Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

College Football CFB Handicapping - Post your CFB picks, talk CFB betting, anything CFB.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-04-2015, 01:45 PM
whodi whodi is offline
Voice of the Voiceless
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 9,498
Rewards: 96,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1870
Likes (Received): 1367
Canes Coaching update after 10 days.. Will continue to update here.

Looking like Butch will be hire as of now. UGA will probably affect chances at strong:



There still are no signs that any interviews have taken place but based on what we have been able to find out you would have to think that the leading candidate to replace Al Golden right now is Butch Davis.

On face value, it seems insurmountable but guys like Mario Cristobal and Rob Chudzinski can't be counted out and the University is believed to still be very interested in finding out who else out there is interested.

Sources tell me that Davis has the support of several of Miami's most influential boosters, led by guys like tomato grower Paul Dimare and Chicago businessmanTed Schwartz, who donated a big chunk of the money for the Schwartz Center.

Davis also has the support of several former players. There have been a few conference calls organized by Jon Vilma and among a select group of former players such as Jerome McDougle and Edgerrin James. The players would like to have input. But the problem is that there really is not a platform for it and is not something the University has expressed interest in. Sources told CaneSport that the players are lined up behind Butch right now, but are open to other candidates if they emerge.

Davis also has the support of 70% of the fan base based on a poll conducted by CaneSport.

So why doesn't Davis have the job already?

Well largely because the University wants this to be a legitmate search, not a rush to judgement. And not EVERYBODY is lined up behind Davis. In fact one of the greatest concerns has been that there has been such a groundswell of support and buzz over Davis that some coaches out there might be considering it a done deal

The Mario Cristobal camp has been surprisingly very quiet, though there is no denying Cristobal's strong interest in the job. He is preoccupied with preparing Alabama's offensive line for its biggest game of the year this Saturday against LSU. But Cristobal passed by several South Florida high schools on a recruiting trip Friday and Saturday and several high school coaches have told CaneSport they favor his hiring as coach. However there has been internal debate on whether Cristobal is experienced enough to match up against some of the other guys on the board, such as Davis or even Rob Chudzinski, with deeper resumes. Cristobal has a ton of support for a staff position under the head coach, but is unlikely to be interested in that.

We have told you from Day 1 that Texas' Charlie Strong would be interested in Miami if Blake James chose to reach out to him. Strong even mistakenly had a slip of tongue in a press conference the other day and said "Miami" when he meant Notre Dame. But we do not believe there has been any contact there to this point and Strong's stock took a massive drop when he lost Saturday to Iowa State.We are also hearing that Georgia, currently weighing whether to keep Mark Richt, also might have some interest in Strong. So I would not eliminate Strong as a candidate, but it is looking less likely.

So that's about it for right now. There is no timeline so the University is not putting pressure on itself with this search. It is willing to take its time in the interest of getting the best coach available. Right now though, even though there is a long way to go, it is looking like Davis has the best chance of the candidates who have been mentioned publicly.
__________________
Its all about the U
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-04-2015, 06:38 PM
FlyersFan FlyersFan is offline
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 26,959
Rewards: 441
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 4942
Likes (Received): 4723
Family
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-04-2015, 07:24 PM
whodi whodi is offline
Voice of the Voiceless
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 9,498
Rewards: 96,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1870
Likes (Received): 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Family
You got that right Ohio Taint.
__________________
Its all about the U
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2015, 02:44 PM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,640
Rewards: 53,628
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 546
Likes (Received): 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Family
It's a Canes thing, U wouldn't understand
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2015, 05:19 PM
whodi whodi is offline
Voice of the Voiceless
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 9,498
Rewards: 96,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1870
Likes (Received): 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
It's a Canes thing, U wouldn't understand
Even when we absolutely suck ESPN can't get enough of us because we bring in the ratings. The Haters love to see us lose and LOVE to watch and then you have the national following. Regardless, people are closet fans or just love watching us on TV whether good or bad and the ratings prove it. Our product has been absolutely embarrassing and atrocious. The next hire IMO will finally get it right because I know the right person is coming in this time instead of unproven winners that have ZERO HC experience or HC that haven't won with a big time program before. Those hiring fuck ups set the program back years and basically we self emposed santions with those hires. Time to right the wrong and should be done after Thanksgiving in early December. Butch is currently #1 on the list.
__________________
Its all about the U
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Daman34 Daman34 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,060
Rewards: 10,026
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 593
Likes (Received): 1017
lol at Miami homers. I like your style whodi but the U is done as a top tier program and isn't coming back certainly not by bringing back Butch Davis
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2015, 06:44 PM
whodi whodi is offline
Voice of the Voiceless
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 9,498
Rewards: 96,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1870
Likes (Received): 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman34 View Post
lol at Miami homers. I like your style whodi but the U is done as a top tier program and isn't coming back certainly not by bringing back Butch Davis
I can definitely have a conversation without being a blind homer fan. I'll be the 1st to say how pathetic and irrelevant we have been for over a decade. We are far from done being a top tier school. Bama was a dead program for over 15 years before Saban got there. Notre sucked and was irrelevant for 15+ years, USC, Oklahoma ect.... List goes on my friend. Shit, FSU was irrelevant for 10 years.

