Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

MLB Baseball MLB Handicapping - Post your MLB picks, talk MLB betting - all baseball.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 AM

Rewards: 12,690
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 323
Likes (Received): 1291
Although I think Houston is going to win the series, one thing that I wonder about is the fact that during the season Houston lost eight consecutive home games.
And of course I realize that some of their key players were injured, which was part of the reason for the losing streak, but still that is a lot of home games to lose in a row at home.
The losing streak came against the likes of Seattle and Texas and one game against Colorado.
Imo it is hard to imagine the Sox losing that many consecutive home games if say JD and Betts were out but then again who knows for sure.
Most importantly though Houston went the like of 21-6 in September, won 103 games during the regular season and swept out Cleveland in the first round.
In conclusion it is probably wishful thinking on my part that the eight game home losing streak at home means anything, but at this point I need at least something to hang my hat on to think that the Sox have a decent chance to win this series.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Nice article which involves the success of JD Martinez vs Stanton this season.

Madden: Yankees and Red Sox determined their fates in the offseason with these two moves
Old 10-14-2018, 12:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
You saw the big problem in action tonight-lousy bullpen when the Sox needed it in the ninth to have shot.
You can't be optimistic tomorrow with Price going.
I will even go so far as to say that if the Sox lose tomorrow, this could be a four game sweep, which would mark the first time all season that the Sox would have lost four consecutive games.
On the other hand, you got to give credit to Houston for getting it done.
I have felt for a while that this is easily the best balanced team in baseball, and any team which has hopes of beating them out for the WS will have to be at the very best with very few lapses.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I am not optimistic at all about the chances of the Sox tonight.
If Price falters early and the Sox fall behind, it doesn't present a pretty picture except for the over which I am playing tonight.
Imo if the worst case scenario develops, the Astros will put the game over by themselves.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Well at least for tonight they got two of the most important things they need to have a chance, namely decent help from the bp especially Porcello and help from the bottom of the lineup.
Kimbrel has to do better than he has shown-two outs, no one on and then trouble with the tying run at the plate right after that gut wrenching game against the Yankees.
On to Houston for round three.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
In last post second line should read Barnes and Porcello
Old 10-15-2018, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I will be amazed if either one of the NL team entries wins the WS no matter who they play and for that matter if the series goes beyond five games. although this Milwaukee seems to be some kind of team of destiny.
As I write this, it just went from 2-0 to 4-0 on a home run by Arcia.

Last edited by savage1; 10-15-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If only the Sox had Bregman playing third!
Old 10-16-2018, 08:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming as to what I just saw!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Maybe this capper is the one we should follow for the rest of the playoffs and maybe in all sports based on this prediction and final score. lol

Boston Red Sox vs. Houston Astros Preview and Predictions 10-16-2018 in MLB

MLB Previews 15th October 2018 by Gracenote
Red Sox vs. Astros Preview and Predictions

by Gracenote on 10/15/2018

The Boston Red Sox got an MVP-like performance from one of their stars in Game 2 and managed to even the best-of-seven American League Championship Series at one win apiece. Mookie Betts and company now must win one of the next three games at the Houston Astros, beginning with Tuesday's Game 3.

Betts scored a pair of runs and drove in another in Sunday's 7-5 triumph as Boston's offense, which led the majors in batting average and runs scored during the regular season, woke up after a quiet Game 1. "I just go out and do what I can to help the team win, try and be consistent in having some good at-bats and getting some timely hits and whatnot," Betts told reporters. "But it's not just me. We've got 25 guys out here to win." The Astros made it as interesting as they could, with Alex Bregman representing the tying run and flying out to the warning track to end the game, and said they feel confident heading home. "We didn't play our best game today," Bregman told reporters after the loss. "We had a lot of traffic on the bases all night. We're going to keep putting pressure on them, keep competing, and if we do that, I like our chances."

TV: 5:09 p.m. ET, TBS

PITCHING MATCHUP: Red Sox RH Nathan Eovaldi (1-0,1.29 ERA) vs. Astros LH Dallas Keuchel (0-0, 3.60)

Eovaldi owns the only quality start among Boston pitchers in the postseason after dominating the New York Yankees in Game 3 of the AL Division Series. The 28-year-old scattered one run and five hits over seven innings while striking out five and not walking a batter. Eovaldi started at Houston as a member of the Tampa Bay Rays on June 20 and was knocked around for four runs on seven hits - four solo homers - in six innings to suffer the loss.

