Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

MLB Baseball MLB Handicapping - Post your MLB picks, talk MLB betting - all baseball.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:01 PM

Rewards: 42,971
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 13673
Likes (Received): 25089
I doubt it happens

Cashman said they remain open to options that present themselves, but reading between the lines, it sure doesn’t sound like Keuchel is even a thought. No reason taking on a large contract because of a short term injury. Sevy is a bit of a shock but they already knew CC wasn't going to be ready the first couple weeks with heart, knee and suspension.

As of now they are content with Domingo German and Jonathan Loaisiga starting the season in the rotation

Also Boone said he can see scenarios where they use an opener starting one of their big bullpen arms and working backward
Old 03-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 16,703,194
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5459
Likes (Received): 9726
Man that sounds crappy for a team named the Yankees and for a payroll like that. I always thought if they were not going to sign a big bat that they would sign a Corbin or a Keuchel. I think they should, especially with the age of Sabathia. He may have issues all year. You never know.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:06 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
And this late in I think you could get a Keuchel on something like a 2 year 30 million deal.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry to 3 peat but it would be perfect because you would also slide him right in to Sabathia's spot in the rotation next season. Paxton has been injured a lot too so it could get scary if things snowball
Old 03-06-2019, 06:32 PM

Rewards: 42,971
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 13673
Likes (Received): 25089
If Severino was missing half the year, then I'd understand the point and start smashing the panic button. But as of now hes only two weeks behind. I dont think a 2 week setback warrants spending 15-20M AAV (guesstimate) on Keuchel

As of now everything with Sevy is a guess, fingers crossed he will be fine ... But 2 weeks into spring training, and your top arm has shoulder inflammation ... It's not good. And I agree with you that CC has a decent chance with problems all season.

IMO Hal’s not going to spend the money and he and Cashman think this team’s good enough to win as is even with potential injuries ... Which in my opinion, there will be a handful of this season ...
Old 03-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
2019-20 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings

1. Xander Bogaerts. I didn’t begin this exercise expecting Bogaerts to top the list, but if he manages another five win season as Boston’s shortstop, his youth could result in the winter’s longest contract. Bogaerts, a client of the Boras Corporation, won’t turn 27 until October. He’s gone year-to-year throughout his career after signing out of Aruba for $410K in 2009. Bogaerts has now banked over $25MM in his career. He’s coming off his finest season yet, posting a 133 wRC+ that was second only to Manny Machado among qualified shortstops. Bogaerts’ defense has long rated as a plus. While I don’t expect Bogaerts to approach the $300MM contract Machado received, I do think he’ll join the $200MM club with a strong 2019 season.

2. Chris Sale. Bogaerts’ teammate Chris Sale has placed top six in the AL Cy Young voting for the last seven years. The lefty joined the Red Sox in a December 2016 blockbuster trade with the White Sox. Sale’s dominance has continued in Boston, though he was limited to 158 regular season innings in 2018 due to two DL stints for shoulder inflammation. Sale’s earning power in free agency will depend on his health this season. Six years ago, Sale signed a contract extension with the White Sox that has provided tremendous surplus value to both of his clubs. While it had been standard practice for top free agent starters to be paid through age 36 – see Jon Lester, Max Scherzer, David Price, and Yu Darvish (and Zack Greinke, who was paid through 37), the old way of doing things in free agency may no longer apply. So Sale, 30 this month, will likely seek a six-year contract, though he could have trouble getting there unless one team gets irrational or he accepts a reduced average annual value to max out the guarantee. In the best case, Sale could inch his way past Greinke’s six-year, $206.5MM deal, since Sale will be more than 17 months younger than Greinke was when he reached his historic pact.

3. Gerrit Cole. Cole, another Boras client, was drafted by the Yankees out of high school in the first round in 2008. Cole’s signability changed after the draft, and his family requested that the Yankees not even make an offer. After three years at UCLA, Cole was drafted first overall by the Pirates. He was generally solid for the Pirates, including one great season in 2015, before they traded him to the Astros in January 2018. Cole posted the best season of his career in his first season as an Astro. Including his record draft bonus, Cole has earned over $33MM in his MLB career on the year-to-year plan. With another comparable campaign, he’ll be fishing for the seven-year deal signed by Price, Scherzer, and Stephen Strasburg. This would only take Cole through his age 35 season – a reasonable length even in this day and age. Price’s seven-year, $217MM deal will be four years old when Cole reaches free agency. My guess is that Cole will fall short of that level but will still sign one of the five largest pitching contracts in baseball history.

