Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

MLB Baseball MLB Handicapping - Post your MLB picks, talk MLB betting - all baseball.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 AM

Rewards: 313,880
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 10935
Likes (Received): 10272
Three batter minimum ,,,,, really MLB ?

I need to read more about this to logically make reason of it
Is the only reason just to speed up game ?
Poster of the Month Award Winner
2009 Co Champ World Series Contest
January 2012 Play of the Day winner
Bracket Buster Survivor 2nd Place
2012 Cappersmall Hall of Fame inductee
2014 PGA Golf Season 1st place
2014 PGA Golf Season Money List 3rd place
2014 LMS Point Spread contest runner up
2016 Golf Team contest 1st place
Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 AM
WHINY CUNT

Rewards: 14,670
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5983
Likes (Received): 3782
The three-batter minimum will be the most profound on-field change, a maneuver that will be Manfred’s to own. It will have ripples from the clubhouse, to the manager’s chair and even to front offices in how they construct their rosters.

Players aren’t expected to oppose the change if Manfred decides to implement it. There’s far from uniform approval of the rule, but also an understanding that a less deliberate game may be a more appealing one.

“We want to improve the game and we want to make it more appealing to the younger crowd,” Reds lefty reliever Zach Duke told USA TODAY Sports this month. “The attention span of the younger crowd is a lot different than it was even 10 years ago. I understand some of the proposals and the intention behind it.

“The three-batter minimum impacts so much more of what a manager can do, the strategy he’s able to employ. I don’t know if that’s necessarily the answer. But if there’s a rule proposal that makes sense, I don’t think there would be a lot of resistance to it. Let’s be honest: It’s really all about keeping the fans engaged and keeping them coming to the games. We want to put the best product out there to keep the fans there.

“It’s an entertainment industry, right? If no one’s being entertained by it, then guess what – we don’t have jobs.”

Perhaps the most glorious aspect of the changes is that MLB and the union are willing to talk about the bigger issues facing the game, and possibly make amendments to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, averting a potential work stoppage after the 2021 season. It will be the first time the two sides have ever had mid-term bargaining on such broad economic issues.
MLB rule changes: Drastic measures will shake up look of sport
Old 03-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Hit 'em hard

Rewards: 539,792
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 4685
Likes (Received): 1796
I heard about this on radio... Is it something they are putting into regular season, this season??

It's a terrible idea.

I can see it now..... A lot of 'my arm is sore' after 1 batter

MLB 2019
10-4 +578

MLB 2019 Capping Contest Winner

NBA 2018/2019
88-75-1 +470

NBA 2017/2018
147-122-1 -310

NBA 2016/2017
129-94-6 +4515

Old 03-14-2019, 11:27 AM
WHINY CUNT

Post Thanks / Like
new potential rule for 2020
Old 03-15-2019, 06:44 AM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 16,703,194
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5459
Likes (Received): 9726
I like it. I want the pitch clock too. I love baseball but it is the only game without a clock and these mother effers can drag shit out forever. It is painful at times when it takes 10 mins to throw 3 pitches
Old 03-15-2019, 08:07 AM

Rewards: 15,681
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 585
Likes (Received): 1421
For me the three batter rule is a terrible one.
One of the beauties of the game is that in certain spots in the game it becomes a Chess Match between the two opposing managers and seeing whose strategy prevails.
What is going to be next-something akin to eliminating the intentional walk and allowing the umpire to toss a pitcher if in his judgment the pitcher is not trying to get the batter out!
Or how about for example requiring that the batter be told by the catcher what kind of pitch the pitcher will be throwing before it is released. lol
ps Of course I am being sarcastic here, but imo stuff like the three batter rule has no business being implemented as it messes with the strategy of the game itself, the latter which makes it the great game it is.

Last edited by savage1; 03-15-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:33 AM
WHINY CUNT

Post Thanks / Like
got nothing to do with "strategy of the game", if you would read some of the articles about these changes, you would see it is about garnering interest from another demographic,,, ergo,,, $$
Old 03-15-2019, 12:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
For me it has PLENTY to do not only with the strategy of the game but bastardizing the rules of the great game it already is to accommodate those who don't like it.
Let them either adjust to the way it is now or go find something else/some other sport to enjoy.
Even if this implement this change, then what-do something else if people find the speed of the game too slow???
ps I have read the articles, and I simply disagree with fixing something which ain't broke and has done very well thank you since the 19th century.
In short, each to his own on this one!

