Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

MLB Baseball MLB Handicapping - Post your MLB picks, talk MLB betting - all baseball.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:48 PM

Rewards: 159,510
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1094
Likes (Received): 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
What a game last night. Brutal for us on the east coast. I went to bed at 4 am and got up at 9. A few observations from last night.

GREAT game by Buehler!!!

Eovaldi was great!!!

I thought Cora lost that game last night
1. He pulled Porcello way too early
2. He should not have pinch run for JD
3. Using up his players cost him big time. Especially Eovaldi
4. This is the biggest one and the one that lost the game. He NEVER should have pitched to Puig in the 13th. Guy on 2nd, give him a free pass to 1st with Barnes coming up. No way you pitch to Puig. If Barnes hits a double or better and you lose, so be it. At least you save your pitching at that point. Horrible move there

Kinsler sucks. You eat that ball after you stumble on the turf. Leave it at 1st & 3rd with Barnes up. Horrible player, horrible decision.

Watching Nunez lay on the field a few times and knowing there was nobody else to play was fuckin stressful. Same with Xander grabbing his calf. Holy hell.

Truth be told, I think the Red Sox may have lost the WS last night. Pomeranz has sucked bad this year and Kershaw at home is next, with Buehler on deck in Boston? Trouble, trouble and more trouble IMO.

I think Cora was the better manager in 1 & 2 but he totally imploded last night treating it like a game 7. That mistake may have cost them the series.
I agree with every one of your points Wayne. And it is not second guessing decisions after the game is over. I was complaining about all of these moves as soon as Cora made them. I still can not comprehend how he pitched to Puig. There is no way in hell you pitch to him in that situation.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:51 PM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 11,334,103
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by curryfan View Post
I agree with every one of your points Wayne. And it is not second guessing decisions after the game is over. I was complaining about all of these moves as soon as Cora made them. I still can not comprehend how he pitched to Puig. There is no way in hell you pitch to him in that situation.
I was 100% convinced he would put 4 fingers up. Instead they come right at him? I seriously couldn't believe it. Barnes was on deck and he had to bat. He makes that decision and they are up 3-0 right now.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:42 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
What a comeback, what a win. That was awesome!
Old 10-28-2018, 10:51 PM

Rewards: 146
Post Thanks / Like
Word around the campfire is that the Red Sox will give a World Series share of the player's pool to Ryan Madson for helping them win the Series.

Also a first for MLB, which will award the MVP to none other than Dave Roberts who did a beautiful job of managing game 4 which propelled the Sox to become eventual W.S. Champs.

BLB

ps Dave Roberts couldn't manage a whorehouse on an Army base!...Dave Roberts couldn't manage his checkbook...Dave Roberts couldn't...
Old 10-28-2018, 11:24 PM

Rewards: 12,672
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 322
Likes (Received): 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE LOU BOYLE View Post
Word around the campfire is that the Red Sox will give a World Series share of the player's pool to Ryan Madson for helping them win the Series.

Also a first for MLB, which will award the MVP to none other than Dave Roberts who did a beautiful job of managing game 4 which propelled the Sox to become eventual W.S. Champs.

BLB

ps Dave Roberts couldn't manage a whorehouse on an Army base!...Dave Roberts couldn't manage his checkbook...Dave Roberts couldn't...

No credit to the Sox for winning???
I think all baseball fans including Dodgers fans have to accept the fact that at least for this season the Sox proved that they are the best team in baseball.
They proved it by having easily the best record in baseball ,and then blowing through the playoffs including defeating two teams which imo are BETTER than the Dodgers- the Yankees and the Astros!!

Last edited by savage1; 10-28-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:38 PM
Banned

Rewards: 5,446
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 30
I think all the American League teams would have won this year, the problem was the Red Sox weakness to me was the bullpen and Cora did a great job with the pen in my opinion and they pitched really well and Dave Roberts did just as bad the opposite way.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:50 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
What an awesome team to watch and cheer for all season.

Dombrowski is the best. He picks up the WS MVP at the trade deadline in Pearce and he also gets Eovaldi, a guy who was great for this team

Price & Sale are WS Champions!!!

I guess we can put to bed the talk about how bad Price is in the postseason now. He was AWESOME!!!!

What a fitting end. The best 1-2 punch in baseball (Betts/Martinez) did nothing in the WS until the clinching win when they both went deep.

And the bullpen everyone said was not good? They were spectacular
Old 10-29-2018, 08:05 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Old 10-29-2018, 08:17 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
David Price beats Verlander & Kershaw in the ALCS & WS clinching games.

hahaha to all the haters!!!!!

