Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

MLB Baseball MLB Handicapping - Post your MLB picks, talk MLB betting - all baseball.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:35 PM

Rewards: 15,681
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 585
Likes (Received): 1421
Inasmuch as you try to portray me as a Sox homer and a Yankee hater, that is hardly the case
If for example you consider what I have said for the last few days re: their keeping Gardner and supporting the move as opposed to you who don't agree with the move, what you said overall makes no sense.
I call things as I see them.
Just today in the Sox thread I expressed what would be negative thoughts should the Sox not retain Eovaldi.
You keep trying to portray me as the Johnny Most of the Red Sox when it comes to evaluating them and their opponents including the Yankees, whereas in the my Sox commentary and elsewhere I have expressed lots of doubts about them.
Re: Machado, my comments/opinions while in this case directed toward the Yankees, would be the same if ANY team including the Sox obtained Machado and signed him or ANY player to a 10 year contract for 300 million without proving his worth with them first.
Dombrowski got it right with the contract with JD Martinez by not giving into the original absurd demands of Scott Boras and winning/prevailing with a much more reasonable and less costly contract rather than a long term and guaranteed contract for many, many years.
Now that he has PROVEN himself as a member of the Sox rather than as a member of another team, if DD offers him a more lucrative contract over the next few years, that is fine with me.
On the other hand for DD, the Yankees or any other team to simply assume that someone like Machado would automatically be a superstar and lead them to the WS and thus offer him the likes of a guaranteed contract of 300 million for ten years imo is just plain stupid and makes no sense and is a horrible risk and gamble!
Old 11-29-2018, 04:39 PM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 16,703,184
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5459
Likes (Received): 9726
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knight View Post
They need to fill the void at short with Didi out and he adds a solid bat.

His defense at 3rd is one of the best in the game and Yankees still aren't sold on Andujar even with his solid offense. Might not put them over the top but his addition sure wouldn't hurt.
I didn't watch all Yankee games last year but i watched a lot and IMO their biggest problem was behind the plate. Sanchez is awful and i don't care how good his bat is, if you have a horrible catcher it affects everything. He just seems to make so many mistakes and he never seems to be on the same page with the pitcher either. I swear the mound visit rule was because of him.

They have plenty of offense and if they could land a Molina type behind the plate, that would be the biggest difference maker.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:04 PM

Rewards: 42,965
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 13673
Likes (Received): 25086
Yankees are 100% committed to Gary. Slumping, laziness ... he isn't going anywhere. Remember they chose Sanchez over Girardi and Boone was a downgrade compared to Joe.

The biggest difference maker was pitching.

They won 100 games with a very mediocre starting pitching staff, no true 1st baseman, Judge missing almost 1/3rd of the season, Sanchez total wasted year and Boone single handedly losing a handful of games himself with terrible decisions. You could almost say a shitty season and still grabbed 100 wins.

Sure it's been awhile since their last ring, but the Yanks are right there with Boston with the team they have now ... and are on the verge of major upgrades with pitching and possibly Machado.

Last edited by New York Knight; 11-29-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
I really didn’t think their pitching was the problem at all. I thought they were top 4-5 in mlb in era? If I had to choose it would be that they strike out too much and struggle to manufacture a run when they needed it in the postseason and catcher. I swear every time I watched them Sanchez had me scratching my head behind the plate. I don’t understand sticking with him but they must know more than me. IMO he is a DH and a backup catcher and no more
Old 11-29-2018, 05:32 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
And you are right about lazy. Lazy running out balls and behind the plate. Just awful
Old 11-29-2018, 05:33 PM

Rewards: 15,742
Post Thanks / Like
Fancred Sports
Jon Heyman
November 29, 2018

The Marlins are busy talking to teams about J.T. Realmuto, the de facto best catcher in the game. The Astros, Dodgers and Yankees are among many teams that have showed interest. Houston is seen as a possible destination, but as of Tuesday, Marlins people denied the Astro were in the lead.

The Astros are believed willing to include Kyle Tucker, who is the type of lefthanded hitter the Marlins like, but probably not top pitching prospect Forrest Whitley. The issue with the Yankees’ talks apparently is that they still hold Gary Sanchez in high enough regard that they have resisted offering other top pieces in a package with Sanchez. The Marlins, who are run by ex-Yankee types (Derek Jeter, Gary Denbo) seem to like Sanchez as well but are hoping for a major package for Realmuto.

Teams have complained about a big request for Realmuto, but after all, he is generally thought to be the best catcher in the game, and the free-agent catching list, while long with solid players, isn’t exactly stocked with stars. Not much has been written or said about this, but weeks ago the Marlins and Realmuto’s camp talked about a possible extension, and they were so far apart that a trade seems even likelier than before.

Realmuto is believed to have named a price, but like the team’s trade price, it was suitably high (he is after all the top catcher in the game). Sources suggested it was in the ballpark of Buster Posey’s old deal with the Giants, and even though the Marlins love Realmuto they would wish to draw a distinction with Posey, who had been an MVP and a multiple champion when he signed his $167 million extension.