Last edited by savage1; 03-15-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:10 PM
WHINY CUNT

Post Thanks / Like
jesus man,,, it not about you ffs! its about money!! its a slow game that does not keep the attention span of millenials and gen x,y, & z. whether live or televised they are looking to revenue streams from more than oldtimers like us.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by T100 View Post
jesus man,,, it not about you ffs! its about money!! its a slow game that does not keep the attention span of millenials and gen x,y, & z. whether live or televised they are looking to revenue streams from more than oldtimers like us.
Too bad-I would rather see no baseball at all then to screw around with what a manager is allowed to do in a game.
A while back there was some talk about calling a batter out if fouled off more than four pitches while batting.
For me that would be a terrible move become some of the great moments in baseball have occurred when a pitcher and a batter are in a dogfight so to speak in an time at bat.
Re: the strategy of watching the managers bringing in pitchers to try to get a particular hitter out whether it works or not and what the other manager does in the way of countering moves made by the first manager.
To implement the three batter rule for me would be selling out the game's soul to the devil so to speak, and I sure hope it doesn't happen.
To be clear, I have no problem with limiting trips to the mound and the other stuff mentioned to speed the game up, but changing the way in which the game is played with the various strategies involved, for me it is a HUGE no!
Imo for stuff like this it is up to the folks who don't like it the adapt rather than the other way around.

Last edited by savage1; 03-15-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:00 PM
WHINY CUNT

Post Thanks / Like
this is forward thinking by greater minds, knowing that you and I wont be around in the near future, they are trying to generate interest in mlb futures.

it has been implemented in nhl,nfl and nba to keep interest, as well as keep sponsorship commercials in play,especially with televised games. we never had stoppage for commercials in the old days. just sayin
Old 03-15-2019, 02:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by T100 View Post
this is forward thinking by greater minds, knowing that you and I wont be around in the near future, they are trying to generate interest in mlb futures.

it has been implemented in nhl,nfl and nba to keep interest, as well as keep sponsorship commercials in play,especially with televised games. we never had stoppage for commercials in the old days. just sayin
I don't care what their forward thinking is.
When I am dead, they can do what they want.
I don't tell the folks who design those mindless and imo moronic/useless video games designed for the now generation which some folks are addicted to what to do because they became in vogue long after I was born.
I say the same should go for baseball, ie let the younger folks adapt to the game to the way it was designed or find some other means of entertainment.
If they stay away and attendance and the streaming revenues go down, then that is fine with me for the simple reason that the obscene likes of the guaranteed contracts we see now, some of which are now over 300 million dollars for many years. will will no longer exist as the owners will not have either the inclination nor the money to pay them and perhaps for a change players will have to work to earn what they get!
Old 03-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Rewards: 313,880
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 10935
Likes (Received): 10272
as yall have mentioned, lots of new strategy .. lineups might go back and forth righty , lefty, righty, lefty, if they can so no pitcher will ever have total advantage .
Agree that it wasnt the change in pitchers years ago like it is today, so I guess it basically happened for a long time but just wasnt enforced
Poster of the Month Award Winner
2009 Co Champ World Series Contest
January 2012 Play of the Day winner
Bracket Buster Survivor 2nd Place
2012 Cappersmall Hall of Fame inductee
2014 PGA Golf Season 1st place
2014 PGA Golf Season Money List 3rd place
2014 LMS Point Spread contest runner up
2016 Golf Team contest 1st place
Old 03-16-2019, 09:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
For me the entire matter is absurd because in reality 1) this situation doesn't arise all that happen during the course of a game and thus isn't going to save that much time and 2) when it does occur, imo implementing it changes the entire fabric game of the game for the worse.
For the most part over the years, situations like this occur late in games when the score is close, the outcome of the game is at stake and the manager wants to put the odds in his favor by utilizing whatever pitcher he feels to get the batter out.
You tell me if this example makes sense.
It is the bottom of the eighth inning with the Sox leading the Yankees 3-2 and the Yankees have men on first and second with one out and the Sox bring in Hembree to try to get out say Stanton because lets assume the stats warrant it, and Cora feels that he can get him out.
Stanton promptly doubles tying the score and with men now on second and third.
Cora didn't like what he saw and wants to get him out of there immediately with someone else to face the next batter.
So this new rule would in effect prevent that and force Hembree to stay in game simply because be removing him it might a couple of minutes onto the game. lol
For me that is akin to mandating in a close football game late in the game that the quarterback of the team which has the ball and in the lead can't take a knee and has to hand it off and/or at least move the ball forward.
Again I have no problem with such items as a time clock for pitchers to pitch, limit on trips to the mound cutting down on commercial time between innings, etc.
But trying to shave off a few minutes here and there by the proposed nonsense such as the three pitcher rule for me amounts to compromising the integrity of the game for no real reason and even more so because the time saved by so doing would be minimal.