You bring in a top coach the program can recapture what we did before. Everyone thought our program was dead and stood no chance in mid 90s to come back. Not only did we easily prove that wrong but we put together the best team in CFB history and set countless records with NFL 1st round picks for the next 5 years. We bring in the right coach with the best recruits in our own backyard we can be back in a couple of years back in top 10 on a regular basis and competing with the elites.
__________________
Its all about the U

Last edited by whodi; 11-05-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2015, 06:47 PM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,640
Rewards: 53,628
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 546
Likes (Received): 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman34 View Post
lol at Miami homers. I like your style whodi but the U is done as a top tier program and isn't coming back certainly not by bringing back Butch Davis
I disagree. Will the Canes ever be the power that they were back in the day, no I don't think so, but with the right coach, there's no reason why they can't be a solid program, a program that's consistently ranked in the top ten, and competing for titles. Florida in general, and South Florida in particular, is a hot bed of high school football, there are some great places for high school football, Texas and California come to mind, but there's no state like Florida when it comes to high school football, there's so much talent it's ridiculous. The right coach can keep the best players in Miami. Al Golden wasn't a bad recruiter, he was a bad coach. The right hire can turn the program around. Before Jimbo Fisher was hired at FSU, in the previous five years the Noles went a combined 38-27, since Fisher took over, they are 65-12. If FSU can turn around, so can Miami, they just need to find the right guy, I don't know who that guy is, but if the school finds him, there's no reason why the Canes can't become a great program again.
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2015, 11:46 PM
FlyersFan FlyersFan is offline
Retired
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 26,959
Rewards: 441
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 4942
Likes (Received): 4723
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
It's a Canes thing, U wouldn't understand
Family, i wouldn't get it


No reason Miami can't be a top 20 team and compete for ACC titles but yeah, the landscape of cfb is such that we will never see what they had from any school ever again IMO. Right coach AND the right money for the football budget/program and honestly any school can get good. Who would have thought perennial door mat Baylor would be a top 5 team

Mark Richt might be available soon Whodi
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2015, 11:57 PM
whodi whodi is offline
Voice of the Voiceless
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 9,498
Rewards: 96,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1870
Likes (Received): 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Family, i wouldn't get it


No reason Miami can't be a top 20 team and compete for ACC titles but yeah, the landscape of cfb is such that we will never see what they had from any school ever again IMO. Right coach AND the right money for the football budget/program and honestly any school can get good. Who would have thought perennial door mat Baylor would be a top 5 team

