Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

Notices

MLB Baseball MLB Handicapping - Post your MLB picks, talk MLB betting - all baseball.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:05 PM

Rewards: 13,059
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 343
Likes (Received): 1303
I see the line is LA -150.
If and only if I had a series bet on the Dodgers at this juncture(I don't have a wager on the series myself), I would take anywhere to 1/4 to 1/2 of the amount wagered and bet it on the Sox tonight or just let my original bet ride and not bet more on the Dodgers in tonight's game
jmho
Old 10-28-2018, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Even though I said originally that if Sox lost the WS, I would still consider it a very highly entertaining and successful season, I got to say now that if LA wins tonight and the next two in Boston, for me it would be a very bitter and disappointing ending to the season and will take a lot of luster off as to what has happened up until now.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Each of the WS have won, 2004, 2007, 2017 and now 2018 had a special and different feel to it with 2004 being extra special since it ended the 86 year drought and because they came back from down 0 games to 3 against the Yankees to take the ALCS before even getting to the WS.
2007 was most memorable for me first because of the spectacular comeback against Cleveland to advance before getting to WS and disposing of a Colorado team which had its own Cinderella story to get there before just running out of gas and getting swept by the Sox even though imo they were overmatched to begin with.
What can I say about 2013?-finishing dead last the year before, then adding some players who were regarded as ok but not great and being picked to finish dead last again-they were 100-1 odds to win WS before season started.
We all remember the great contributions of Papi and Ellsbury during the season and especially during the post season to win it as well as Pedroia, Lester, Lackey, Peavy as well as the amazing and unexpected seasons of Victorino, Nava as well as the contributions of Buchholz and big contributions of folks like Gomes and Salty.
Winning the WS that year was even more satisfying and gratifying because of the Boston Massacre that year.
For me although winning the WS in 2013 against the Cardinals was thrilling and rewarding, the series against the Tigers before it and the way in which they won it especially with Papi's memorable HR, which imo turned the whole series around, was at least as memorable and satisfying.
In short the season certainly was a rags to riches story.
2018-what can I say really that hasn't been said already?
The entire regular season, the post season including the WS were things of orchestrated beauty, poetry in motion if you will, with so many players contributing so much and especially at the appropriate time and especially so in the post season when the guys expected to perform well faltered a bit and were picked up by the other players by getting the big hit at the right time and with so many pitchers stepping up big time at the right moment.
All of this occurred not only because of the players but because the manager, Alex Cora, who held the team so well together and who was almost flawless in his in game decision making.
It goes without saying that equal credit has to be given to Dave Dombrowski for putting this team together with the additions of the likes of JD Martinez and the incredible insight he had to add the likes of Steve Pearce and Nathan Eovaldi to the roster.
To be fair, yes the Red Sox had a huge payroll(the highest in the majors) and some great talent to begin with, but still to watch the likes of David Price finally come through in the post season as well as players like Jackie Bradley, Steve Pearce, Eovaldi, the bottom of the lineup in general as well as the bp to come through big time so well and unexpectedly during the post season and WS was a thing of beauty.
Again, each WS I described above has its own special good feeling to it for Sox fans.
However winning 108 games and then relatively breezing through the playoffs against the Yankees who won 100 games and then the defending champs, the Astros who won 103 games before winning it all against a very good Dodgers team carries its own wonderful significance.
In short, it is hard to imagine that we will ever see another Sox team duplicate what this team just did.
At this moment though I just feel so happy, grateful and blessed to have witnessed this incredible , wonderful and most entertaining season!!
Old 10-29-2018, 04:46 PM