Jeff Berry, whose reasons to predict a trade several weeks back seem clear now, after understanding that the sides made no progress to a contract, didn’t want to characterize or even discuss those talks since they lack relevancy at this point, calling them “old news.” It may not be that relevant either, as it is possible that Realmuto went high because he prefers a trade, which seems obvious.

Another person pointed out that while Posey was more accomplished (Realmuto made his first All-Star team and won his first Silver Slugger last year), the comparison is apples and oranges since Realmuto is only two years from free agency while Posey, as a super two at that time, was four years away.

In any case the Marlins are likely more amenable to trade now, which makes sense since no one sees them as a contender within the two years that remain for Realmuto. About half the teams could use Realmuto, and while the trio of teams most oft mentioned (Astros, Dodgers, Yankees) may be most likely, the reality is he could help just about anyone.

The Red Sox’ catching situation is solid defensively but Realmuto would make baseball’s best lineup even better (plus his old friend Andy Barkett is with Boston now as assistant hitting coach; he managed Realmuto in Double A); however, it is hard to see what the Red Sox could offer in the way of prospects and young players.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
For me Machado's contract at best should be structured to that of JD's Martinez and certainly not of the guaranteed 300 million and ten years variety.
Sure Machado is younger, but on the other hand that also means that there is more probability that something negative could occur over say an 8-10 year time frame.

J.D. Martinez Contract Details, Salaries, & Earnings | Spotrac
Old 11-29-2018, 05:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Re:Realmuto,,with Jeter calling the shots, who is to say that it is not within the realm of possibility that the Marlins could literally give him away to the Yankees in the same way as they did with Stanton. lol

Last edited by savage1; 11-29-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:41 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
If I am cashman I figure out a way to put Stanton at 1B or LF. I DH Sanchez and I go get a great game caller and defensive stud behind the plate. You can use Bird if healthy to DH/1B and give guys a break if needed
Old 11-29-2018, 05:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
Re:Realmuto,,with Jeter calling the shots, who is to say that it is not within the realm of possibility that the Marlins could literally give him away to the Yankees in the same way as they did Stanton. lol
I'm hoping my Dodgers sign him. We are in desperate need of a catcher, one who preferably knows how to catch a damn fastball...See World Series results!

BLB
Old 11-29-2018, 05:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE LOU BOYLE View Post
I'm hoping my Dodgers sign him. We are in desperate need of a catcher, one who preferably knows how to catch a damn fastball...See World Series results!

BLB
Of course you want the Dodgers to sign him as just about any team would.
Even though the Sox won the WS with their catcher by committee crew, Realmuto would blow all of them away in comparison and would be a huge addition to the team.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Sanchez is 2 years younger than Realmuto, and comes with two additional seasons of team control. While Sanchez struggled at the plate in 2018, he is on par, if not a better hitter than Realmuto.

Sanchez in 2017 ...

.278/.345/.531 triple-slash, 33 home runs, and a 129 wRC+

Realmuto breakout 2018 season ...

.277/.340/.484 with 21 home runs (126 wRC+)

Basically a healthy Sanchez.

Why would the Yankees make this move? Maybe they’re afraid of the shoulder surgery that Sanchez just had. If that was the case, though, why would the Marlins want him? Plus, shouldn’t it be the other way around? Sanchez is younger and controllable. Wouldn’t the Marlins have to kick in additional pieces to make this work? It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

On the defensive front, Realmuto has the edge in blocking. Otherwise, he’s a poor framer. Sanchez is vastly superior according to StatCorner’s +Call mark.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:46 AM

Rewards: 73,297
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 572
Likes (Received): 499
Something to keep in mind regarding the comparison between Sanchez and Realmuto, Sanchez plays half of his games in a hitter's park, Realmuto plays half of his in a pitcher's park. Also, the AL East is loaded with hitter's parks, Tampa is the only one that isn't, the NL East has only one hitter's park and that's in Philadelphia. Put Sanchez on the Marlins and his numbers probably dip, put Realmuto on the Yankees and his numbers probably increase, when you combine everything I think Realmuto is the better overall player, but it's not by a big margin.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Almost everybody overlooks the strong aspects of Sanchez’s catching game, an unfortunate side effect of his struggles with blocking. A costly passed ball lingers in the mind longer than a brilliantly framed pitch or a terrific throw, but they all represent important elements of a catcher’s job. It’s not fair to dismiss him as a backstop based on one weakness.

Take pitch framing for example. Sanchez stands out as an above-average receiver in this regard. According to StatCorner, he ranks as the 9th best framer among catchers who have seen 4,000+ pitches this season. That’s out of 25 qualified backstops.

