Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

Fantasy Sports Fantasy football, fantasy baseball, fantasy basketball, fantasy hockey and more.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:03 AM

Rewards: 1,932
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 8169
Likes (Received): 3035
Fantasy moral question

It's the week before playoffs and there's a morality conundrum in my league.

What would you do as Commish?

Someone is refusing to drop any of their benched players to grab a TE (which is unfilled because Kelce is on bye) because they don't want to drop a benched player "so no one else gets that player for the playoffs" (which he's in). We have a long-standing rule you HAVE to a full line-up every week.

What was said to him "if you don't drop for a TE yourself, I (commish) will drop a player of my choice on your bench (bench: Gordon, Fitz, Trubisky, K. Johnson, Cook, Mixon and Kelce) and grab a TE for you and put him in"

So now said guy is threatening to quit.

I stand by the commish on this out of principle, because he's knowingly trying to alter the playoffs by cheating. But is it abusing powers as commish?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:06 AM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 15,976,448
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5435
Likes (Received): 9558
I think if he wants to take a zero for TE this week and drop nobody it's his choice. Strategy is part of the game. Nobody should force him to drop a player because of a bye week. That is ridiculous to be honest. He is penalizing himself by taking a zero at TE this week, and it should be his choice/decision.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Moral is if you have a RB on a bye and 1 sitting on the bench who is playing and you choose not to put him in your lineup, either to tank yourself or help your opponent. That is when setting your lineup must be done. If you have injured guys or guys on a bye and people on the bench to replace them, you must do it. Forcing a guy to drop a player to cover a TE position for 1 week, just to pick up a scrub that probably doesn't get much anyway? That's just wrong and that is the commish altering the league, nobody else.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:13 AM
CM Hall Of Fame 2008

Rewards: 36,585
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 7735
Likes (Received): 6435
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
I think if he wants to take a zero for TE this week and drop nobody it's his choice. Strategy is part of the game. Nobody should force him to drop a player because of a bye week. That is ridiculous to be honest. He is penalizing himself by taking a zero at TE this week, and it should be his choice/decision.

Completely agree. He is not tanking. No way you should drop a player for him. If my commish did that, I would leave that league in a heartbeat.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
If he does lose this game, he'll still be in the playoffs, but Person B he's facing will also make the playoffs. If Person B loses, Person B doesn't make playoffs - so a TE could affect that scenario. Also, having a full line-up was a mandatory rule this year, because he actually complained about it last year, since he didn't make the playoffs because of this exact same scenario.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
If my commish did that, I would leave that league in a heartbeat.
Me too
Old 11-25-2018, 10:20 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
If he does lose this game, he'll still be in the playoffs, but Person B he's facing will also make the playoffs. If Person B loses, Person B doesn't make playoffs - so a TE could affect that scenario. Also, having a full line-up was a mandatory rule this year, because he actually complained about it last year, since he didn't make the playoffs because of this exact same scenario.
That's the benefit of a great season. Just like NFL teams that clinch early and rest players.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
That's the benefit of a great season. Just like NFL teams that clinch early and rest players.
I'm not really on anyone's side here, I just want the rules to be followed - we don't have many. But even NFL teams have to fill positions on the field.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
So him picking up a guy for 1 point makes everyone happy? No commish should EVER drop players for any team against a guys will. That is absolutely wrong
Old 11-25-2018, 10:32 AM

Rewards: 6,782
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 621
Likes (Received): 578
Red face

Is it a written rule, part of a set of rules agreed to by all teams before the season begins?
If not, then it's not a rule.

Unless you have a set of written bylaws stating a full lineup must be played, it should be the owner's choice, and as commissioner you should not step in and alter any team's makeup.

I agree with Wayne and Keith. Strategy should not penalized. And that's what this appears to be - he's employing what he believes is the long term strategy necessary for him to win. And that's the main game.