Mark Richt might be available soon Whodi
Golden would get hired before Marky Mark, lol.
__________________
Likes FlyersFan liked this post
Its all about the U
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-06-2015, 12:09 AM
whodi whodi is offline
Voice of the Voiceless
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 9,498
Rewards: 96,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1870
Likes (Received): 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
I disagree. Will the Canes ever be the power that they were back in the day, no I don't think so, but with the right coach, there's no reason why they can't be a solid program, a program that's consistently ranked in the top ten, and competing for titles. Florida in general, and South Florida in particular, is a hot bed of high school football, there are some great places for high school football, Texas and California come to mind, but there's no state like Florida when it comes to high school football, there's so much talent it's ridiculous. The right coach can keep the best players in Miami. Al Golden wasn't a bad recruiter, he was a bad coach. The right hire can turn the program around. Before Jimbo Fisher was hired at FSU, in the previous five years the Noles went a combined 38-27, since Fisher took over, they are 65-12. If FSU can turn around, so can Miami, they just need to find the right guy, I don't know who that guy is, but if the school finds him, there's no reason why the Canes can't become a great program again.
I agree except for Golden being a good recruiter. He sucked. He never closed strong on NSD and way too many local Blue Chip recruits left SF. We have many holes on the team because of his mis-management of the roster. Go look back at our 2011 class. Over 20 players from that class either transferred, kicked off team, or set foot on campus. His lack of recruiting and building relationships with local coaches is why he failed along with not being able to develop and coach up the players. He also couldn't but a staff together and was too stubborn and loyal to a fault. He has never fired an assistant. Pretty pathetic, especially with the failures we had, ex) Coach No D.
__________________
Its all about the U
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-06-2015, 10:37 AM
Classic Rock Classic Rock is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,697
Rewards: 1,216
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 535
Likes (Received): 435
Rich Rod would be a perfect fit at the U.Got to watch it with guys like Davis and Petrino they get you in trouble
__________________
2012 CAPPERSMALL CFL Runner up
2011 CAPPERSMALL CFL CHAMPION
2011 7th place NFL BEST HANDICAPPER
2016 NASCAR PICKEM CHAMP
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-06-2015, 10:59 AM
whodi whodi is offline
Voice of the Voiceless
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 9,498
Rewards: 96,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1870
Likes (Received): 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Rock View Post
Rich Rod would be a perfect fit at the U.Got to watch it with guys like Davis and Petrino they get you in trouble
Pass on Rich.
__________________
Likes kane, FlyersFan, New York Knight liked this post
Its all about the U
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-06-2015, 11:12 AM
inSite inSite is offline
Cappersmall Original
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ronkonkoma, NY
Posts: 2,604
Rewards: 5,704
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 110
Likes (Received): 142
Don't see how anyone could say Miami is done. They have been recruiting well even with Golden, the facilities and stadium I keep hearing about.
__________________
Likes whodi liked this post
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-06-2015, 12:10 PM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,640
Rewards: 53,628
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 546
Likes (Received): 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodi View Post
I agree except for Golden being a good recruiter. He sucked. He never closed strong on NSD and way too many local Blue Chip recruits left SF. We have many holes on the team because of his mis-management of the roster. Go look back at our 2011 class. Over 20 players from that class either transferred, kicked off team, or set foot on campus. His lack of recruiting and building relationships with local coaches is why he failed along with not being able to develop and coach up the players. He also couldn't but a staff together and was too stubborn and loyal to a fault. He has never fired an assistant. Pretty pathetic, especially with the failures we had, ex) Coach No D.
Whodi, the reason why I said Golden was a good recruiter was, his first few years were tough, having to go through all the bullshit with the NCAA really made it harder for him to recruit than it otherwise would have been, considering the circumstances, I thought he did a pretty good job of bringing in talent. I agree about him being loyal to a fault, D'Onofrio should have been fired as DC a long time ago, but he and Golden are best friends, so he never let him go.
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-06-2015, 12:12 PM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,640
Rewards: 53,628
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 546
Likes (Received): 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by inSite View Post
Don't see how anyone could say Miami is done. They have been recruiting well even with Golden, the facilities and stadium I keep hearing about.
The stadium where the Canes play is farther from their campus than any other college team, nothing can replicate the Orange Bowl, Miami has one of the worst home field advantages in the country
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-06-2015, 01:33 PM
whodi whodi is offline
Voice of the Voiceless
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 9,498
Rewards: 96,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1870
Likes (Received): 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Rock View Post
Rich Rod would be a perfect fit at the U.Got to watch it with guys like Davis and Petrino they get you in trouble
Butch was the one who cleaned up the program in mid 90s after Pell Grant Scandal down 31 ships. That 2001 team was clean as a whistle. No one got in trouble under Butch's watch. He was cleared of every thing at UNC and all of that $hit at UNC was going on before he even got there or he wouldn't of been cleared by the NCAA. Definitely not worried about getting into trouble with Butch. Coaches like Kiffin are the ones I would worry about.
__________________
Its all about the U
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-06-2015, 01:49 PM
whodi whodi is offline
Voice of the Voiceless
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 9,498
Rewards: 96,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1870
Likes (Received): 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by inSite View Post
Don't see how anyone could say Miami is done. They have been recruiting well even with Golden, the facilities and stadium I keep hearing about.
I agree 100%. BTW, 2 different times the National Media ect.. piled on us and said we were done. We ended up winning Championships everytime. The facilities have been upgraded big time in the last couple of years. Complete 180 so many have no clue what they are talking about in regards to our so called crappy facilities. Is it like Bama, Oregon, LSU, Tennessee?? No, and never will be but that never stopped us from winning Championships before. How many Championships does Oregon have with there top notch Facilities? Tennessee? Bama is rolling because of Saban, not the facilities. Our stadium has had major upgrades and is a world class stadium and the roof will be done by next year. We are playing in a top notch stadium that will be hosting and have hosted Superbowls. They already made the stadium more fan friendly and closer to the field and have taken seats out. We always had attendance issues but when we are winning the stadium will be filled against the good teams. No one wants to watch a shitty product, especially when it's been dead for 10+ years and there are 1000 different things to do but like in the past, winning cures all. Make the right hire and the rest is irrelvant. The ballers will stay home and we will be back in the picture. I think top 10 within 2 years. Kayaa will be a senior. Have some solid players but many haven't been developed. This will end with the next hire.

