Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

MLB Baseball MLB Handicapping - Post your MLB picks, talk MLB betting - all baseball.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Rewards: 26,422
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 13426
Likes (Received): 24324
Yankees closing on free-agent reliever Adam Ottavino

Expected to be in the 3 year / $27m range
Old 01-17-2019, 01:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Baseball's best bullpen just got better

With Chapman, Betances, Britton, Ottavino, Green and Holder, that's two teams worth of elite late-game pitching. Now they just have to actually use them in the highest-leverage situations.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:57 PM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 12,827,914
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5256
Likes (Received): 8568
Compare that to the Boston bullpen that is in shambles .......
Old 01-17-2019, 06:05 PM

Rewards: 13,634
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 414
Likes (Received): 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
Compare that to the Boston bullpen that is in shambles .......
Sometimes too many cooks can spoil the broth.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:08 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah keep telling yourself that. They lost their best bullpen guy in the postseason in Kelly and they have no closer. The Yankees bullpen is phenomenal and if you can’t see or admit that you truly are delusional.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Yup, another stupid decision savage

Making a strong core even stronger has all the recipe for a total disaster

Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Lowest BA allowed with RISP in 2018 (min. 80 batters faced):

Blake Snell .084
Aaron Nola .122
Jacob deGrom .136
Adam Ottavino .137
Chris Sale .144

Lowest wOBA allowed in 2018 (min. 300 PA):

Blake Treinen .187
Josh Hader .219
Jacob deGrom .230
Adam Ottavino .231

2018 MLB RP K% Leaders (50+ IP) ... (MLB avg 22.3%)

Josh Hader 46.7
Edwin Diaz 44.3
* Aroldis Chapman 43.9
* Dellin Betances 42.3
Corey Knebel 39.5
Craig Kimbrel 38.9
Jose Leclerc 38.1
* Adam Ottavino 36.3

Yankees have 4 of 2018's top 22 relievers in K% (50+ IP)

Chapman 43.9 (3rd, Hader, Diaz)
Betances 42.3 (4th)
Ottavino 36.3 (8th)
Green 31.5 (22nd)

So ...

Ottavino's slider
Chapman's fastball
Green's fastball
Britton's sinker
And whatever that nasty thing Betances's throws

In the same bullpen.

Yup ... Dumb.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Yeah keep telling yourself that. They lost their best bullpen guy in the postseason in Kelly and they have no closer. The Yankees bullpen is phenomenal and if you canít see or admit that you truly are delusional.
Yeah and I was delusional over at BC in 2013 before season began when I said that Sox were doing a great job of rebuilding their team by not going out and signing superstars but instead were signing decent players and concentrating on improving clubhouse culture.
You in turn said I was wearing a Son pink hat and that the season would be a disaster,
How did your prediction work out as opposed to mine? lol
Also imo you may be to use your word "delusion," to believe that just because Joe Kelly performed well in the playoffs, that that necessarily means that it will continue indefinitely.
It seems to me that during the regular season last season je had "a few" bad outings and was bashed incessantly by lots of Sox fans.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
All you do is wear a pink hat. Other teams make moves and some, like this one is a great move. You can never have too many great arms in the pen. The Red Sox starters are good for about 6 innings each. After that they are fucked right now. That isn't opinion, it's reality.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knight View Post
Yup, another stupid decision savage