Last edited by savage1; 03-16-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Rewards: 3,648
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1085
Likes (Received): 743
^^ umm yea savage nailed it.

T100 trying to say it is all about money (which i am sure it is), but it is at a point where these rule changes are ruining the game. And it has nothing to do with young and old, and trying to pander to "generation xyz" because they have short attention spans or whatever and you want them to watch.

I am only 32 and have watched baseball my entire life, and the game has been around before the turn of the century. And this rule change if it goes through may be the final nail in the coffin for me where I may never watch baseball again in my life.

They are ruining the game. And like savage says, I am ok with time limits for pitchers to throw a pitch, or stepping off the mound, and limiting coaching visits.

Hell I even hated taking away the intentional walk, and now they can just put the runner on base. I liked the pitcher having to actually throw the pitches because stuff can still happen like wild pitches, stolen bases, hell the hitter could even sometimes still hit the ball when being "intentionally walked". But... even though I disagreed with it, wasn't the biggest deal in the world.

Saying a pitcher has to come in and face at least 3 batters though? Fuck no, now you are starting to really ruin how the strategy part of the game is meant to be played. And if the rule goes through they will probably lose a viewer with me. And I am not old! lol
Old 03-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Recovering Town Drunk

Rewards: 9,582
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1244
Likes (Received): 5754
And some think the DH ruined the game.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:02 PM
the straightshooter

Rewards: 98,685
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5333
Likes (Received): 6575
that is a pretty dramatic change

but ill save judgement until we get to experience it
Old 03-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Here is a very imperfect analogy with what is going here, imperfect because one of matters in comparison involves a proposed rule change/strategy and the other a sale.
Anyways consider this re: the three batter rule:
You go to a store and see a new style beautiful say Ralph Lauren which just came out and within that style you see one shirt that you love.
Lets say it cost $90.
Lets say that you like some of the other new shirts with this new style also but nowhere as much as the first one.
You don't want to spend $90 either because you think the price is a bit high and decide to wait until hopefully it comes down.
Lo and behold in less than a week the price does come down but there is a catch.
There is a one day sale.
The shirt you originally want it is still $90.
However, if you buy two shirts of then same style(either two of the same one you like or the one you like and another), the total price comes down to $135 or $67.50 apiece.
Bu wait there is more.
If you buy three shirts, the price comes down to $180 or $60 apiece.
The question is what you do in this instance?
Do you buy the one shirt and/or buy the two or three and hope/believe that even though you don't like the other two shirts as much as the fist, the extra money spent justifies the cost?
Also, lets be clear-if you try to return the other shirts a few days, you will be forced to pay the original $90 for just the one shirt.
Again there are a lot of holes in this comparison to the three batter rule, but this is what came to mind for me.
If anyone has any comments to this, feel free to post.
ps In reality sales like this do occur at times, meaning it is not really far fetched at least as far as the clothing aspect is concerned.