David Price: "I hold all the trump cards now. You guys had it for a long time but not anymore"

Tell 'em David!!!!

Old 10-29-2018, 08:27 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengreek View Post
Bo sox having a historic year...Question is What are you guys going to do in the playoffs when it comes to starters?

Are you really going to throw Price out there twice?????
YES they are going to throw Price out there twice and he will bitch slap the Dodgers both times, including the clincher on the road, against Kershaw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengreek View Post
As great as the team is....if i was a fan...and I will be unless my money is on another team or if they are playing the Cubs I would be very worried about starting pitching in the playoffs. Common Wayne ..Price is the laughing stock of badeball when it comes to the playoffs

lol - Who is laughing now?

You bet against Boston 12 times in the postseason and you did not bet on them once. I guess you were not cheering for them?

GO SOX!!!
Old 10-29-2018, 09:06 AM

Rewards: 2,005
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 7855
Likes (Received): 2856
Congrats to the Red Sox, Wayne and the rest of their fans
Old 10-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Hit 'em hard

Rewards: 99,064
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 3862
Likes (Received): 1533
Congrats Wayne, Savage and all other Boston fans out there!!!!!

NBA 2018/2019
Oct - 27-26-1 -360
Nov - 18-20-1 -940

NBA Preseason 2018
6-2 +480

NBA 2017/2018
147-122-1 -310

NBA Regular Season 2016/2017
129-94-6 +4515

MLB 2018
6-11 -1190

NCAAB 2017/2018
9-12-2 -720

NFL 2018
0-3-1 -660

Old 10-29-2018, 10:25 AM
risk reward

Rewards: 3,196
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1699
Likes (Received): 1285
Congrats. Possible best team ever
Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
No credit to the Sox for winning???
I think all baseball fans including Dodgers fans have to accept the fact that at least for this season the Sox proved that they are the best team in baseball.
They proved it by having easily the best record in baseball ,and then blowing through the playoffs including defeating two teams which imo are BETTER than the Dodgers- the Yankees and the Astros!!
savage:

Sarcastic humor - what's a matter with you?

First off, congrats to you, Wayne and all the Sox fans!!!! What an incredible year you guys had!

Secondly, I love the Dodgers but I've stated many times that I'm also a HUGE Sox fan and even though I'm bummed a tad bit, I'm glad the Sox won. Plain and simple, they had the better team, better depth, Cora outmanaged Roberts, the Sox bullpen was dynamite, etc.

4 World Series titles in the last 15 years - pretty damn great if you ask me!

I'll say it now. The Sox should repeat in the East next year and I'll also look for them to defend their crown against none other than the Brewers.

BLB
Old 10-29-2018, 10:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
savage:

Sarcastic humor - what's a matter with you?

First off, congrats to you, Wayne and all the Sox fans!!!! What an incredible year you guys had!

Secondly, I love the Dodgers but I've stated many times that I'm also a HUGE Sox fan and even though I'm bummed a tad bit, I'm glad the Sox won. Plain and simple, they had the better team, better depth, Cora outmanaged Roberts, the Sox bullpen was dynamite, etc.

4 World Series titles in the last 15 years - pretty damn great if you ask me!

I'll say it now. The Sox should repeat in the East next year and I'll also look for them to defend their crown against none other than the Brewers.

BLB
BNB-sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the kudos.
That said, in all fairness and honesty, imo as good as this Sox was this year, I don't see them as a dynasty team by any means.
Without knowing what additions they and other teams will make during the offseason, imo next year AL East alone will again be a dogfight between the Sox, Yankees and the TB Rays, a team which actually swept the Sox in a three game series at TB and had a great season of their own.
And don't forget the rest of the AL has some great and/or very good team also-obviously Houston and also Cleveland and Oakland and who knows who else might emerge next season.
In short just to get to the WS will be a real challenge.
Don't forget also that as they say in gambling "the trend is your friend" and no team has repeated as WS Champion since the Yankees in 2000.
Right now I am just elated at the outcome of this season and am savoring the moment.
GL with the Dodgers as I am sure they will once again be in the hunt next season!
Old 10-29-2018, 11:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
BNB-sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the kudos.
That said, in all fairness and honesty, imo as good as this Sox was this year, I don't see them as a dynasty team by any means.
Without knowing what additions they and other teams will make during the offseason, imo next year AL East alone will again be a dogfight between the Sox, Yankees and the TB Rays, a team which actually swept the Sox in a three game series at TB and had a great season of their own.
And don't forget the rest of the AL has some great and/or very good team also-obviously Houston and also Cleveland and Oakland and who knows who else might emerge next season.
In short just to get to the WS will be a real challenge.
Don't forget also that as they say in gambling "the trend is your friend" and no team has repeated as WS Champion since the Yankees in 2000.
Right now I am just elated at the outcome of this season and am savoring the moment.
GL with the Dodgers as I am sure they will once again be in the hunt next season!
You're welcome!