4. Anthony Rendon. The Nationals let Harper defect to the Phillies on a record $330MM contract, but that might pave the way for a deal with yet another Boras client, Rendon. Rendon has quietly amassed 13 WAR over the last two seasons, sixth in all of baseball for position players. The Nationals’ third baseman combines stellar defense with a 140 wRC+ bat, and the result is that he’s every bit as valuable as Harper or Machado right now. Rendon turns 29 in June, and he’s amassed about $47MM already in his MLB career. It’s been rare lately that any top position player gets paid past age 35, as Machado and Eric Hosmer did, and many such as Nolan Arenado, Jose Altuve, J.D. Martinez, Justin Upton, and Yoenis Cespedes were only paid through 34. We’ll put Harper aside, as only drastically reducing his average annual value allowed for him to be paid through age 38. This is my way of saying I think Rendon is looking at a six-year deal in the best case. Back in January, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic wrote that Rendon was seeking a contract comparable to Altuve, in his extension talks with the Nationals. That deal was essentially $151MM over five years, though things have gotten worse for free agents in the year since then. Also since then was Arenado’s seven-year, $234MM extension with the Rockies, notable mainly for its $33.4MM AAV. Rendon would certainly be within his rights to seek $30-33MM per year in his ongoing extension talks with the Nationals, which may continue into the season.

5. Paul Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt starred for the Diamondbacks for eight years until last December’s trade to St. Louis. Goldy inked what became a club-friendly six-year contract back in 2013. So on the one hand, the slugging first baseman has banked $45MM in his MLB career. On the other hand, he’ll turn 32 in advance of his next contract. These days, that probably caps him at a four-year deal unless he takes a light AAV. The Cardinals clearly would like to make Goldschmidt, a client of Excel Sports Management, more than a rental.

6. Zack Wheeler. Wheeler, 29 in May, posted the best season of his career in 2018. The righty was drafted sixth overall out of high school by the Giants in 2009 and was traded to the Mets for Carlos Beltran in 2011. He made his MLB debut in 2013 and did solid work before going down for March 2015 Tommy John surgery. Wheeler ended up going two and a half years between MLB starts, nearly getting traded to Milwaukee in the interim. That Wheeler failed to return to the Mets in 2016 served as a reminder that Tommy John recovery is not always seamless. Wheeler’s 2017 season was abbreviated due to a stress fracture in his arm, and he actually began the 2018 season in the minors. Wheeler, one of the hardest-throwing starting pitchers in the game, just kept getting better in the 2018 season. He finished with a 2.06 ERA in his final 15 starts. An encore performance could make Wheeler a sleeper Cy Young candidate, but it’s all about stringing together a second consecutive healthy season for the first time in his career. His ceiling would likely be a five-year deal taking him through age 34, the age through which Miles Mikolas, Jordan Zimmermann, Jake Arrieta, and Patrick Corbin were signed. Both Wheeler and Chris Sale are represented by Jet Sports Management.

7. J.D. Martinez. Martinez, 32 in August, has been the second-best hitter in baseball over the last two seasons by measure of wRC+. Though he’s able to play the outfield, he’s best-served as a designated hitter. Martinez signed a five-year, $110MM deal with the Red Sox in late February last year, but the Boras client has the chance to opt out of the 2019 or 2020 seasons. Given the way Martinez has been hitting, it stands to reason that even in this free agent climate, he will stand a good chance at topping the three years and $62.5MM he’ll have remaining on his contract after 2019. Since he’d probably only be looking at a four-year deal this time around, it’s possible the Red Sox could simply tack on one more year to his current deal.

8. Didi Gregorius. Gregorius, 29, was signed by the Reds out of Curacao for $50K back in 2007. A pair of three-team trades eventually led him to the Yankees’ shortstop job in 2015, with the near-impossible task of succeeding Derek Jeter. Gregorius’ bat steadily improved over his four seasons with the Yankees. Combined with strong defense, he’s totaled 8.7 WAR over the past two seasons – on par with Machado and Bogaerts. However, Gregorius went down for Tommy John surgery in October. He could return anywhere from June to August, complicating his free agency picture. Both Gregorius and the Yankees seem open to an extension, and the club did just prevent Aaron Hicks from exploring free agency by giving him a seven-year, $70MM deal. Like Goldschmidt, Gregorius is represented by Excel Sports Management.

