Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

MLB Baseball MLB Handicapping - Post your MLB picks, talk MLB betting - all baseball.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 08-12-2018, 08:50 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
Good enough to kick Scherzer and Kluber's ass in career era, whip & K/9
Not in the month of September and October.... You know when it matters the most
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 08-12-2018, 09:27 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 26,940
Rewards: 11,334,103
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengreek View Post
Not in the month of September and October.... You know when it matters the most
Whatever floats your boat. I'll stick with career numbers and you can hug 1+ month if it makes you feel better
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:00 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
Whatever floats your boat. I'll stick with career numbers and you can hug 1+ month if it makes you feel better
Ill hug the last 6 years of Scherzer's career. Only Maddux and Randy Johnson have done what he has done in a 6 year period in terms of ERA, Winning percentage and strikeouts
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:05 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Cy Young's

3 to 0
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:16 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 26,940
Rewards: 11,334,103
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengreek View Post
Cy Young's

3 to 0
Yeah, not too many Cy Young winners play for shithole teams like the CWS. Most of the time they play on a winning/postseason team. Look it up.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:20 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 26,940
Rewards: 11,334,103
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7961
Funny though. Sale pitches for a winning team like Boston and look what happens. Year 1 - 2nd in Cy Young voting. What will year 2 bring? Playing on a winning team matters. Especially in the voters eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:21 PM
savage1 savage1 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 4,536
Rewards: 12,673
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 322
Likes (Received): 1291
Pardon me if I am intruding in this interesting two
way conversation, but I have several quick points to make:
I am actually most concerned about the Sox team as a whole peaking too soon and just going into a general tailspin either during the playoffs themselves or late in the regular season and carrying over into the playoffs.
This kind of stuff has happened quite a few times historically in all sports.
Also along the same line of thinking any team can peak on playoffs and go
on and win the WS,
Finally I understand the concerns being raised about Sale based
on past performance.
For that matter though concerns can be raised about any pitchers going into the playoffs.
For me as a Sox fan and as I have stated before, my biggest concern, fear or whatever you want to call it is matching up against the Yankees when they have Judge and everyone is healthy.
Imo anyone who has been a Sox diehard like me for many years can relate to my concerns.

Last edited by savage1; 08-12-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:25 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 26,940
Rewards: 11,334,103
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
Imo anyone who has been a Sox diehard like me for many years can relate to my concerns.
I used to feel that way until 2004. That epic comeback changed everything. Now if they lose, they lose. No more stupid shit about a curse or anything else. lol
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:27 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
Yeah, not too many Cy Young winners play for shithole teams like the CWS. Most of the time they play on a winning/postseason team. Look it up.
BULLSHIT !!

If you have the numbers you get the Cy Young ..shit team or not. This isnt like the NBA MVP

Been plenty. Maddux 1st Cy young with the Cubs. Peavy with SD , Pedro Martinez with Montreal , Greinke with KC., King Felix with Seattle....that just off the top of my head...and there is a shit ton more

If you allow 1-2 runs a start. Your going to win your games. Shitty team or not.

Plenty of great pitchers dont get run support ( Sale last year and the first 2.5 months this year)

Cy Young has NOTHING to do with if you pitch for a bad team

So , yeah 3-0

Last edited by goldengreek; 08-12-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:30 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 26,940
Rewards: 11,334,103
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengreek View Post
BULLSHIT !!

If you have the numbers you get the Cy Young ..shit team or not. This isnt like the NBA MVP

Been plenty. Maddux 1st Cy young with the Cubs. Peavy with SD , Pedro Martinez with Montreal , Greinke with KC...that just off the top of my head.

If you allow 1-2 runs a start. Your going to win your games. Shitty team or not.

Plenty of great pitchers dont get run support ( Sale last year and the first 2.5 months this year)

Cy Young has NOTHING to do with if you pitch for a bad team

So , yeah 3-0
Really. Go look it up and tell me how many cy young winners from each league pitched on a losing team in the last 15 years. After you are done you can take your bullshit back and apologize!
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:36 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
Pardon me if I am intruding in this interesting two
way conversation, but I have several quick points to make:
I am actually most concerned about the Sox team as a whole peaking too soon and just going into a general tailspin either during the playoffs themselves or late in the regular season and carrying over into the playoffs.
This kind of stuff has happened quite a few times historically in all sports.
Also along the same line of thinking any team can peak on playoffs and go
on and win the WS,
Finally I understand the concerns being raised about Sale based
on past performance.
For that matter though concerns can be raised about any pitchers going into the playoffs.
For me as a Sox fan and as I have stated before, my biggest concern, fear or whatever you want to call it is matching up against the Yankees when they have Judge and everyone is healthy.
Imo anyone who has been a Sox diehard like me for many years can relate to my concerns.