Keuchel surrendered two runs and four hits in five innings at Cleveland in Game 3 of the ALDS but did not factor in the decision in a game the Astros went onto win 11-3. The former Cy Young Award winner won his lone start against Boston in the 2017 ALDS but was not sharp against the Red Sox on Sept. 9, when he was knocked around for five runs and nine hits in six frames. Keuchel posted a 4-6 record with a 3.90 ERA in 16 home starts during the regular season.

WALK-OFFS

1. The Astros have homered in a postseason-record 14 consecutive games.

2. Boston LHP Chris Sale was hospitalized Sunday because of a stomach ailment and did not travel with the team but is expected to make his Game 5 start.

3. Houston OF George Springer went 2-for-5 in Game 2 to extend his postseason hitting streak to a franchise-record 11 straight games.

PREDICTION: Red Sox 8, Astros 2
Old 10-17-2018, 04:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
Make you series prediction here.
I am going to say Houston in six games as follows:
Game 1 Red Sox
Game 2 Astros
Game 3 Astros
Game 4 Red Sox
Game 5 Astros
Game 6 Astros
Well I have called every game WRONG so far.
Maybe I will get it right tonight, although based on the circumstances, I would change my call for Game 4 to Houston tonight.
Anyways, obviously we will have to wait and see.
And oh yes the person who predicted the exact score yesterday with Sox winning sees Houston prevailing today:

Boston Red Sox vs. Houston Astros Preview and Predictions 10-17-2018 in MLB

MLB Previews 16th October 2018 by Gracenote
Red Sox vs. Astros Preview and Predictions

by Gracenote on 10/16/2018

The Boston Red Sox attempt to take a 3-1 lead when they visit the Houston Astros on Wednesday for Game 4 of the American League Championship Series. Jackie Bradley Jr. broke Game 3 open with a grand slam in the eighth inning as Boston posted an 8-2 victory to win its second straight in the series.

Bradley's blast was the sixth postseason slam in Red Sox history and it put a capper on the team's solid performance. "It's a credit to him, because at this level, when you're hitting .180 after two months or I think it was three months, it is hard," Red Sox manager Alex Cora said during his postgame press conference. "And he kept showing up. He kept working. He kept working his craft. Now you see the results." The defending World Series champion Astros aren't overly worried about trailing through three games as they had to win the final two games of the 2017 ALCS to knock out the New York Yankees. "There's no pouting around here. There's no panic around here," Houston manager A.J. Hinch said in his postgame press conference. "It's just get ready for (Wednesday's) game. We've done a really good job of being focused on what the next situation is."

TV: 8:39 p.m. ET, TBS

PITCHING MATCHUP: Red Sox RH Rick Porcello (1-0, 1.35 ERA) vs. Astros RH Charlie Morton (regular season: 15-3, 3.13)

Porcello, a 17-game winner in the regular season, struck out two in a scoreless inning of relief in Game 2 of this series. The 29-year-old won his lone start of the AL Division Series when he gave up one run and four hits over five innings against the Yankees and he said he has adjusted to the dual role. "I think as a starter you're trying to cover the course of a whole ballgame, so you're kind of trying to keep your emotions in check just because you've got a lot of baseball to pitch," Porcello said at his press conference. "You don't want to get too high, too low, whatever it is."

Morton posted career highs for victories and strikeouts (201) but this will be his first appearance of the postseason. The 34-year-old has pitched just four innings over the last month with his last outing being a three-inning stint against the Baltimore Orioles on Sept. 30. "I tried to keep playing catch, and I threw a lot of (batting practice), threw a bullpen all in the past week and a half," Morton said at his press conference. "So we discussed just trying to get some rest, take advantage of this time and try to stay sharp at the same time."

WALK-OFFS

1. Red Sox LHP Chris Sale (stomach) rejoined the team and will throw a bullpen session Wednesday before the team decides whether or not he will start Thursday's Game 5.

2. Houston 2B Jose Altuve (knee) served as the DH in Game 3 and Hinch is leaning toward keeping him in that role in Game 4.