Wade Boggs called the 2018 team the greatest Sox team ever! Agree or disagree? I still love the 1975 team. Yes, I know they lost to the Reds in a classic 7-game series but that team was loaded to the gills!

That was great that the Sox played ‘New York, New York’ in their clubhouse last night!

Enjoy the parade on Wednesday!

FYI: I think my Dodgers may be in rebuilding mode come next season. I believe Kershaw is going to opt-out, which is fine by me, with the exception of Buehler, the Dodgers staff is in shambles. Rich Hill should probably retire. Ryu is hurt every other week. Maeda? Alex Wood? Just my .03.

BLB
Old 10-29-2018, 11:35 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
I think my favorite Sox team was 2004 but this one is a very close 2nd

When you think of the 86 year drought. The antics of Manny. The presence of Ortiz. The pitching of Pedro and Schilling. The fact that they came from down 0-3 to the Yankees and won, and still are the only team to do it. And the fact that they swept the WS. There are just too many things about 2004 that I cannot forget and that I loved.

Best Boston team I ever watched? Based on 108 wins and the 2nd most wins ever by a WS winning team, this one is it!!!
Old 10-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
You're welcome!

Wade Boggs called the 2018 team the greatest Sox team ever! Agree or disagree? I still love the 1975 team. Yes, I know they lost to the Reds in a classic 7-game series but that team was loaded to the gills!

That was great that the Sox played ‘New York, New York’ in their clubhouse last night!

Enjoy the parade on Wednesday!

FYI: I think my Dodgers may be in rebuilding mode come next season. I believe Kershaw is going to opt-out, which is fine by me, with the exception of Buehler, the Dodgers staff is in shambles. Rich Hill should probably retire. Ryu is hurt every other week. Maeda? Alex Wood? Just my .03.

BLB

It is tough to compare the '75 team to this one-different era and for one thing, no playoffs-it was simply the case of the team with best record in AL vs the same in NL for the WS.
That said, imo the best overall balanced team was probably the 2004 team with the likes of Papi, Manny Ramirez, Pedroia, Pedro, Schilling, Wakefield, Lowe, Foulke Varitek, Damon, Nomar(until he was traded), Mueller, Youk, etc.
The '75 team had some great players also with Yaz, Lynn, Rice,Evans, Fisk, Rico,etc.
The big difference is that the Sox had Tiante and then a lot of ok but not great pitchers unlike the 2004 team which as stated, had Pedro and Schilling for starters.
The same is true pretty much for the 2018 re: the pitchers with Sale, Price, etc.
The non WS winning team of 1986 was nothing to scoff at either with such notables as Clemens, Boggs, Hurst, Evans, Rice, being the names which quickly come to mind.
All that said, there will always be a place in my heart for the 1967 Team, The Impossible Dream Team, as a frustrated Sox fan since 1952, when they finally won the Pennant on the last day of the regular season, advancing to the WS before finally losing to the Cardinals in a thrilling seven game series.
That team in many ways reminded me of the 2013 Sox as they finished ninth in the AL(no divisions then) with a 72-90 record the year before.
The 2013 came from dead last in 2012 with expectations that they would finish last again in 2013 and we all know what happened.
ps From what I have seen, the Dodgers ar a very good team and should challenge once again-then again though, you know them a lot better than I do.