9. Justin Verlander. Verlander, 36, finished second in the AL Cy Young voting last year, in a dominant season that was every bit as good as his Cy/MVP 2011 campaign for the Tigers. He’s a likely Hall of Famer and is one of the game’s best starting pitchers currently. When it comes to the topic of Verlander’s free agency, it’s difficult to ignore his age. I have to think it caps him at a three-year deal, albeit with a premium AAV in the $30MM range. The Astros have difficult decisions on the horizon regarding their pair of aces. Verlander is represented by ISE Baseball.

10. Madison Bumgarner. Like Verlander, Bumgarner was an ace for an extended period of time. But with the Giants’ lefty, it remains to be seen what his second act will look like. An April 2017 dirt bike accident caused injuries to Bumgarner’s ribs and shoulder, limiting him to 17 starts that year. Then in March of last year, the pitcher’s left hand was fractured during a Spring Training game, delaying his season debut until June. Upon his return, he wasn’t quite the Bumgarner of old, with his strikeout and walk rates going in the wrong direction. Still, Bumgarner doesn’t turn 30 until August, and by then we should know whether his 2018 season was a blip on the radar or the start of a trend. His contract, which will be negotiated by The Legacy Agency, will depend on that question.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:04 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
^^^ Red Sox have top 2 and 3 of top 7. Hopefully they can get extensions done!
Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Honorable mentions: Marcell Ozuna, Yasiel Puig, Rick Porcello, Nick Castellanos, Josh Donaldson, Yasmani Grandal, Khris Davis, Scooter Gennett

Note: I’m currently operating under the assumption that club options for Corey Kluber, Anthony Rizzo, Jose Quintana, Chris Archer, Starling Marte, and Matt Carpenter will be exercised after the season, and that Stephen Strasburg and Yu Darvish will not opt out of their contracts.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:01 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
This is the Red Sox bullpen folks. Get ready for some late inning IMPLOSIONS!!!

Fuckin BRUTAL!!!!!!

"With almost exactly two weeks until Opening Day, Barnes has pitched twice in Grapefruit League action while Brasier threw his first live batting practice Wednesday thanks to an infected toe. Thornburg has been unimpressive mid-90's velocity and Wright wasn't going to be ready for the opener even if his 80-game suspension didn't come along.

Workman's velocity and effectiveness have taken a turn for the worse over the last week or so, and thanks to the birth of his daughter Hembree hasn't pitched in game action yet."
Old 03-13-2019, 03:42 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
This is the Red Sox bullpen folks. Get ready for some late inning IMPLOSIONS!!!

Fuckin BRUTAL!!!!!!

"With almost exactly two weeks until Opening Day, Barnes has pitched twice in Grapefruit League action while Brasier threw his first live batting practice Wednesday thanks to an infected toe. Thornburg has been unimpressive mid-90's velocity and Wright wasn't going to be ready for the opener even if his 80-game suspension didn't come along.

Workman's velocity and effectiveness have taken a turn for the worse over the last week or so, and thanks to the birth of his daughter Hembree hasn't pitched in game action yet."
^^^ The only team in MLB that has no fuckin clue who the closer is.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Look at the resume each guy has. Scary is an understatement. Talk about a shit show!!!

ROB BRADFORD

The Red Sox have their Opening Day bullpen.

Matt Barnes. Ryan Brasier. Heath Hembree. Brandon Workman. Brian Johnson, Colten Brewer. Hector Velazquez. Tyler Thornburg.

Thornburg is the highest-paid member of the group at $1.7 million despite not proving to be an effective big leaguer since 2016. Two guys in the mix to close games -- Barnes and Brasier -- have a combined two career saves to their credit. Hembree has never been relied on as a consistent late-inning guy. Workman has never seen a full season in the majors. Johnson and Velazquez are more perceived as long men/spot starters than high-leverage options. And Brewer's major league debut last season with San Diego resulted in 11 appearances in which he gave up 10 runs on 15 hits and seven walks.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:20 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Red Sox have the highest payroll again at $224,625,102

Money spent on bullpen (8 guys) - $8.2 Million

So you have a 25 man roster and 1/3 gets 8 million while the other 2/3 gets 216?