Making a strong core even stronger has all the recipe for a total disaster

Lets just say that I like at matters in baseball as well as in life in multi dimensions rather than just one.
With all of the logic and spending the Yankees have used in building their teams since 2000, the fact is that the Yankees have won the ultimate prize, the WS, ONCE whereas the Sox have won four.
Before last season began on the Sox Forum in MLB(before these forums were eliminated) lots of Sox fans as well as Yankee Fans and others were conceding the division to the Yankees and the addition of Stanton and other players.
It was supposed to be the Yankees year to win about 115 games and breeze their way through the playoffs.
I in turn stated that while Yankees had improved themselves, so had the Sox and who had won the division for the past two years, and that there was no reason to assume that Yankees would run away with it and even less so with signing of JD.
Its funny-something happened along the way.
In short baseball unlike fantasy leagues is played by REAL players/human beings and thus subject to a lot of externa influences which cannot be factored in.
If everything was all that simple as using sheer logic, we would all be muti millionaires and Vegas, the Offshores and the Locals would go out of business.
Last I looked, that hasn't "quite" happened yet.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
All you do is wear a pink hat. Other teams make moves and some, like this one is a great move. You can never have too many great arms in the pen. The Red Sox starters are good for about 6 innings each. After that they are fucked right now. That isn't opinion, it's reality.
2013, 2013 and 2013 and your predictions as opposed to mine-how about commenting on that!
I don't agree at all about having too many pitchers, hitters, etc. in the lineup.
In short they all have to fit in and form a cohesive unit.
What if a player is disruptive for example for whatever reason?
Imo he can hurt the team more than help it.
What happens for example if one of the Yankee pitchers doesn't like his role and/or wants more work time?
Along the same lines there is NEVER a guarantee that a pitcher or player who is either acquired or signs as a FA is going to live up to expectations with his new team.
I cited examples of this yesterday with the Sox.
In short, if the Yankee bullpen leads them to the WS and/or if Sox bp fizzles this season, I will admit I am wrong and hats off to the Yankees.
That's why they play REAL games with REAL Player and REAL human beings rather than androids.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:58 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
The Red Sox had the highest payroll in MLB last year and it wasn't close. Let's not talk about others buying titles when Boston is leading the pack in contracts. It makes you look stupid doing it.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
The Red Sox had the highest payroll in MLB last year and it wasn't close. Let's not talk about others buying titles when Boston is leading the pack in contracts. It makes you look stupid doing it.
The fact is that the Yankees were the odds on favorite to win the WS along with the Astros.
The fact is that in 2013 it was felt by most that the Sox would once again finish last as they did not go out and sign the highest paid players they could of instead of using the approach they did.
Lets tell the whole story here.
To play Devils Advocate, if you want to say that the Sox also try to buy the WS, lets just say that judging by results, they have done a hell of a lot better job doing it than any other team starting in 2004.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Who gives a fuck about odds. Don't change the subject to fit your narrative. You talked about the Yankees spending and trying to buy a WS every year and the FACT is that you were wrong.

Boston should have won last year. Their payroll was 22 million higher than the 2nd team on the list and that was not the Yankees either. NY had the 6th highest payroll and they won 100 games

Boston also had the highest payroll in 2017 and they have the highest in 2019. NY hasn't had the highest payroll since 2012 so get off your high horse about who is actually spending the money.

And as far as the favorite to win last year goes? How long have you been gambling savage? The people who place wagers move lines and they decide who the favorite is. Vegas throws out a number based on that. The NYY don't. Geez it's seriously like talking to a wall at times. A pink one.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Who gives a fuck about odds. Don't change the subject to fit your narrative. You talked about the Yankees spending and trying to buy a WS every year and the FACT is that you were wrong.

I am not wrong at all.
Until the Yankees finally got ir right a few years ago and started developing their own players rather than trying to buy it with high priced FA's, they were easily the biggest offender and had little to show for their efforts.
The Yankees signed ARod to that contract and lots of fans felt a Yankee dynasty would occur-that didn't quite happen judging by the number of WS won and/or early exits in the playoffs.

Boston should have won last year. Their payroll was 22 million higher than the 2nd team on the list and that was not the Yankees either. NY had the 6th highest payroll and they won 100 games.

Most of the so called experts believed that the Yankees would win the division and were the team to beat, not the Sox, and that includes Lots of Sox fans.

Boston also had the highest payroll in 2017 and they have the highest in 2019. NY hasn't had the highest payroll since 2012 so get off your high horse about who is actually spending the money.

For me trying to "buy the WS" means a bit more than how much one team spends relative to another.
It also means trying to simply acquire the best player on paper at every position with no regard to anything else.
Imo having the insight as to how well the pieces fit together is just as important.
In 2013 virtually no one thought the Sox had the best team in paper and yet the team succeeded because the team had the right chemistry.
They were 100-1 odds to win the WS after the disaster in 2012.
The results speak for themselves.