Last edited by savage1; 03-17-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:39 PM

Rewards: 42,971
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 13673
Likes (Received): 25089
Wow ... You're shot.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 16,703,194
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5459
Likes (Received): 9726
Yeah, it doesn't happen often but i'm speechless too! lol
Old 03-17-2019, 11:31 PM
Recovering Town Drunk

Rewards: 9,582
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1244
Likes (Received): 5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
Here is a very imperfect analogy with what is going here, imperfect because one of matters in comparison involves a proposed rule change/strategy and the other a sale.
Anyways consider this re: the three batter rule:
You go to a store and see a new style beautiful say Ralph Lauren which just came out and within that style you see one shirt that you love.
Lets say it cost $90.
Lets say that you like some of the other new shirts with this new style also but nowhere as much as the first one.
You don't want to spend $90 either because you think the price is a bit high and decide to wait until hopefully it comes down.
Lo and behold in less than a week the price does come down but there is a catch.
There is a one day sale.
The shirt you originally want it is still $90.
However, if you buy two shirts of then same style(either two of the same one you like or the one you like and another), the total price comes down to $135 or $67.50 apiece.
Bu wait there is more.
If you buy three shirts, the price comes down to $180 or $60 apiece.
The question is what you do in this instance?
Do you buy the one shirt and/or buy the two or three and hope/believe that even though you don't like the other two shirts as much as the fist, the extra money spent justifies the cost?
Also, lets be clear-if you try to return the other shirts a few days, you will be forced to pay the original $90 for just the one shirt.
Again there are a lot of holes in this comparison to the three batter rule, but this is what came to mind for me.
If anyone has any comments to this, feel free to post.
ps In reality sales like this do occur at times, meaning it is not really far fetched at least as far as the clothing aspect is concerned.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I "love" the vague way in which someapparently have responded to my last post without offering any SPECIFICS to that with which they disagree.
That said and most importantly, I have a lot of confidence that those who actually take the time to reflect upon what I say will understand the point being made here.
Don't forget also that I clearly stated that the analogy was far from perfect;however I do stand by contention that both matters and the comparisons come down to different choices which have to be made, and that both have positive and negative aspects.
As the old saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Last edited by savage1; 03-18-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:40 AM
the straightshooter

Post Thanks / Like
lol, you do not do a good job of explaining mildly abstract ideas, in fact you make them more complicated

window of opportunity and diminishing returns explain this

value is a better term than price

If the pitcher can provide 100% of his value ve the first batter

but only 65 vs the 2nd and 50 vs the 3rd

you may think twice about having the pitcher face that first batter even though he is the ideal

perhaps a different pitcher can provide 85/80/80 vs 100/65/50

youre overly verbose and pretend this is more complex than it is because you get it,lol

look at how disorganized your thoughts and presentation are

Last edited by Roma; 03-18-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Roma-what clearly emerges from your post to me is this:
First,not unlike a few others in this forum , you are very condescending and arrogant in your remarks, typical of an unskilled debater, and try to drive your points home by poisoning the well with disparaging remarks in the hopes that others will conclude that by so doing you are right simply by the use of your "overwhelming"/ declarative manner of "debating." or better pounding the gavel. lol
As an example, just look at your last line I which you denigrate/call "disorganized my thoughts and presentation are."
That is interesting in that in YOUR OWN THOUGHTs all you do is make/explain the case for the choice/decision making in the case of the manager (with which I fully agree and was implicit in my comparison-perhaps I should have spelled it out), but DO NOT state why/how/if my comparison to the shirt analogy is inappropriate.
Along the same lines and contained in your post is the statement that "value is a better term than price."
What you don't allude to though is that in this instance, in my comparison/analogy example, "value" is the logical extension of "price" in the sense that whikle the manager is thinking ahead to the next two batters to see what the reward/risk value is to bringing in reliever one knowing he will have to face batters two and three, so is the shopper.
In the latter case the shopper is trying to decide whether it is worth saving the money on shirt one if he has to buy another or two more shirts which will discount the cost of shirt one but at the same time will increase the total overall amount of money spent.
The way I see it, while the circumstances of each event are different, they both come down to the person in question making a decision based on external factors.
That's about it.
If above it to verbose for you, then well I can say is Thank GOD that I was blessed with an ability to think and express myself beyond a "See Spot Run"/peabrain manner(like some), and that my logical way of viewing and thinking matters through have served me quite well in both my professional, financial and personal life very well, thank you!
Old 03-18-2019, 01:11 PM
the straightshooter

Post Thanks / Like
shut the fuck up old man

yeah you are a sperg dipshit

you cant debate for shit either.

Last edited by Roma; 03-18-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Tags
game, make, mlb, reason, speed