent batch of second-quarter earnings from Netflix helping to bolster sentiment in those growth names Overall, the Nasdaq Composite was trading up 0.4%, above its all-time closing high of 6,321.76 set June 8 , while the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down about 0.3%, pressured by a slump in shares of Goldman Sachs (GS), while the S&P 500 index was trading flat. The popular tech-focused, exchange-traded Technology Select Sector SPDR ETF also was trending higher and facing its own eight-session streak, as was the PowerShares QQQ Trust Series 1 (QQQ), which is designed to mimic the performance of the large-cap Nasdaq-100 index .
- Mark DeCambre ; 415-439-6400; [email protected]
(END) Dow Jones Newswires
Old 07-27-2017, 08:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
New high again! Ten points from 6000.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
/NQU7 up 36 DJIA UP 90
Old 08-14-2017, 11:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
NASDEX up another 28. I am now long 3 Sep /NQU7 CONTACTS.

Gain from 17:00 hours up 27.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I have just entered a SELL STOP on one Dec. NASDEX MINI-100 (/NQZ7) @ 6240. The tax law may rollout overnight.

Anyone who was awake this morning @ 5am would have noticed the /nqz7reverse at a high of 6284 and could have made a sweet day trade.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Stop just triggered @ 15:10

I am now flat the stock market except for long-term stocks that I cannot afford to sell because it causes a taxable event.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I just went short on the /NQZ7 index.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I covered my short and am now flat.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:54 AM

Rewards: 81,480
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 37
Likes (Received): 188
AuburnKid,

You still like SO even at it's 52 week high? Looking at a 15-20 year time line in my 401k with about $20,000 sitting in money market right now. I would still like to sit on some cash for balancing the portfolio.

TIA
Old 11-02-2017, 12:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
There was a "flight to safety" today running SO up 65 cents. Look at my response to the new guy. Thinking....be right back.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
SO went up $1.12 and is now dropping. I will look later. For 20 years, see my post

Dogs of the Dow.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpsteady View Post
AuburnKid,

Do you still like SO even at its 52 week high? Looking at a 15-20 year timeline in my 401k with about $20,000 sitting in money market right now. I would still like to sit on some cash for balancing the portfolio.

TIA
ghostMe selling would cause a taxable event so I never think about selling. But I could go on margin @ cheap interest and buy something else. So what would I buy if I expected to live to 91? I just bought 67 acres of land west of Auburn. Land sells around here for $3000/acre. This land has about $68,000 in timber. The trees will grow at a rate I am unsure of yet, but $200-$300/acre is common. You might be one of the well-funded investors that buy a futures contract as a long-term investment. Click on the link. It may be removed soon. Instead of laying out $120,000 in the SPY or Diamonds (DIA), you put out the $5000 margin and roll it over every three months.

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/charts/SPM.GIF

Looking at the chart from 2009, everything is at its high of year.

2017 Dogs of the Dow

As I was writing, the market reopened and the /NQZ7 index went up from 6234 to 6252.

Last edited by AuburnKid; 11-02-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like

Martin dam and powerhouse

ghostIn 1926 Lake Martin was mostly a water reservoir to protect Montgomery from springtime flooding. They drew the water down from 491 feet above sea level 20-30 feet back then. At 44,000 acres you can figure out the acre-feet of water that can run through the turbines to sell as electricity. By 1980 the weather satellites are such a giant help, they only have to lower the lake 10 feet and it will be 8 feet in a decade.

ghostClick on the safe link. (SO) was $2/share for the longest time until 1980. Then air conditioning becomes affordable. There were surprisingly few houses in the South with a/c until about then. Meaning that all of the land Southern Company owns was worth a lot more and it owns a lot of land; about 400 miles of Lake Martin shoreline and a couple dozen reservoirs in the southern States. Add in massive numbers of Sections at 640 acres to a Section that has several leases on every acre. Neighbor Jerry C. Hall rented a quarter-quarter Section for $11/acre last time I looked for the hunting rights. Then while he is raking up some pine needles, a man tells Jerry that Jerry only has a hunting lease and does not have the agricultural rights. The new guy has some kind of agricultural rights lease to remove fallen stuff. Then when trees are the best age to cut, a stumpage fee is put up for bid.