And as far as the favorite to win last year goes? How long have you been gambling savage? The people who place wagers move lines and they decide who the favorite is. Vegas throws out a number based on that. The NYY don't. Geez it's seriously like talking to a wall at times. A pink one.
All I will say again is that "pink" prevailed in 2013 and you were 100% WRONG at BC in both your prediction as to how the Sox would do in that year and telling me tat I wore a Sox pink had before the season began.
Will you acknowledge that, yes or no?
ps If it was possible I would go back to BC and pull out your posts saying in essence what I just said that you said about me and my prediction and my wearing a pink Sox Hat.
Did someone use the word "high horse? lol
ps Perhaps both you and your tag team partner in his discussion ought to go back and read some of the posts in the Sox Thread I created before you use the words "high horse."
If anything I was very skeptical and expressed lots of concerns during the course of the season as to how the Sox would do,

Last edited by savage1; 01-17-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
OMG savage i didn't think they would win the WS in 2013

AGAIN

WHO GIVES A FUCK!!!

You are a pink hat. Thinking they would win doesn't change that. You act like they are the only fucking team in MLB that exists, or does things right.

WRONG
Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
OMG savage i didn't think they would win the WS in 2013

AGAIN

WHO GIVES A FUCK!!!

You are a pink hat. Thinking they would win doesn't change that. You act like they are the only fucking team in MLB that exists, or does things right.

WRONG
Again, Wayne, you and your tag team buddy keep referring to me as a Sox pink hat when clearly if you took the time to bother reading my Thread, you would say that that that is 100% FALSE,
In fact if you go back and read lots of posts as the season started to wind down, I your thread you did a lot more boasting/wearing a sox "pink hat" and pointing to Sox achievements than I ever did.
Read some of GoldenGreek's prior posts.
It seems to me that he pointed to you as being a Sox "Pink Hat" a lot more if ever he did with me.
I would bet money if you hired some impartial folks to read what you said in your thread about the Sox and compared it overall to what I said about the Sox in my threads, they would conclude that you are a lot bigger Sox "pink hat" than I am!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
Again, Wayne, you and your tag team buddy keep referring to me as a Sox pink hat when clearly if you took the time to bother reading my Thread, you would say that that that is 100% FALSE,
In fact if you go back and read lots of posts as the season started to wind down, I your thread you did a lot more boasting/wearing a sox "pink hat" and pointing to Sox achievements than I ever did.
Read some of GoldenGreek's prior posts.
It seems to me that he pointed to you as being a Sox "Pink Hat" a lot more if ever he did with me.
I would bet money if you hired some impartial folks to read what you said in your thread about the Sox and compared it overall to what I said about the Sox in my threads, they would conclude that you are a lot bigger Sox "pink hat" than I am!
You are the 1st person in my life that is literally making me want to fuckin puke and hate my own team. If i was the pink hat, that wouldn't be happening. Your narrow vision and pink hat comments truly disgust me as a Sox fan. It's embarrassing.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I will tell you something else:
Before they closed down the Chat Forums in MLB, I was a VERY active member and contributor of the Sox Forum.
In fact, lots of those folks truly HATED everything about the Yankees and made all kind of accusations about folks like Judge, Sanchez, doing as well as they did because they used steroids.
Many times I thought that nasty comments like this were unjustified, and I said so in the Forum along with other hateful comments directed at the Yankees.
Because of this some called me a Yankee fan and that I was just pretending to be a Sox fan when of course nothing could be further from the truth.
At one time I got into a pretty heated discussion about John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman , both of who I enjoy listening go and especially Suzyn Waldman, who I think is at east as good as any female commentator out there.
Lots of Sox fans disagree and think they are horrible.
In short, I call it as I see it whether it be with the Sox, Yankees or any other team or player.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
You are the 1st person in my life that is literally making me want to fuckin puke and hate my own team. If i was the pink hat, that wouldn't be happening. Your narrow vision and pink hat comments truly disgust me as a Sox fan. It's embarrassing.
I am sure for example Goldengreek doesn't agree with your contention.
Your comments about narrow vision and pink hat are 100% unfounded.
My Sox thread as compared to your thread is all what one needs to know.
See also my previous post.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:07 PM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I am sure for example Goldengreek doesn't agree with your contention.
Your comments about narrow vision and pink hat are 100% unfounded.
My Sox thread as compared to your thread is all what one needs to know.
See also my previous post.
If you think i give a fuck about what he thinks, you truly are fuckin clueless.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
If you think i give a fuck about what he thinks, you truly are fuckin clueless.
lol-of course you and not going to give a rat's ass about anyone who dare sto criticize you and/or who disagrees with something you say.
The Sox Forum was loaded with REAL Pink Hats.
Needless to say when I dared to criticize anything they said positive about a Sox player or heaven forbid to take the example I cited in previous post, dared to defend a player like Judge, the Pink Hat clique piled on and I was considered a pariah and a traitor.
It is actually pretty ironic that in this Forum as opposed to the Sox Forum I am considered a Sox Pink Hat by some including you wearing blinders 100% of the time. lol
Old 01-18-2019, 12:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for fucking up this thread savage