This is the NEW MIAMI. Donna is gone, we have a real AD that is no longer a puppet to DONNA, which he proved by firing Golden middle of year that I have been preaching needed to be done and majority down here thought no chance we would do this. That move showed they are serious about the program returning. Bring in Butch, or talks of Mario/Schiano combo changes everything. There will be a huge buzz down here again. Butch alone will have donors opening up there pockets, so we can finally have an indoor practice facility, which is pathetic we don't currently have one. Guarantee we have one by next year when Butch is HC IMO. Everyone is really rallying around Butch its crazy. That's all you hear. Former players will be all over the sidelines again, elite staff. Good times definitely ahead.

This process will be over by early December because that's when the sharks start circling the waters for recruiting. This will give Butch a jump start on keeping the ones he wants. Current 2016 class is top 10 and I bet there are at least 5 that shouldn't even have ships here. Let Butch cut the dead weight and watch how he puts the class together. I never even follow rankings when it comes to Butch because his eye for talent is unmatched. If you go back and look at the 98, 99, 2000 classes we were never close to top 5 but the amount of future 1st rounders and HOF players from those classes are sick and we were barely cracking top 15. He's not the best game day coach but he knows how to put a staff together and will bring in REAL CANES and not players that are just happy with the U on the helmet that have no BIZ being on the team. Sleeping Giant is waking up.
__________________
Its all about the U

Last edited by whodi; 11-06-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-06-2015, 01:58 PM
whodi whodi is offline
Voice of the Voiceless
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 9,498
Rewards: 96,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1870
Likes (Received): 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
Whodi, the reason why I said Golden was a good recruiter was, his first few years were tough, having to go through all the bullshit with the NCAA really made it harder for him to recruit than it otherwise would have been, considering the circumstances, I thought he did a pretty good job of bringing in talent. I agree about him being loyal to a fault, D'Onofrio should have been fired as DC a long time ago, but he and Golden are best friends, so he never let him go.
Golden has never fired anyone in 10 years. Paul Williams should of been fired. These guys left for other jobs. Golden should of been fired after year 4 but Donna fucked that all up saying last year she considered last year for Golden being year 1 was a joke. The studs he did bring in were locks to be Canes no matter who was the coach, ex Duke Johnson, Chickillo, and a few more.

Randy Shannon's best class was year 2, which was ranked #1 and a flop. Most coaches benefit at the beginning from recruting because players see early playing time. The cloud affected us but it wasn't as extreme as many make it out to be. We were ranked higher in recruiting than any other team in Coastal and the only teams ahead of us were FSU and Clemson meanwhile the bottom feeders still rolled us and we continued to lose with the better players and more talent every year in the weak azz ACC.

Look at our Basketball team. Under the cloud our basketball team won the ACC. Are you kidding me??? Our basketball team won the ACC before our football team did and this was under the same "Cloud". Why is that?? Because our basketball program actually made a HR hire and landed a top coach for the program. It's amazing what Real Coaching can do. The cloud had some affect but not to the extreme because our Basketball team lost ships but Coach L had a plan and transfers is what helped him and he developed the players. You can't have it both ways and say the CLOUD is the reason for failures when our Basketball team is winning the ACC and making it to Sweet 16 under the same cloud.
__________________
Its all about the U

Last edited by whodi; 11-06-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-10-2015, 04:07 PM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,640
Rewards: 53,628
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 546
Likes (Received): 450
Hey Whodi, I've been hearing Mario Cristobal's name a lot the past couple of days, let me know if you've heard anything, thanks
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-10-2015, 04:33 PM
springjk springjk is offline
Fight For Glory
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, VA
Posts: 12,122
Rewards: 31,509
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 894
Likes (Received): 2086
yes if we can get an update on this would help us all sleep better at night thanks in advance gl tonight!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-10-2015, 05:33 PM
nolesfan08 nolesfan08 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,181
Rewards: 22,695
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 463
Likes (Received): 394
if you get your info from Gary Ferman, go ahead and eliminate that guy... he's terrible...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-11-2015, 02:12 PM
New York Knight New York Knight is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 94,128
Rewards: 26,343
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 13400
Likes (Received): 24173
My guess is Cristobal gets the job.

And I don't agree with it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-11-2015, 02:18 PM
whodi whodi is offline
Voice of the Voiceless
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 9,498
Rewards: 96,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1870
Likes (Received): 1367
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesfan08 View Post
if you get your info from Gary Ferman, go ahead and eliminate that guy... he's terrible...
No, I don't get my info from GMAN. I'm a member on Canesport but my friends have close personal connections with people at UM on the board.
__________________
Its all about the U
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Daman34 Daman34 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,060
Rewards: 10,026
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 593
Likes (Received): 1017
lol this thread is classic, I love the canes passion but man you guys are delusional. The best this program can do given the current landscape of college football is getting into the top 25 occasionally. Different game boys, other programs have emerged, improved and passed Miami by.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29% Host: cappersmallweb3