Over the course of the season, Sanchez essentially bought 14 extra strikes for his pitchers. If that seems insignificant, but Tanaka and Sonny Gray aren’t easy to catch, also Sabathia lives on the corners these days. Sanchez’s ability to present balls as strikes has a definite, positive result on the game.

Sanchez also has a cannon. His throwing ability places him in the upper-echelons of all catchers in baseball. He owns an average 86.7 mph arm speed and a 1.95 pop time to second base. Out of 101 qualified catchers, those marks rank him 6th and 12th.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I would love to have a tape of all the Jeter and Cashman talks/conversations
before the deal in which the Yankees obtained Stanton and since the talk of Realmuto being moved began.
Imo they just might be a but revealing.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Teams have called Cashman about availability of Aaron Hicks, Cashman is not shopping Hicks but teams are circling as word is starting to leak that Yankees are quietly pursuing Harper ...
Old 12-03-2018, 11:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
STAMFORD, Conn. -- As baseball's Hot Stove season simmers leading up to next week's Winter Meetings, Gary Sanchez's name continues to appear in rumors. The latest came this week, when MLB Network insider Jon Heyman (writing for Fancred) mentioned Sanchez's name in trade tandem with J.T. Realmuto, whom the Marlins are actively shopping this winter.

But Yankees general manager Brian Cashman says Sanchez isn't going anywhere.

Cashman on Sunday vehemently shot down the idea that Sanchez is available, calling the proposed Realmuto-for-Sanchez offer "completely false." In doing so, Cashman echoed sentiments he's made throughout the offseason regarding his former All-Star backstop.

"I would say follow my words," Cashman said. "Anybody who is saying otherwise, as of right now, they'd be wrong, completely."

That doesn't mean teams haven't inquired about Sanchez's availability. Several have, Cashman confirmed, clarifying that any discussions regarding Sanchez have been spearheaded by other clubs and rebuffed on the Yankees' end.

Cashman's comments came after participating in the holiday-themed Heights and Lights kickoff event in downtown Stamford, Conn. As he has in previous years, Cashman rappelled down a 22-story building as part of the festivities.

He was asked about Sanchez after a clip was posted on social media of Cashman's interview with YES Network's Jack Curry, which will air Monday at 6 pm ET. In the interview, Cashman calls Sanchez "not for sale."

"We're not talking Gary Sanchez with anybody, although I've been asked," Cashman reiterated. "By the teams that have asked, poll the people who have connections to those teams and they'd say we asked and were told that they aren't moving Gary Sanchez."

Part of the reason, Cashman said, is that the Yankees expect Sanchez to bounce back. They point to the nagging shoulder injury, which required surgery on Nov. 8, as at least partially to blame for Sanchez's career-worst .186/.291/.406 line in 2018, when he also missed significant time with groin ailments. Sanchez hit .283 with 53 home runs and a .920 OPS in his first 177 big league games prior to last season.

"Without question, it was definitely a factor in irritating him this year," Cashman said. "Obviously more so that we expected, since he had to have surgery. We look forward to him coming back and being what we saw a little in the postseason, and what we saw from him in the previous years."
Old 12-09-2018, 05:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Yankees will meet with Machado but word is they will not pay $300M for him ...

Phillies, White Sox seen as main competitors.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Imo any team which signs Machado or anyone to a 300 million guaranteed contract for 8-10 years by so doing, automatically decreases rather than increases their chances of winning a WS for the duration of the contract unless they move him along the way.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Sounds like Thor may be heading to the NYY and JT to the Mets?
Old 12-11-2018, 01:43 PM

Rewards: 313,859
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 10932
Likes (Received): 10269
I would approve that
Poster of the Month Award Winner
2009 Co Champ World Series Contest
January 2012 Play of the Day winner
Bracket Buster Survivor 2nd Place
2012 Cappersmall Hall of Fame inductee
2014 PGA Golf Season 1st place
2014 PGA Golf Season Money List 3rd place
2014 LMS Point Spread contest runner up
2016 Golf Team contest 1st place
Old 12-13-2018, 09:31 AM
cappersmall VIP

Rewards: 602
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2136
Likes (Received): 7470
Harper to white sox?

He likes Chicago, has a close friend in KB, and they have the money. Division is weak and he gets the chance to be "The Man" on the team, with all kinds of opportunities for extra $$$$.

Cubs can't afford him, at the moment, but need him
Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
If he goes to the CWS, he doesn't care about winning. I think he ends up in L.A.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:49 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
I am going to just start erasing posts and banning you from threads when you make it personal bob. Act like an adult. Sick of talking about the subject at hand in threads and receiving your bullshit in return.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Aaron Boone, speaking at the Winter Meetings about Gary Sánchez: "This is going to be a huge year of growth for him. The adversity he went through will help him." Sánchez, who had been rehabbing in Tampa from a recent shoulder surgery, is back training in the Dominican Republic. According to Brian Cashman, the "heavy lifting" portion of his rehab has concluded

Tags
decade, machado, phillies, player, yankees