As a Red Sox fan...yes I am...Im more worried about the Tribe and Houston.

Kluber, Bauer, Carrasco-...deadly ...plus Clevlinger

Verlander, Cole, Keuchel, McCullers, Morton

Those teams worry me alot more.

And having to count on one of the worst playoff pitchers of all time to pitch 2 times in one series...that scares me

Fuck the Yankees

Last edited by goldengreek; 08-12-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:37 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
Really. Go look it up and tell me how many cy young winners from each league pitched on a losing team in the last 15 years. After you are done you can take your bullshit back and apologize!
I just named you four...wait last 15 years ?? Why last 15 years ???

lol
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:41 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
King Felix was 13-12 when he won the Cy Young in 2010

People recognize elite pitchers on bad teams
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:45 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 26,940
Rewards: 11,334,103
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengreek View Post
I just named you four...wait last 15 years ?? Why last 15 years ???

lol
Great job, you named 1 guy 8 years ago and 3 others what, 20-25 years ago. Thanks for making my point.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:47 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
2009 ...Lincecum

SF finished 3rd in their division


2012. RA DICKY...Mets finished 74-88

keep going ???
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:47 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 26,940
Rewards: 11,334,103
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7961
So if Sale wins the Cy Young this year that makes him the best pitcher in baseball or at worst top 2 right?
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:48 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
Great job, you named 1 guy 8 years ago and 3 others what, 20-25 years ago. Thanks for making my point.
Hahaha

I made my point and demolished yours into smitherines

You do know there are only 2 Cy Young winners every year tight ??

Ive named 6 now


Last 15 years ????
Why ?????

GTFO with that
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Dominant deserving pitchers will win the Cy young...dosent matter how shityy your team is

This isnt the MVP award. ...its the Cy Young
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:51 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 26,940
Rewards: 11,334,103
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengreek View Post
Hahaha

I made my point and demolished yours into smitherines

You do know there are only 2 Cy Young winners every year tight ??

Ive named 6 now


Last 15 years ????
Why ?????

GTFO with that
Yes, 6 years ago in the NL and 8 years ago in the AL. Great job!
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
So if Sale wins the Cy Young this year that makes him the best pitcher in baseball or at worst top 2 right?
Which debate are we going with now ???

You said you have to be on a winning team / playoff team to win the Cy Young...isnt that what we were discussing ??

Let me flip your current question. If for arguments sake Severino wins the Cy Young , Kluber finishes 2nd...hypothetically (!!!)

Does that mean Sale isnt one of the top 2 pitchers in the AL ?

Of course not
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:55 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
Yes, 6 years ago in the NL and 8 years ago in the AL. Great job!
Plus the other 4 i mentioned.

There may be more.

Ill research it later for you
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
Yeah, not too many Cy Young winners play for shithole teams like the CWS. Most of the time they play on a winning/postseason team. Look it up.
.....
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
Funny though. Sale pitches for a winning team like Boston and look what happens. Year 1 - 2nd in Cy Young voting. What will year 2 bring? Playing on a winning team matters. Especially in the voters eyes.
.....
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:58 PM
goldengreek goldengreek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 94,460
Rewards: 83,892
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1579
Likes (Received): 3807
Why 15 years ?

Whats so different and special about the last 15 years ?

Why are we filtering in those random years
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:58 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 26,940
Rewards: 11,334,103
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5121
Likes (Received): 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengreek View Post
Dominant deserving pitchers will win the Cy young...dosent matter how shityy your team is

This isnt the MVP award. ...its the Cy Young
You are so full of shit. You seriously must have brown eyes. You talk in the top 5 starter thread about best 5 NOW. It is now because you even said yours would have been different at the start of the season. You then go on to talk about current dominance and other bullshit. You then put the most dominant pitcher in baseball right now as 5th best. Once his dominance is pointed out you start with all the bullshit of career, do it for a career. You get worked on those numbers and then point to Cy Youngs?

You GTFOOH and go back to where ever you were hiding for the last 8 months because all you are doing is throwing BS against a wall.

You are a Red Sox fan? Fuck you are. You have been anti Boston since day 1 of me knowing you and I knew you were full of shit since the day you tried convincing me Dan Marino was better than Brady. LMAO

The ridiculousness never ends!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00% Host: cappersmallweb5