Last edited by Mr. NASCAR; 11-25-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NASCAR View Post
I agree with Wayne and Keith here. Unless you have a set of written bylaws stating a full lineup must be played, it should be the owner's choice, and as commissioner you should not step in and alter any team's makeup. You shouldn't penalize strategy. And that's what this appears to be - he's employing what he believes is the long term strategy necessary for him to win. And that's the main game.
I agree and full lineup and spirit of the game is exactly what I said in post 3. If he had a TE on the bench and he refused to play him, just to help his opponent get in the playoffs, that's different than this.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Is it a written rule, part of a set of rules agreed to by all teams before the season begins?
If not, then it's not a rule.
I agree with Wayne and Keith here. Unless you have a set of written bylaws stating a full lineup must be played, it should be the owner's choice, and as commissioner you should not step in and alter any team's makeup. You shouldn't penalize strategy. And that's what this appears to be - he's employing what he believes is the long term strategy necessary for him to win. And that's the main game.
Before the season started, we were all having drinks at a bar discussing rules, and this rule came up. "you MUST have a full line-up of active playing players every week". we even shook hands.

I totally get the strategy of it. I'm not even against it. I've done some shady fantasy shit before because there were no active rules against it yet. But like the paragraph above, it is a rule and we shook hands on it. But if commish drops a guys player, I agree he should leave the league (which I don't want). But what do you do if someone is not going to abide by rules of a gentleman's agreement?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:44 AM

Rewards: 13,511
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 385
Agree with everyone here. This happens a lot to the kicker position as well in a league I'm in. I took a zero last week because I had Gostkowski and didn't want to waste a spot for a K I would use 1 week and then drop. I was confident I would win my game even though I knew I was taking a 0 for that position.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
And there is no rule stating an NFL team must field 11 players. We've all seen plays where the D only had 10 players on the field. Were they penalized? No.
On offense, a team must have 7 men on the line of scrimmage. Other than that - no rule stating more are necessary to run a play.

I see your side PPM, you're stuck in that whole "rock and a hard place" thing, but the opinions you requested lean strongly you shouldn't intercede.
Just my opinion - let fate play it out.

Last edited by Mr. NASCAR; 11-25-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:57 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
PPM, I have run 3 leagues for 20 years. It goes without saying that you must enter a full lineup if you have the guys to do it. I went in once and set a guys lineup for him. He was eliminated and he was trying to get his opponent a win and a playoff spot. I went in and set his Lineup and I locked him out. It was the final week of season. I have never penalized a guy for doing what Zeib or many others have done or dropped a player for somebody.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:58 AM

Rewards: 1,202
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 87
Likes (Received): 38
I agree with the majority. I believe in the spirit of the rule. If you’re not tanking to let someone else win or if you’re not doing it to give someone else in the league an advantage as an owner of a team you should be able to strategize as you feel fit!
Old 11-25-2018, 11:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
And there is no rule stating an NFL team must field 11 players. We've all seen plays where the D only had 10 players on the field. Were they penalized? No.
On offense, a team must have 7 men on the line of scrimmage. Other than that - no rule stating more are necessary to run a play.

I see your side PPM, you're stuck in that whole "rock and a hard place" thing, but the opinions you requested lean strongly you shouldn't intercede.
Just my opinion - let fate play it out.
Sorry, I hope it didn't come off as if I'm the commish of this league. I'm asking everyone's opinion specifically here because I highly respect all your knowledge of sports and fantasy advice, so I can tell my commish what other commish's and great sports fanatics think about this situation. I really don't want to lose a good friend/player in the league I'm in because "Hitler Commish" is taking things too far.

Last edited by PPM; 11-25-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 4,461
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2547
Likes (Received): 9317
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Before the season started, we were all having drinks at a bar discussing rules, and this rule came up. "you MUST have a full line-up of active playing players every week". we even shook hands.
this exact statement was said at the bar and then everyone turned to each other and shook hands? That's funny.
NBA 2015/16 41-29-3
NCAA BB 2015/16 14-15
Old 11-25-2018, 01:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
It was a big issue to someone, and the 10 of us go to the bar every week to catch up and talk sports.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Adapt and Overcome!