There is a reason why basically nobody on this forum engages with you

Why do you think nobody says 2 words in your Red Sox thread? ... And 97% of your northcoast thread is just you babbling on and on and on

Answer ... Nobody gives a shit about your opinions and nobody reads it ... The views are just you running in and out of the thread 20-30 times a day jacking up the view count.

And your dumbass comebacks with:

"I'll post wherever I want"

"This isn't your forum"

"You don't own this thread"

Are sooooo fucking old.

You are an old retired man with way too much time on his hands ... Take up a new hobby, go fishing, collect stamps, spend more time with your wife, go play checkers at the senior center, play with your Boston baseball cards

Hate to break it to ya pal, you know very little about things you think you are an expert in. You are Embarrassing.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knight View Post
Thanks for fucking up this thread savage

There is a reason why basically nobody on this forum engages with you

Why do you think nobody says 2 words in your Red Sox thread? ... And 97% of your northcoast thread is just you babbling on and on and on

Answer ... Nobody gives a shit about your opinions and nobody reads it ... The views are just you running in and out of the thread 20-30 times a day jacking up the view count.

And your dumbass comebacks with:

"I'll post wherever I want"

"This isn't your forum"

"You don't own this thread"

Are sooooo fucking old.

You are an old retired man with way too much time on his hands ... Take up a new hobby, go fishing, collect stamps, spend more time with your wife, go play checkers at the senior center, play with your Boston baseball cards

Hate to break it to ya pal, you know very little about things you think you are an expert in. You are Embarrassing.

I didn't fuck up your thread or any thread for that matter.
It is actually you with your insulting and arrogant manner who "fucked" up this tread.
It is not my fault that you don't have the ability to think in a manner of depth/multi dimensional manner when it comes to evaluating things and/or have no respect for people who disagree with you.
Everything you say about no one caring about my opinions is based on YOUR opinion only.
Your statement about the hit count in the NC being my own is just a pure outright lie, which is not surprising from an arrogant lowlife like yourself.
Again it is no accident/coincidence that it was YOU not I who got their sorry ass suspended here for a month for your condescending and demeaning manner not just toward me but toward others including what could be construed as anti-Semitic remarks.
You might ask yourself why that is!
You remind me of the classic middle school bully who tries to push who you he deems as weaker kids around but not of course someone bigger and stronger than he is.
Based on this post and others I am going to formally request to the person who banned you in the first place and to Dr. Jack himself that you either conform to standards of decency and respect in this forum or at least be warned that if you continue such action you be banned again.
ps I will continue to post and say whatever I want, and you will be treated by me either civilly if you accord me in the same manner or tit for that if you choose to go the other route if you continue to post in the manner in which you do and are not banned first!!
People like you are a dime a dozen, and get away with their bullying and intimidating tactics-fortunately I am not one of those and don't forget it!!
ps As I said before, put me on ignore if you don't have the kind of personality who can handle he viewsof an older but VERY intelligent person who views baseball and life differently that you do!

Last edited by savage1; 01-18-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Hall of Fame

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
lol-of course you and not going to give a rat's ass about anyone who dare sto criticize you and/or who disagrees with something you say.
The Sox Forum was loaded with REAL Pink Hats.
Needless to say when I dared to criticize anything they said positive about a Sox player or heaven forbid to take the example I cited in previous post, dared to defend a player like Judge, the Pink Hat clique piled on and I was considered a pariah and a traitor.
It is actually pretty ironic that in this Forum as opposed to the Sox Forum I am considered a Sox Pink Hat by some including you wearing blinders 100% of the time. lol
You are embarrassing to all other Red Sox fans. And yes, that is just my opinion.

Tags
base, lemahieu, season, yankees, yans