I would love to get Kimbrel & Kelly for the 18-20 million they will be paid this year. Talk about a GM fuckin the dog. Here we go with Dombrowski and his bullpen antics again. Holy fuck it annoys me. Especially when every starter only goes 5-6 innings as they did last year. You are going to roll with those guys in the closing 3 innings each night? Mother fucker!!!

Congrats Yankees, in these tight game late, you will kick us in the balls.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:59 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
I have never made one before but MLB bettors should seriously consider nothing more than a 1st 5 inning wager on this team. It will be high risk after that.

I am not sure what 1st 5 wagers are compared to the game wagers for odds but it may be the route i take when betting on them.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Boston Red Sox should sign free agent pitcher Dallas Keuchel

The above article reminds me of the movie Dumb and Dumber

The person who wrote it is fuckin dumb and those who buy in to it are dumber.

You don't want to pay a proven closer in Kimbrel 15 million but you are going to pay a starter (Eovaldi) 17 million to move to the bullpen and do it? It keeps getting more fuckin retarded by the day

You already have 3 lefties starting and i want to keep Eovaldi in the rotation. When facing teams like the NYY & Houston, i do not want 4 lefties when their most dangerous hitters (Judge,Stanton,Correa,Altuve,Springer,Sanchez) all hit from the right side. NO THANKS!!!

It would also prove how much of a fuck up Dombrowski is if he did this when many closers were on the market this offseason.

The fuckin train wreck continues .......
Old 03-26-2019, 11:32 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
You offer some people kool aid and they will drink it every time.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:39 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
A guy named mhp asked me about this guy once ......

Sam Travis has made Red Sox Opening Day roster | WEEI
Old 03-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
You offer some people kool aid and they will drink it every time.
Some people don't think, they just put on their pink hat and drink!
Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 PM

Rewards: 16,047
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 992
Boston 2nd place this year....NYY beat them out ....
Old 03-26-2019, 05:29 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKSBYPETE View Post
I totally agree Pete
Old 03-26-2019, 05:53 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKSBYPETE View Post
You wouldn't believe how many pink hats don't care Pete. They are still living in 2018 and they don't give 2 fucks about what happens this season. They are not hard to see here. I could care less about the past and all i am looking at is this current team and how it is constructed and the answer is not good. There was failure at the top this offseason and the honest fans see and admit it. The pink hats and homers just wear blinders.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:10 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Red Sox rotation surprise: David Price (illness) will open season as 5th starter, with Sale-Eovaldi-Rodriguez going 1-2-3
Old 03-26-2019, 08:42 PM

Rewards: 191,865
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 3222
Likes (Received): 1924
We got Betts. That’s all that matters.

Signed,

Savage
Old 03-27-2019, 12:11 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsooner21 View Post
We got Betts. That’s all that matters.

Signed,

Savage
Pink hats will point to last year, 2013, 2007 or 2004 as reasons why they believe. Like last year, or 6 years ago has jack shit to do with today. It doesn't, but pink hats will do anything to convince themselves that it does. Pink hats have zero ability when it comes to being critical of their team, and saying they won't win the division isn't being critical of shit.

They have the "I Believe if it's broke they will fix it" mentality 24/7

It's fuckin sickening to be honest. And this is coming from a so called "Homer".
Old 03-27-2019, 12:22 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
pink hat
An overzealous, bandwagoner typically female fan of a recently successful local pro sports franchise. Characterized by the brand spanking new officially licensed pink team hat. Typically spends majority of game chatting on cell phone, waving to tv camera, asking idiotic questions & being a stupid annoying nuisance in general. Most commonly found at Fenway Park & Foxboro Stadium.

Hey kb, Typically female but not always. Sound like someone we know?
Old 03-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Cry me a fuckin river when it comes to the luxury tax

I don't want to hear it and i don't give a fuck (like most fans)

According to Forbes, John Henry is worth $2.7 Billion.

He makes an estimated $80 million per year from just NESN alone

The Red Sox were worth an estimated $3 Billion after the 2018 season

They have the 3rd highest priced average ticket in baseball at over $100 a pop

Beers are $9 Hot dogs are $6 and parking around the park is $40+

Forgive me for not giving a fuck about having to pay an extra 10/20/30 million in a luxury tax. It is like $5 to you and me and they will make it up 10 fold in the 2019 season

What a fuckin joke. And that is why some people will defend ANYTHING they do or say. Keep drinking that Kool aid pink hats!