Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

MLB Baseball MLB Handicapping - Post your MLB picks, talk MLB betting - all baseball.

Likes Likes:  3

Old 10-29-2018, 06:05 PM

Rewards: 160
Post Thanks / Like
Free agency rumors: Yankees reportedly 'lukewarm' on signing Manny Machado...

CBS Sportsline
by R.J. Anderson

The 2018 World Series ended on Sunday night, as the Boston Red Sox dispatched the Los Angeles Dodgers in five games to claim their fourth championship since 2004. The Red Sox's fiercest rivals, the New York Yankees, were paying attention. In fact, the Yankees have been paying attention all postseason -- to the extent that they have reportedly grown "lukewarm" to the idea of signing free-agent infielder Manny Machado due to his October antics.

That's the word per SNY's Andy Martino. Here's the juice:

But as the team watched this postseason, and weighed it against what they already feared about Machado -- that he didn't always run out ground balls, that opponents thought he was a dirty player -- they became even more wary of committing to him for the better part of a decade.

Martino adds that the Yankees still intend to monitor the Machado market. They're just less inclined to go all-out for him, the way they did for CC Sabathia a decade ago.

Machado was involved in a handful of controversies throughout the month. He failed to hustle on a ground ball, and later watched a "home run" that ended up a long single; he explained the earlier act in an interview by stating that he's not "Johnny Hustle"; he stepped on a pair of first basemen (though at least one of those appeared unintentional); and he made a few questionable slides. (That Machado once threw his at bat an opponent always seems to go unmentioned when listing his sins.)

The Yankees aren't the only team who seem to be having second thoughts about committing long-term to Machado. USA Today's Bob Nightengale reported last week the Dodgers have "seen the warts and blemishes that have been exposed underneath the infielder's worldly talent" and are unlikely to re-sign him this winter. The Philadelphia Phillies, the oddsmakers' favorite to land Machado, were also said to have reservations given their fan base's predilections.

Will any of this matter? Probably not.

Machado is a 26-year-old who can at least fake it at shortstop. He just posted a 146 OPS+ -- the best mark of his career -- and he's homered 30-plus times four years running. Would teams find him more desirable if he ran harder or was viewed as a clean player? Sure. Are they going to pass on an MVP-caliber talent because of the aforementioned flaws? Nah. Machado is going to get paid. And it might just be by the Yankees or Phillies or one of these other teams who are perhaps not-so-secretly hoping that Machado's October causes his price to drop a little.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:25 PM

Rewards: 12,702
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 323
Likes (Received): 1291
Why would the Yankees want Machado for shortstop anyways-What's with Did Gregorius?
For me all things considered Didi is an outstanding player like Machado but unlike Machado with a great attitude.
Imo Machado brings bad overall karma and is a dirty player by any definition.
There was talk of the Sox trying to trade for him at the TD-I am sure glad they passed on him.
To be blunt, while Machado does have great physical skills as a player, for me when everything is considered, he is a LOSER especially in life itself and not worth shelling out many millions of dollars over many years if the team considering signing him is really intent on becoming a serious challenger.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:03 PM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 11,334,245
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7966
Yankees and Dodgers both lived & died by the long ball and they both struck out too much. That led to a lack of manufactured runs and the ability to do it. In the postseason it gets magnified.

I do not think Machado makes a lot of sense there in the clubhouse or on the field. I really think the Yankees should trade Sanchez and get a solid defensive catcher behind the plate. And I think a front line starter too. Take some pressure off Severino and make him your #2. Beyond that I wouldn't do much.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:07 PM

Rewards: 39,208
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 377
Likes (Received): 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
Why would the Yankees want Machado for shortstop anyways-What's with Did Gregorius?
For me all things considered Didi is an outstanding player like Machado but unlike Machado with a great attitude.
Imo Machado brings bad overall karma and is a dirty player by any definition.
There was talk of the Sox trying to trade for him at the TD-I am sure glad they passed on him.
To be blunt, while Machado does have great physical skills as a player, for me when everything is considered, he is a LOSER especially in life itself and not worth shelling out many millions of dollars over many years if the team considering signing him is really intent on becoming a serious challenger.
Didi had Tommy John surgery, so the Yankees will be without him for some of the season.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by walk066 View Post
Didi had Tommy John surgery, so the Yankees will be without him for some of the season.
Good point-I forgot about that.
Still though, I think all things considered, Machado is a poor long term investment for the reasons I cited.
If they did like the Dodgers and get him as a short term rental, then fine.
Obviously that is not the case here as Machado and his agent will be seeking a huge long term contract for many years in duration.
I am sure the Yankees can move some of their players around to fill the temporary void and/or pick up a less costly player either via trade or FA.
In short for me he is far, far from a franchise player all things considered, and teams most teams interested in him should think twice about signing him to a mega deal and instead spread their money around to try to fill their needs.