Rewards: 173
Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
Each of the WS have won, 2004, 2007, 2017 and now 2018 had a special and different feel to it with 2004 being extra special since it ended the 86 year drought and because they came back from down 0 games to 3 against the Yankees to take the ALCS before even getting to the WS.
2007 was most memorable for me first because of the spectacular comeback against Cleveland to advance before getting to WS and disposing of a Colorado team which had its own Cinderella story to get there before just running out of gas and getting swept by the Sox even though imo they were overmatched to begin with.
What can I say about 2013?-finishing dead last the year before, then adding some players who were regarded as ok but not great and being picked to finish dead last again-they were 100-1 odds to win WS before season started.
We all remember the great contributions of Papi and Ellsbury during the season and especially during the post season to win it as well as Pedroia, Lester, Lackey, Peavy as well as the amazing and unexpected seasons of Victorino, Nava as well as the contributions of Buchholz and big contributions of folks like Gomes and Salty.
Winning the WS that year was even more satisfying and gratifying because of the Boston Massacre that year.
For me although winning the WS in 2013 against the Cardinals was thrilling and rewarding, the series against the Tigers before it and the way in which they won it especially with Papi's memorable HR, which imo turned the whole series around, was at least as memorable and satisfying.
In short the season certainly was a rags to riches story.
2018-what can I say really that hasn't been said already?
The entire regular season, the post season including the WS were things of orchestrated beauty, poetry in motion if you will, with so many players contributing so much and especially at the appropriate time and especially so in the post season when the guys expected to perform well faltered a bit and were picked up by the other players by getting the big hit at the right time and with so many pitchers stepping up big time at the right moment.
All of this occurred not only because of the players but because the manager, Alex Cora, who held the team so well together and who was almost flawless in his in game decision making.
It goes without saying that equal credit has to be given to Dave Dombrowski for putting this team together with the additions of the likes of JD Martinez and the incredible insight he had to add the likes of Steve Pearce and Nathan Eovaldi to the roster.
To be fair, yes the Red Sox had a huge payroll(the highest in the majors) and some great talent to begin with, but still to watch the likes of David Price finally come through in the post season as well as players like Jackie Bradley, Steve Pearce, Eovaldi, the bottom of the lineup in general as well as the bp to come through big time so well and unexpectedly during the post season and WS was a thing of beauty.
Again, each WS I described above has its own special good feeling to it for Sox fans.
However winning 108 games and then relatively breezing through the playoffs against the Yankees who won 100 games and then the defending champs, the Astros who won 103 games before winning it all against a very good Dodgers team carries its own wonderful significance.
In short, it is hard to imagine that we will ever see another Sox team duplicate what this team just did.
At this moment though I just feel so happy, grateful and blessed to have witnessed this incredible , wonderful and most entertaining season!!
Well said savage!!

Even with the Dodgers losing, at least I'm getting a World Series hat and program out of it. Not to mention next year's media guides from the respective teams.

Great season for sure - post-season was very entertaining this season!!

BLB
Old 10-29-2018, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
BKB-as a Sox diehard for many years, I look forward in anticipation of every new season with the hopes that it will be an enjoyable and exciting exciting one.
In some seasons like this one, I have hit the jackpot, as the season was not only enjoyable and exciting but the Sox won the ultimate the prize, the World Series.
Obviously 2004, 2007 and 2013 the same was true.
In some seasons like 2017 and 2016, the seasons were enjoyable because the Sox made the playoffs although they fell short.
Along the way I have also experienced mediocre seasons where Sox were so-so-above 500 with some exciting games and players but not much more.
Then there were years like the terrible ones where they finished last like in 2012 under Bobby Valentin and where it is simply was not fun to watch their games.
The September Collapse in 2012 was not fun overall either for obvious reasons.
All that said, as a rabid Sox fan since 1952, I always try to find something positive about the season even in the bad ones in the hope that they will build upon that in the following season.
The memories of this season along with the other years I cited in previous posts will last forever whereas the lesser seasons have pretty much faded away except perhaps for a memory of a particular player who excelled or one who was very bad in that season.
In spite of all the misery and frustration suffered up until 1967 when things changed dramatically for the better with many more enjoyable seasons, I feel very lucky to have experienced four WS beginning in 2004 as well as a lot more enjoyable seasons than ones which were not so enjoyable-lots of fans from other teams cannot say the same thing, and in a number of cases for all intents and purposes, their season is over before it begins as far as their team being seriously in the hunt.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Very nice ceremonies, parade and overall wonderful,satisfying and gratifying day of celebration for all Sox fans!
Old 10-31-2018, 11:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Imo here is a big reason why Sox won it all.
It echoes my sentiment which I have expressed for years that just assembling players with great skills at as many positions as possible is simply not enough.
Intangibles/chemistry were just as important if not more so in the 2013 season.