3. Boston DH J.D. Martinez had a run-scoring double in Game 3, his lone hit in 11 at-bats in the series.

PREDICTION: Astros 6, Red Sox 5

Last edited by savage1; 10-17-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:09 PM

Rewards: 951
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 314
Likes (Received): 78
Whatís your take on tonight Savage.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Played Sox RL and over 8 GL Savage
Old 10-17-2018, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks98 View Post
Played Sox RL and over 8 GL Savage
Oops-sorry Hawks-just saw this past and the other one.
Long way to go but you are off to a good start.
Good luck-hope you win them both.
Just like that it is 3-2.
I like the over bet a bit more than the side bet.

Last edited by savage1; 10-17-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Kimbrel has lost his light's out closer status for now-VERY shaky of late no matter how he has been used.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:13 AM
Retired

Rewards: 253
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 4918
Likes (Received): 4691
He has been awful.

Wow David Price???
Old 10-18-2018, 01:14 AM
Retired

Rewards: 253
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 4918
Likes (Received): 4691
Man have there been some catches saving games the last couple nights. Unreal catch. That scores 3 if he misses it. He never hesitated.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Tough game to lose for the Astros and great game to win for the Sox and especially so since they have to win three consecutive games now to advance.
And yes it was do or die catch for Benintendi and he came through, but on the other hand it was the same for Reddick and the catch he made.
Upon further review imo Altuve's ball should have been ruled a home run because my understanding of the rule is that once the ball leaves the park, which it clearly did, the interference ruling no longer exists.
That said a smart and knowledgeable fan and especially an Astros fan should have just got out of the way and put his self serving interests of getting a souvenir second to possibly interfering with the outcome of the game.
The Sox have been on the shit end of some of Joe West's calls over the year like all teams.
It is a pretty sad situation indeed when an incompetent umpire who revels in trying to make himself the center of attention is not only allowed to continue to be an umpire, but one who is umpiring key playoff games where a critical call can not only be a deciding factor in the game but in the entire outcome of the series!
Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
He has been awful.

Wow David Price???
I love Cora as a manager but really, at this point using him as a two inning closer against a great team when he has struggled badly of late being just a one inning closer????
Old 10-18-2018, 09:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I know this is really stretching and perhaps I am being a bit sarcastic, but perhaps like in football there are times when they replay the down(when both teams foul on the same play), there ought to be a rule in baseball which would on rare occasions like this one, allow the umpire in chief to simply call Altuve's ball a no play and simply replay the pitch/out. lol
Old 10-18-2018, 09:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I will go even further than what I said in previous post.
Perhaps in addition to an umpire's call and instant replay, there ought to be a clause which allows some kind of compromise on a play like Altuve's where ball goes into or near stands and/there is some question as to whether there is fan interference or not.
The compromise in a case like this would be to neither call it a hr or a double but rather to simply call it a ground rule double.
In essence that would be fair and just, and neither team would and/or should walk away unhappy.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Whatís the call for today Savage?
Old 10-18-2018, 03:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks98 View Post
What’s the call for today Savage?
lol-I wish I knew.
You can make the case that Houston is reeling and demoralized and will just roll over for the Sox and/or that the Sox are really psyched and confident now after the amazing game last night.
On the other hand, one could argue Houston is going to be very motivated today and especially so as not to get eliminated before their own fans today and/or that the Sox could have a let down knowing that even if they lose the next two games(in needed) will be at Fenway needing only one win to take the series.
Price and his miserable postseason record doesn't help their case today.
I will of course be rooting for the Sox, but if someone pointed a gun at my head and told me to pick the game, I would pick the Astros to win.
Also, if I was going to bet the game as a neutral observer, I would bet Houston on the run line as it is a much better deal than the almost 2-1 moneyline last time I looked, figuring that this is not going to be that close a game.
On the other hand, if I was going to bet the Sox, I would not bet the moneyline for the same reason because I don't see a close game one way or the other.
Keep in mind though that so far I am 1-3 with my Sox picks in this series so far, meaning that you are better off using your own judgment. lol
I picked Houston today in my original scenario as well as in game six, which would finish off the Sox.
No real opinion on the total although on the surface one coud make a close for the over if the game turns out to be one sided.
Good luck with whatever you do!
Old 10-18-2018, 04:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Savage, hope Sox win,I think there will be some runs scored again, there for Iíll be on the Over. Thanks 🤙🏾🤙🏾
Old 10-18-2018, 09:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Iím wrong today.......

Tags
games, imo, losing, sox, win