Last edited by savage1; 10-29-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
It is tough to compare the '75 team to this one-different era and for one thing, no playoffs-it was simply the case of the team with best record in AL vs the same in NL for the WS.
That said, imo the best overall balanced team was probably the 2004 team with the likes of Papi, Manny Ramirez, Pedroia, Pedro, Schilling, Wakefield, Lowe, Foulke Varitek, Damon, Nomar(until he was traded), Mueller, Youk, etc.
The '75 team had some great players also with Yaz, Lynn, Rice,Evans, Fisk, Rico,etc.
The big difference is that the Sox had Tiante and then a lot of ok but not great pitchers unlike the 2004 team which as stated, had Pedro and Schilling for starters.
The same is true pretty much for the 2018 re: the pitchers with Sale, Price, etc.
The non WS winning team of 1986 was nothing to scoff at either with such notables as Clemens, Boggs, Hurst, Evans, Rice, being the names which quickly come to mind.
All that said, there will always be a place in my heart for the 1967 Team, The Impossible Dream Team, as a frustrated Sox fan since 1952, when they finally won the Pennant on the last day of the regular season, advancing to the WS before finally losing to the Cardinals in a thrilling seven game series.
That team in many ways reminded me of the 2013 Sox as they finished ninth in the AL(no divisions then) with a 72-90 record the year before.
The 2013 came from dead last in 2012 with expectations that they would finish last again in 2013 and we all know what happened.
ps From what I have seen, the Dodgers ar a very good team and should challenge once again-then again though, you know them a lot better than I do.
I forgot about the '67 team...no offense savage but I was just a youngster - still poopin' my pants and throwing up baby food. However, being a follower of the game and the Sox, I do remember George Scott, Yaz (won the Triple Crown that yr), Mike Andrews, Rico, Reggie Smith (loved Reggie) and the youngster Tony Conigliaro (what could have been for this guy!)...they did not have a lot of power coming off the bench that year...Hawk Harrelson and Elston Howard were relics...Jose Tartabull was homerless in 275 AB's...I think Jerry Adair was their best player off the bench...Jim Lonborg was a stud...Stange had a great ERA and Gary Bell was decent, other than that I have no clue who else pitched that year.

Regarding my Dodgers. The whole team will still be intact. Ryu is a free agent and he did pitch pretty good down the stretch, so they may re-sign him. Dozier and Madson are probably gone. Grandal's a free agent, hits for power and even though he shit the bed during the post-season, LA still might bring him back. Seager should be back at SS - Machado is definitely gone.

Regarding your Sox. They have some key free agents they need to worry about. Eovaldi, Kelly, Kimbrel, Kinsler (he's def. gone), Nunez (player option - they should resign him), Pearce, Price (can opt out of his contract) & Sale (club option).

They will pick-up Sale's $15M option...Price would be an idiot if he opted out of his 4 year $127M remaining contract. They should keep Eovaldi and Kelly. Kimbrel, not to sure about him. IMO, Kelly could become the closer. Pearce? He'll turn 36 at the start of next season.

Just my opinion.

BLB
Old 10-29-2018, 02:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I forgot about the '67 team...no offense savage but I was just a youngster - still poopin' my pants and throwing up baby food. However, being a follower of the game and the Sox, I do remember George Scott, Yaz (won the Triple Crown that yr), Mike Andrews, Rico, Reggie Smith (loved Reggie) and the youngster Tony Conigliaro (what could have been for this guy!)...they did not have a lot of power coming off the bench that year...Hawk Harrelson and Elston Howard were relics...Jose Tartabull was homerless in 275 AB's...I think Jerry Adair was their best player off the bench...Jim Lonborg was a stud...Stange had a great ERA and Gary Bell was decent, other than that I have no clue who else pitched that year.

Regarding my Dodgers. The whole team will still be intact. Ryu is a free agent and he did pitch pretty good down the stretch, so they may re-sign him. Dozier and Madson are probably gone. Grandal's a free agent, hits for power and even though he shit the bed during the post-season, LA still might bring him back. Seager should be back at SS - Machado is definitely gone.

Regarding your Sox. They have some key free agents they need to worry about. Eovaldi, Kelly, Kimbrel, Kinsler (he's def. gone), Nunez (player option - they should resign him), Pearce, Price (can opt out of his contract) & Sale (club option).

They will pick-up Sale's $15M option...Price would be an idiot if he opted out of his 4 year $127M remaining contract. They should keep Eovaldi and Kelly. Kimbrel, not to sure about him. IMO, Kelly could become the closer. Pearce? He'll turn 36 at the start of next season.

Just my opinion.

BLB
How could I forget Tony C?
The other guys you mentioned all had their moments during that magical season.
And yes it is true re: the free agents-The Sox face the same issues and decisions that all teams do.
But hey after what DD just accomplished, I have faith in any decisions he makes in this regard.
Also, who knows for sure who the real Kimbrel is at this point?
Old 10-31-2018, 11:25 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Cue the Duckboats!!!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Red Sox re-sign Series MVP Steve Pearce on 1-year, $6.25M deal
Old 11-17-2018, 12:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
Red Sox re-sign Series MVP Steve Pearce on 1-year, $6.25M deal
Great move.
For me he brings a lot more to the table than just clutch hitting and overall skills.
This is the kind of stuff I call intangibles, which imo makes the players and team just one good cohesive unit with lots of team spirit.