Rewards: 9,268
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 74
So what does each other player feel about it? because we can opinionate...but its not our money in there, if a rule is a house rule. it should be honored. if he must have a full line..that is what a waiver wire is for. you need a TE...there is a list for it. u need to drop a juicy tidbit because u fukin lick the bathtub the player lies in....that isnt the rule...the rule is all positions are to be filled. you as the player must make that happen..and you have a waiver wire to do it. It must be filled by the player. or he forfeits his cash.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:58 PM
:thumbsup

Rewards: 372
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 854
Likes (Received): 951
lol zero chance this guy will quit. If I was commish I would be like cool, go ahead, and I'll give first seed a bye or something. His sitting a TE can affect playoff positioning, so yeah I would make him play a TE. If he started all bench players and somebody made the playoffs that shouldnt have, or it affected the seedings, you guys wouldn't allow it, so how can you allow this?......maybe have everybody agree that nobody will pick up the guy he drops?

Last edited by Bisket; 11-25-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:34 PM

Rewards: 2,871
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1048
Likes (Received): 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisket View Post
lol zero chance this guy will quit. If I was commish I would be like cool, go ahead, and I'll give first seed a bye or something. His sitting a TE can affect playoff positioning, so yeah I would make him play a TE. If he started all bench players and somebody made the playoffs that shouldnt have, or it affected the seedings, you guys wouldn't allow it, so how can you allow this?......maybe have everybody agree that nobody will pick up the guy he drops?
this is actually the best compromise. since he is being forced to drop a player to fill one position that he doesn't want to play, I would say it is fair to let him pick up whatever TE is first on waiver wire, and then drop after the game and get his other player back.

good idea bisket, i would put that out there. other than that though, even though i don't like it, rules are rules and he really needs to play an active TE this week somehow
Old 11-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Fight For Glory

Rewards: 30,366
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 910
Likes (Received): 2108
Tell him to start Kelce. He gets 0 pts.
He could have dropped Kelce and picked up James O’Shaunessy and also gotten 0 pts
Unless your rules state you can’t start a guy who is injured or on a bye week?
Old 11-26-2018, 01:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Can’t start a guy on bye.

Was solved today. My buddy dropped Cook for Doyle which got him 10 pts in our league. Would have won without him either way. He won’t quit though. But it was decided no one else can pick up Cook who he dropped.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Glad it worked out.
To keep the conversation going, if anyone is interested in sharing opinions, I don't agree with this:
"It was decided no one else can pick up Cook, who he dropped."

Any team can pick up a player another team dropped. This is as basic a rule as it gets in Fantasy, no?
But you guys invented a new, temporary rule, on the spot, for this situation?
Or, from now on, is anybody allowed to invoke the "I'm dropping a guy but I'm going to want him back so no one can claim him" clause?

Where do you draw the line?
Who's to stop another player from demanding it, pointing to this as a precedent. "Well, we did it for him, why not me?"

Anarchy! Anarchy!

I get it, everyone agreed to it, but I don't know, just thinking out loud (or, in writing) here, for fun/conversation.
Seems like unnecessary contortions there for the situation.

Would have been funny if one of the other teams still trying to make the playoffs grabbed Cook, and said "Of COURSE I said I wouldn't take him - because I needed him! It's called STRATEGY. Same as when a team puts out false info on who they are going to take in the draft, hoping a guy they want will fall to their place on the board. Or when a coach lies about a player's injury to try and affect this week's opponent's game planning. Strategy - you got played, deal with it, bitches."

That would have been a nightmare/fun scenario.

Last edited by Mr. NASCAR; 11-26-2018 at 10:25 AM.

Tags
commish, drop, grab, player, playoffs