J.D. Martinez Explains Why Red Sox Were So Closely Knit In 2018 Season | Boston Red Sox | NESN.com
Old 11-01-2018, 09:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
All I can say if this rumor is true, is NO NO NO!!!
Imo relying on either one of these guys to close especially Barnes because he happened to pitch well in playoffs would be pressing one's luck.
I saw enough of Barnes in regular season and previous seasons with so-so results to conclude that he should keep present role and not be pushed into something which he would not be able to handle.
For me the grade for Brasier is incomplete because the sample size is too small.

Matt Barnes, Ryan Brasier candidates for Boston Red Sox 2019 closer job if Craig Kimbrel leaves as free agent | masslive.com

Last edited by savage1; 11-01-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I sure hope the Sox make Eovaldi a top priority is signing him to a contract.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Review of Sports Illustrated World Champions Special Commemorative Issue:

All I can say is that even though I enjoyed reading 96 page issue as a big Sox fan and may be a bit biased than a non Sox fan, all I can say that in my opinion it is worth every penny of the $15.99 cost and that most baseball fans would enjoy reading no matter what team they root for.
The first part contains highlights and commentary about all of the Sox Playoff and WS games.
The second part consists of some great photos and brief commentary about the "Main Men," which I found very enjoyable and entertaining to read.
The third section has photos and in depth and revealing and human interest/historical and biographical stories about the heroes for the entire season-Mookie Betts, JD Martinez, Chris Sale, Craig Kimbrel and Alex Cora.
It is not simply a rehash of stuff we already know-for example I never knew that Mookie Betts almost died during a car crash when he was twelve years.
The next section highlights memorable moments and games during the regular season-this is a section which brings back very pleasant and exciting moments and is especially geared toward Sox fans.
The last section briefly highlights the 2004, 2007 and 2013 seasons during which the Sox also won the WS-good stuff and especially so if you are a Sox diehard.
Summary-I give this publication a very high rating and found it to be very enjoyable as well as being informative reading.
Imo any baseball fan, Sox fan or not, will enjoy reading it!

Last edited by savage1; 11-06-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
As I said previously, although any of these most outstanding players/managers awards given out at the end of the season imo pale badly in comparison in the importance to how well the teams with these players fared during the season, I will be carefully watch on how the voting for AL MVP goes and how much Mookie wins by.
Imo it ought to be a landslide especially since it is based on the voting before the playoffs begin.

Last edited by savage1; 11-14-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Although I have the highest regard for Dave Dombrowski for obvious reasons, I will be pretty irked if Eovaldi doesn't play for the Sox next season and ends up elsewhere especially in Houston.
Here you have a pitcher who excelled especially in post season and who as he showed for example in that memorable long extra inning stint against the Dodgers, is very talented and versatile and could be used as a starter, middle relief or closer depending on the needs at that time.
I realize that the sample size is relatively small here, but still winning a WS is very difficult and when a team possesses a player/pitcher who helped immensely to this success, imo all efforts within reason should be made to keep this player.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:43 PM

Rewards: 173
Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
I sure hope that Kimbrel doesn't pitch tonight no matter what.

Kimbrel reportedly seeking six-year deal

Nov. 30: Based on the contracts teams have given elite closers over the past few years, Craig Kimbrel is poised to cash in this offseason. But the deal he's reportedly seeking would put him in unprecedented territory. According to ESPN's Buster Olney, Kimbrel's initial ask is for a six-year contract.