Last edited by savage1; 10-29-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Fwiw, I don't see Machado as the missing piece out there to put any team over the top in the same way that JD Martinez was considered to be with the Sox when they signed him.
Of course his overall production especially would help that of any team signing him, but again the price and years he and his agent will demand may be too much of a gamble.
And the intangibles such as his overall attitude, lack of hustle and image of being a dirty player don't help his case either.
Imo he shouldn't be offered a better contract than JD which is around $110 million for five years with an opt out clause after two years.
JD proved himself big time this year and may very well ask for more money or walk away after next season if he doesn't get what he is seeking and some other team does.
The point here thugh is why should Manny Machado get some of the insane numbers being tossed around here like 300 million or 30 million a year for ten years with the baggage he carries?
Imo if any team is stupid enough to chase him at any coast and meet the contractual demands such as cited above, they are making a huge mistake which may very will come back to haunt them.

Last edited by savage1; 10-30-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:51 AM

Rewards: 44,846
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 534
Likes (Received): 420
I think the Yankees can find a better way to spend their money than signing Machado, like getting a starting pitcher
Old 10-30-2018, 12:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
I think the Yankees can find a better way to spend their money than signing Machado, like getting a starting pitcher
Signing FA's over the years has been an overwhelming failed venture for the Yankees.
They have done the best using home grown talent and/or via trade.
Imo there is nothing to indicate that by signing Machado, history will change for the Yankees.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 11,334,245
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7966
Didn't mhp guarantee the Yankees were getting Harper?
Old 10-30-2018, 03:41 PM

Rewards: 298,536
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 9514
Likes (Received): 8693
harper.. don't care if he hits 325 and 35 for the next 10 years .. he will be over paid
Poster of the Month Award Winner
2009 Co Champ World Series Contest
January 2012 Play of the Day winner
Bracket Buster Survivor 2nd Place
2012 Cappersmall Hall of Fame inductee
2014 PGA Golf Season 1st place
2014 PGA Golf Season Money List 3rd place
2014 LMS Point Spread contest runner up
2016 Golf Team contest 1st place
Old 10-30-2018, 05:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Nothing would make me happier, other than seeing Sox win WS, would be for owners and the GM of all the teams do what DD did with JD Martinez, namely not to give into these players and their greedy agents nor get into a bidding war, but rather draw to a draw a line in the sand and say in effect, "This is our final office and what we are willing to pay you-accept it, shove it and/or or go elsewhere."
There is not a player on the planet who should be guaranteed say a contract in the neighborhood of 300 million for ten years.
Imo players should have to prove themselves with their new teams before they are given carta blanche contracts such as stated above.
Sure Harper, Machado, Trout and players like them are very fine players, but what have their teams ever won, and why should anyone think that shelling out tons of matter will make them instant WS winners?
The Yankees tried this failed approach for years, and it only worked one time with ARod being the player with just that one time out of many years he played with the Yankees.
I actually hope for the sake of the Sox that some team in the AL does sign Machado and/or Harper to a zillion dollar guaranteed contract spread out over a zillion years because imo it is most likely means that it will be one less team that the Sox have to contend with.
As I said yesterday, the only exception I might make would be if the team in question felt that the player in question would put them over the top for the next season.
Even then, I wouldn't offer a contract for more money or years than the one JD received.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Imo what is stated in this article applies to all teams considering signing Machado and perhaps Harper also and not just the Cubs:

As Cubs consider Bryce Harper and Manny Machado, the answer is simple: Neither - Chicago Tribune
Old 11-01-2018, 07:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Lets hope all teams follow suit here:

Report: Big market team has ‘sworn off’ Manny Machado over playoff antics
Old 11-08-2018, 10:01 AM

Rewards: 83,911
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1581
Likes (Received): 3809
As a Cub fan. I would be pissed if the signed Harper and happy with Machado

Anyway just heard its going to be Harper to Philly and Machado to Yanks.

