Go Back   Sports Handicapping Forum > Sports Handicapping > MLB Baseball

MLB Baseball MLB Handicapping & Fantasy - Post your MLB picks, talk MLB betting, fantasy baseball - all baseball.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Hall Of Fame '11

Rewards: 2,535
Lightbulb After the 1st Weekend.....

Assuming guys like Hosmer, Moustakis, Morales, Hill, & Ackley are already in starting lineups....

Omar Infante - he was the player Mia had to have for Uggla and ATL almost didn't do it. The Marlins are eventually going to hit and hit big, he's gonna get at least runs and some SBs. 2B is super weak this year. I dropped Neil Walker for him. Hope I don't regret that

Jon Niese - I was actually shocked he was still on the wire, and I made an impulse move dropping Jordan Zim for him. I love Zim, but he's never been a big K guy and usually gets injured. Rumor is he might be on a pitch count too. Niese broke out 2 years ago, and just got paid with the likes of Lester, Gallardo, Holland. He misses bats and can go deep.

Chase Hundley - here's a classic example of a guy who has great tools, but is in a mammoth park and no lineup protection. With 3B being a little weak as always he's a guy worth keeping an eye on

Bartolo Colon - he's gonna have some bad starts, but he's learned how to pitch and is a very friendly park. A's basically freerolling with him so be careful as they may run him in to the ground. But he's very much available.

Chone Figgins - remember him? Could be a big year for him if he wants to get out of Seattle. The M's lineup is better than last year so he could sneak under the radar for runs scored. I read he's also going to be running more. I'm a believer in that talent will always prevail.

Mike Aviles - his availability at 2B, 3B, and SS in a Sox lineup that should put up a ton of runs is reason alone to own him. He's going to have little to no pressure at the plate. 3 years ago he was one of the next big things.

Daniel Murphy - elg at 1,2,3B always under the radar, and the Mets are showing signs of an offense, which leads me too...

Lucas Duda - he went quick on the wire in my league. Light tower power in a ballpark that moved the fences in. He plays a deep position, but keep an eye on him and his twin, Paul Goldschmidt

Vernon Wells - he's well overpaid, but that's not your problem. They added Pujols and got Morales back. He's not being counted on to put up big numbers, but he's been a tad above average in Anaheim. He was once considered a 5 tool player. Don't be shocked if he hits 25 home runs and knocks in 90 this year

I'm not buying Fernando Rodney just yet, as his win and saves weren't quite traditional. Still believe they match up or go with Peralta

Also the reports on Heath Bell look right. Velo down, and location is awful.

Might be smart to scoop as many Tigers as possible.

If you have Mike Trout on your roster, I'd drop him. I don't think he's going to be up before the break. Bryce Harper the complete opposite, they are already bitching about the CF play in Wash. He's the real deal.

Still believe Youklis is a solid 1B option, and I know it's early, but he's hasn't looked good all spring either. He's making me nervous as he's my 1B with Longo @ 3B and Billy Butler UTIL. I drafted Morales for almost this exact reason.

I hope this isn't the year Mariano Rivera finally breaks down as I kinda reached for him. I know he is a slow starter, but at some point, unless he's Jamie Moyer re-incarnated, he has to decline and he's been hinting about retirement this spring. No one knows his body like he does.

Again, it's only been one weekend. But you win leagues on the waiver wire.

Last edited by Seanie Mac; 04-09-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:49 AM

Rewards: 1,689
"Again, it's only been one weekend. But you win leagues on the waiver wire."

agree with this 100%. i don't always draft amazing, but i am like a tiger when it comes to making strong waiver moves and streams. last year i had drafted 4 solid closers, this year i really only had storen and marmol.

now i have storen/lidge (till storens back), marmol, aceves (not giving up on him, im sure he will get more chances, especially as long as bard in the rotation), hector santiago, rodney.

so went from 2 closers to 4/5. gonna see how the aceves and rodney situations pan out before i drop them.

usually every year i find a way to grab a solid bat for my lineup too off waivers. i remember a couple years ago i had picked up hamilton. last year i don't remember but i got someone good.

i want to grab murphy again but don't have the roster space at the moment, i like him and his eligibility but i want guys that can either hit homeruns or steal bases (or both)
Old 04-09-2012, 04:50 AM

and i can't believe duda wasn't drafted in your league, he went around 10th round or so in mine
Old 04-09-2012, 04:52 AM
Hall Of Fame '11

Should read Chase Headley, not Hundley
Old 04-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Hall Of Fame '11

10th round would be one of the biggest reaches I've read about. 16 would be about fair, if that. Too many guys rated ahead of him at 1B.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:00 AM

wow i was way off, guess im a little tired right now i need to get some sleep.

he went 18th, so i can see how he was on waivers. but by now i would think in any competitive league hes scooped
Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 AM

i have butler as my 1b, with swisher as a backup. also picked up trumbo off waivers which im thinking might be a solid move, he could put up some monster numbers. i kept him instead of pena.

mariano was offered to me for yadier molina. i did not entertain the offer, not leaving myself without somone decent at any position for someone that pitches maybe every 4-5 days. and besides i don't pay for closers, look at all the ones i just grabbed for free, if some of those don't pan out i will just hunt down more.

right now in my league the guy was trying to dump mo to everyone, he is going straight up for jamie garcia
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Wu Tang is 4 the children

Rewards: 2,908
I drafted duda in my league because he has OF eligibility, he will hopefully never see 1b on my team
Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 AM

oh i remember who i picked up last year, mike napoli.

every year i pick up a stud somehow, hoping the tradition holds true for another year. that pickup alone got me 2nd place last year and a bye first round
Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 AM
#OccupyMainStreet

Rewards: 401
U dropped a guy hitting cleanup at a very weak position and a Top 30 starting pitcher (Walker and Zimm)?? Has to be a very small league, or at least one you are not interested in winning....
Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 PM
political gambler

Rewards: 372
What about LaRoche in Wash. He has traditionally been a slow starter but through today seems to be hitting very well early.