ghostNow, this deal is unbelievable. They do not intend to sell the land. They rent it! Imagine you want to have a home on Lake Martin. A typical series of lots are put up for auction. A person bids an amount of cash plus agrees to pay a fixed rate, commonly $400 per month as rent. It is fixed for 30 years. Then if you made a nice house and want to give it to your kids, you or your kids (assume you predecease them) have to bid on the rights to rent your land again. A retired builder friend, Jerry C. Hall, was paying $100 rent per year until he finally offered them $16,000 (160 years of rent) many years ago to buy the land his house where his house is sited. His neighbors now pay about $300 per month. He made a wise investment. Land usually is worth 16 years of rent but going higher last score of years. Auburn old coach Tuberville has a nice house. (SO) does not sell Beanie-babies or other crap that might be a fluke. If you think that any of the following will go down in price or not keep up with inflation (SO) is not for you;

#1 Land
#2 Electricity
#3 Lumber
#4 Water
#5 Rent rates

ghostIf you do not know, concrete pours as massive as a dam like Hoover dam has cooling tunnels made in the pour that cool the curing concrete. Hoover dam was still getting stronger when I visited it in 1987.

https://www.google.com/search?q=so+s...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by AuburnKid; 11-04-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:36 AM

Rewards: 159
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnKid View Post

Martin dam and powerhouse

ghostIn 1926 Lake Martin was mostly a water reservoir to protect Montgomery from springtime flooding. They drew the water down from 491 feet above sea level 20-30 feet back then. At 44,000 acres you can figure out the acre-feet of water that can run through the turbines to sell as electricity. By 1980 the weather satellites are such a giant help, they only have to lower the lake 10 feet and it will be 8 feet in a decade.

ghostClick on the safe link. (SO) was $2/share for the longest time until 1980. Then air conditioning becomes affordable. There were surprisingly few houses in the South with a/c until about then. Meaning that all of the land Southern Company owns was worth a lot more and it owns a lot of land; about 400 miles of Lake Martin shoreline and a couple dozen reservoirs in the southern States. Add in massive numbers of Sections at 640 acres to a Section that has several leases on every acre. Neighbor Jerry C. Hall rented a quarter-quarter Section for $11/acre last time I looked for the hunting rights. Then while he is raking up some pine needles, a man tells Jerry that Jerry only has a hunting lease and does not have the agricultural rights. The new guy has some kind of agricultural rights lease to remove fallen stuff. Then when trees are the best age to cut, a stumpage fee is put up for bid.

ghostNow, this deal is unbelievable. They do not intend to sell the land. They rent it! Imagine you want to have a home on Lake Martin. A typical series of lots are put up for auction. A person bids an amount of cash plus agrees to pay a fixed rate, commonly $400 per month as rent. It is fixed for 30 years. Then if you made a nice house and want to give it to your kids, you or your kids (assume you predecease them) have to bid on the rights to rent your land again. A retired builder friend, Jerry C. Hall, was paying $100 rent per year until he finally offered them $16,000 (160 years of rent) many years ago to buy the land his house where his house is sited. His neighbors now pay about $300 per month. He made a wise investment. Land usually is worth 16 years of rent but going higher last score of years. Auburn old coach Tuberville has a nice house. (SO) does not sell Beanie-babies or other crap that might be a fluke. If you think that any of the following will go down in price or not keep up with inflation (SO) is not for you;

#1 Land
#2 Electricity
#3 Lumber
#4 Water
#5 Rent rates

ghostIf you do not know, concrete pours as massive as a dam like Hoover dam has cooling tunnels made in the pour that cool the curing concrete. Hoover dam was still getting stronger when I visited it in 1987.

so stock price - Google Search
Nice article. Way to dumb it down for us newbies

I took your advice and invested in SPY...also invested a little in a couple other smaller stocks. I need to learn to be patient and I will eventually be able to buy more stock in companies that I would like to, like Southern Company.

Thanks again for your advice!
Old 11-04-2017, 05:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
like Southern Company.
It is what would be called a utility stock. The perfect "Widows and Orphans" stock who cannot afford to miss a dividend. Another member wanted to know. Remember that for 14 years it only moved from 33 to 52. I put this up for older investors. If you have a 20 or more years until retirement, you should stay in the growth stocks like SPY. Look up DIAMONDS (DIA) THe DJIA and some QQQ

https://www.google.com/search?q=qqq&...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Tags
composite, index, june, nasdaq, netflix