Even if he has to take a lower average annual value in exchange for a longer contract, a six-year pact would still likely make him the highest paid reliever in MLB history. Aroldis Chapman holds that distinction, having signed a five-year, $86 million contract with the Yankees after the 2016 season. Kenley Jansen isn't far behind, as he landed a five-year, $80 million deal from the Dodgers during the same offseason. Wade Davis holds the reliever record for average annual value at $17.3 million, though his deal with the Rockies is for only three years.

While it's doubtful teams would actually hand out a six-year deal to any reliever, much less one who is 30 years old, it isn't out of the question that Kimbrel will get a five-year deal.

In any case, Kimbrel's initial demands make it even more unlikely that he'll reunite with the Braves. Many consider Atlanta to be the favorite to sign him, despite general mananger Alex Anthopoulos making it clear that the club may not have the financial resources to do so.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE LOU BOYLE View Post

Kimbrel reportedly seeking six-year deal

Nov. 30: Based on the contracts teams have given elite closers over the past few years, Craig Kimbrel is poised to cash in this offseason. But the deal he's reportedly seeking would put him in unprecedented territory. According to ESPN's Buster Olney, Kimbrel's initial ask is for a six-year contract.

Even if he has to take a lower average annual value in exchange for a longer contract, a six-year pact would still likely make him the highest paid reliever in MLB history. Aroldis Chapman holds that distinction, having signed a five-year, $86 million contract with the Yankees after the 2016 season. Kenley Jansen isn't far behind, as he landed a five-year, $80 million deal from the Dodgers during the same offseason. Wade Davis holds the reliever record for average annual value at $17.3 million, though his deal with the Rockies is for only three years.

While it's doubtful teams would actually hand out a six-year deal to any reliever, much less one who is 30 years old, it isn't out of the question that Kimbrel will get a five-year deal.

In any case, Kimbrel's initial demands make it even more unlikely that he'll reunite with the Braves. Many consider Atlanta to be the favorite to sign him, despite general mananger Alex Anthopoulos making it clear that the club may not have the financial resources to do so.
Based on what I saw at the end of the regular season and in the playoffs, at the very least I have concerns as to whether Kimbrel has peaked on the upside, and that the Sox may be seeking a cheaper alternative either from within or from another team assuming that the Sox deem Kimbrel's asking price and/or years of contract too high.

Last edited by savage1; 11-30-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
MLB Rumors: Nathan Eovaldi, Red Sox Contract Talks ‘Getting Serious’ | Boston Red Sox | NESN.com
Old 12-05-2018, 11:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Although signing Eovaldi would not be cheap by any means, imo this kind of a contract for someone who did a great job for the Sox last year and was instrumental in their winning the WS, I think it makes a a heck of a lot more sense than a team signing Machado or Harper to the likes of a 300 million contract for ten years.
With Eovaldi unlike the players just cited, he proved that at least for last season that he could get it done with his new team, which is what really counts here.
Also imo Eovaldi has that certain "it"/intangible factor, unlike lots of other good players, which radiates out to his teammates and in his own way inspires the team to a level which is greater than the sum of the parts.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
With the signing of Eovaldi, for me the biggest remaining concern is who is going to be the closer most of the time.
I say that because of his success in the playoffs in this role, Eovaldi may become what will be know as a spot closer.
In spite of his shaky performances in the playoffs, losing Kimbrel would still be a loss, and someone with decent competency would be needed to replace him.
I could live with giving Kelly a shot if he is around if they don't acquire someone for that role, but I would be very hesitant to use Barnes in that capacity.
He surprised on the upside for sure with his overall pitching in the playoffs, but to be blunt I don't think the Sox should press their luck with him as he can be and has shown to be very hittable and ineffective at times in various roles.
In all fairness the same was true of Joe Kelly in regular season also, but imo he has better all around stuff than does Barnes.
Re: Pedroia, well I would consider anything positive he does at this point as a bonus, and I am certainly not counting on anything from him at this point.
Those are just quick thoughts, and I think DD has some other items to take care of such as the overall bp situation, the success in the playoffs not withstanding and will make moves to bolster it.