Yanks going to average 6-7 runs a game next year ?
Old 11-08-2018, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
As a Sox fan I wouldn't be upset at all if the Yankees sign Machado for two big reasons:
1) I heard the same shit when the Yankees signed ARod and some other free agents and/or traded for them, namely that Yankees would have a new dynasty win the WS just about every year like they used to, etc.
Well considering they won one WS during his tenure and only one WS overall since 2000 doesn't say much for that kind of thinking.
Then we heard the same thing with Stanton, blah, blah, blah.
now possible Machado.
The bottom line is that TEAMS like the Sox win the WS as they did this year and in 2013 and NOT individuals.
2) As a Sox fan, the thing which imo would work to the Sox advantage if the Yankees sign Machado is that the Sox would get even more fired up by playing the Yankees because they can't stand Machado, one of the big reasons is that he did his part I what could possibly be the end of Pedroia's career with that dirty slide.
They also have a lot of confidence that they can defeat teams on which Manny plays by annihilating the Orioles in the regular season(in all fairness like most teams did) and then taking care of business against the Dodgers.
To be blunt imo Machado is an overall dirty player, a LOSER and would bring bad karma to any team which signs him to a long term contract, I don't care what kind of stats he would put up!
Old 11-19-2018, 06:05 PM

Rewards: 160
Post Thanks / Like
Reggie Jackson weighs in on Machado-Yankees

Nov. 19: Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner said earlier in the week that free agent superstar Manny Machado's comments during the postseason regarding his lack of hustle were "troubling."

Hall of Fame slugger Reggie Jackson, whom the Yankees signed as a free agent back in 1976, spoke to Wallace Matthews of the New York Daily News, saying that Machado's lack of hustle "ain't gonna play here [in New York]."

"I was a pretty good player and I ran hard every single at-bat," Jackson continued. "It takes talent to run fast, but it doesn't take talent to run hard. Effort is the least we can ask of ourselves."

Jackson did take some flak from manager Billy Martin for not running hard after a ball hit by the Red Sox's Jim Rice in a 1977 game, turning a single into a double. An incensed Martin pulled Jackson from the game, leading to a heated argument between the two in the dugout, during which they almost came to blows.

"I only ask one thing of my players," Martin said afterward. "Hustle. If said they hustle for me, they can play for me. I told them in Spring Training. I had a meeting. I told them you play only one way, to win. You play hard and give your 100 percent best. If you don't hustle, I don't accept it. If a player shows up the club, I show up the player."

Machado is expected to command a contract somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years and $300 million or more. The Yankees will open the 2019 season without their starting shortstop, Didi Gregorius, out of action as he recovers from offseason Tommy John surgery. That puts Machado in play for the vacancy, especially considering New York won 100 games in '18 but still lost to the eventual World Series champion Red Sox in the American League Division Series.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE LOU BOYLE View Post
Reggie Jackson weighs in on Machado-Yankees

Nov. 19: Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner said earlier in the week that free agent superstar Manny Machado's comments during the postseason regarding his lack of hustle were "troubling."

Hall of Fame slugger Reggie Jackson, whom the Yankees signed as a free agent back in 1976, spoke to Wallace Matthews of the New York Daily News, saying that Machado's lack of hustle "ain't gonna play here [in New York]."

"I was a pretty good player and I ran hard every single at-bat," Jackson continued. "It takes talent to run fast, but it doesn't take talent to run hard. Effort is the least we can ask of ourselves."

Jackson did take some flak from manager Billy Martin for not running hard after a ball hit by the Red Sox's Jim Rice in a 1977 game, turning a single into a double. An incensed Martin pulled Jackson from the game, leading to a heated argument between the two in the dugout, during which they almost came to blows.

"I only ask one thing of my players," Martin said afterward. "Hustle. If said they hustle for me, they can play for me. I told them in Spring Training. I had a meeting. I told them you play only one way, to win. You play hard and give your 100 percent best. If you don't hustle, I don't accept it. If a player shows up the club, I show up the player."

Machado is expected to command a contract somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 years and $300 million or more. The Yankees will open the 2019 season without their starting shortstop, Didi Gregorius, out of action as he recovers from offseason Tommy John surgery. That puts Machado in play for the vacancy, especially considering New York won 100 games in '18 but still lost to the eventual World Series champion Red Sox in the American League Division Series.
Imo only an incredibly dumb/stupid and incompetent GM would sign any player on the entire planet for 300 million and for 10 years provided his name is not God.

Tags
decade, machado, phillies, player, yankees