Last edited by savage1; 12-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I would be very happy if Eovaldi turned out to be Josh Beckett while he was in his prime.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Nice article for all Six fans thinking ahead to next season:

Red Sox keeping band together in quest to repeat, but is it the right move? | Boston.com
Old 12-11-2018, 07:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I hope that this is gossip and nothing else!

Red Sox Trade Rumors: Rick Porcello, Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley Available | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
Old 12-12-2018, 10:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I am glad that it appears that some of the possible moves described in last post are just gossip.
Out of all the three players that were purported to be available for the right price, imo Bogaerts is the one who should not even be considered for the simple reason that barring someone else of his ability to play ss, the would be taking a big step backwards.
I understand the Sox want to cut payroll and all, but really to consider trading Bogaerts, a player who is really coming into his own and could conceivably be on I his way to becoming one of the better ss's in baseball simply because he will be a FA next season for me is just plain dumb.
I am not a big proponent of free spending in the FA market, but really for John Henry at almost 70 years of age and worth over 1.5 billion dollars to be worrying about next season, what Bogaerts will cost as a FA, luxury taxes, etc. make no sense to me.
If was in his position, I would be concerned about THIS season and trying to be the first team to repeat as champions since 2000.

Last edited by savage1; 12-12-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
From a financial point of view relatively speaking to how much money most of the perennial LOSER teams (who are probably never going to win a WS no matter what they do), spend on signing FA's and/or trading for the "right pieces" to win one, these teams should perhaps place their emphasis on hiring folks who are skilled in the art of marketing, deception, bullshit, etc. to try to create the illusion that they are ready to seriously compete and win a WS.
In short, from the profit motive of putting people in the stands and deriving a steady and good revenue flow from a number of sources, they should perhaps hire someone like Phil Steele or some from who graduated from his "School of Marketing and Scamdicapping."
In short imo teams like the White Sox, Orioles, Mets, Mariners, Angels, Rangers, and a number of odds can do whatever they want to in player signings and trades but in reality are and will not be a team in contention to win a WS in the foreseeable future.
Thus and to repeat(and although I don't agree with the philosophy), if the ultimate goal is to maximize profits, then hire folks who are the most skilled in doing so, which in most cases doesn't involve spending zillions of guaranteed dollars for an extended number of years.
Along the same lines, the owner(s) of these perennial LOSER teams instead of permitting the GM/FO "buy" the WS and spending all of this money on new players because their present team sucks and has sucked for year, ought to simply get rid of these incompetent and clueless folks who created the mess in the first place and hire someone else to do the job!

Last edited by savage1; 12-13-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I just got through watching a very nice hour documentary on MLB Network about Dennis Eckersley's playing career along with bits about his personal life.
Eck and Tony LaRussa add great commentary for the duration.
I highly recommend this program for all baseball fans.

Last edited by savage1; 12-14-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Kinsler signs with Padres.
I am sorry to see him go, but business is business on both ends, and it is apparent that Ian values money more than playing for a winning organization usually in the hunt like the Sox rather than a perennial losing one which is hardly ever a contender like the Padres.

Ian Kinsler, Padres Reportedly Agree to 2-Year, $8M Contract with Club Option | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
Old 12-14-2018, 11:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Here is some more on the Joe Kelly departure from his teammates.
Inasmuch as he is from the west coast and the Dodgers signed him for 25 million for three years, I can understand his signing with the Dodgers, which is a very good team.
Hopefully for his sake he can continue to pitch as he did for the Sox especially in the post season.
However if I was the gm of the Sox for me, there simply is not enough evidence over his ENTIRE career and a good part of last season for that matter(rather than just looking at the post season) to warrant a three year contract for 25 million.
Imo although he would never accept such an offer, imo based on everything, he is worth a maximum of roughly six million a year or so to seven million tops and for no more than two years unless it was for say 15 million for three years.

Last edited by savage1; 12-14-2018 at 11:17 PM.

Tags
games, imo, losing, sox, win