Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

NFL Football NFL Handicapping - Post your NFL picks, talk NFL betting, NFL odds or fantasy football.

Likes Likes:  2

Old 01-14-2019, 03:05 PM

Rewards: 3,720
Post Thanks / Like
PATS-KC WX Alert: From Adam Schefter...

National Weather Service is projecting an arctic blast to settle over Kansas City for Sunday's AFC Championship Game vs Patriots, reports the @AP_NFL . Temperatures at kickoff could range from 10 degrees to well below zero, making it the coldest game in Arrowhead Stadium history.

Last edited by BLUE LOU BOYLE; 01-14-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Over/Under opened at 58, now down to 55 @ Westgate...55 1/2 at most books.

BLB
Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
FYI: Total down to 54 at Stations.

BLB
Old 01-16-2019, 12:03 PM

Rewards: 25,574
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 134
May keep dropping like the Temp. Thanks for the info
Old 01-16-2019, 02:19 PM
Clutch

Rewards: 5,180
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 106
Keep dropping...looking at the over in a tease!

RED SOX
Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Total has gone up to 56...I heard that the so-called "artic blast" might not be that cold (sub-zero temps) after all, heard that he may be in the high teens...still cold no doubt but not what they originally predicted.

BLB
Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Snow coming to KC this weekend, but temps not as cold as feared for Chiefs game

KC STAR
By Robert A. Cronkleton

January 17, 2019 03:45 PM,
Updated 24 minutes ago

While snow is still in the weekend forecast for Kansas City, thereís good news for those headed to the AFC Championship Game at Arrowhead Stadium Sunday.

It wonít be as frigid as first feared, though it will be cold when the Kansas City Chiefs take on the New England Patriots Sunday evening.

Temperatures during the game are now expected to be in the low 20s with wind chills in the teens, according to the latest forecast by the National Weather Service in Pleasant Hill.

As another winter storm threatens the Kansas City area, weather service employees are working without pay because of the partial federal government shutdown. They will get back pay once the shutdown ends.

ďďNOAAís National Weather Service has people working 24/7 during the shutdown to perform mission essential functions to protect lives and property,Ē a NOAA representative said in an email. ďObservations, forecasts, watches/warnings, and all of the infrastructure to support these operations continue to be sustained, meeting all operational readiness levels.

ďThese functions are critical to providing life-saving decision support to emergency managers in every county of the United States.Ē

Information about individual weather forecast offices and the number of staff furloughed was not available.

The winter storm is expected to move into the Kansas City area Friday. Precipitation will start falling as rain Friday afternoon and switch over to snow that evening, according to the weather service.

Snow is expected to fall during a 24-hour period beginning 6 p.m. Friday. South of the Missouri River, snow is expected to start falling closer to 9 p.m.

Between 3 and 6 inches of snow is possible along the Interstate 29 and Interstate 70 corridors, with the heaviest snowfall between 7 p.m. Friday and 3 a.m. Saturday north of the river.

South of the river, the heavier snow is expected from midnight Friday to 6 a.m. Saturday.

Winds are expected to be strong, with gusts of 30 to 35 mph between 3 a.m. and noon Saturday. The wind and snow is expected to reduce visibility to under a quarter of a mile at times.

Heavier snowfall is expected to the east and north of the Kansas City area, where between 4 and 8 inches of snow is possible during the same 24-hour period.

Thereís still uncertainty about the snowfall estimates, and they will likely change by Friday morning.

A winter weather advisory has been issued for the area. Travel is expected to be hazardous during the storm, and roads are expected to be covered in snow and ice as temperatures fall rapidly, according to weather service.

Power outages are also possible as the strong winds could further damage trees that have been weakened by last weekendís storm.

An arctic blast is still expected to drop into the area following the storm, sending temperatures plummeting. The temperature will be about 10 degrees in the Kansas City metro, with wind chills between zero and 5 degrees.

It will warm to the low to mid-20s by Sunday afternoon, although wind chills will make it feel more like 16 to 20 degrees.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:16 PM

Rewards: 26,530
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 13428
Likes (Received): 24335
Betting on the Patriots-Chiefs Weather (Literally)
From Mark Gallant

If you still think itís going to be cold, you can bet on it. And Iím not talking about the spread or over/under.

BetOnline set an over/under for the kick-off temperature at 19.5 degrees Farenheit. Thatís -6.94 degrees Celsius for all you non-Americans.

I first noticed these odds in a tweet by Sean Koerner. At the time, the over had +100 juice and the under was at -140. Since then, itís moved to -120 a side. Sharps and meteorologists on the over.

You missed some juice, but still bet the over.

The Arctic blast or whatever you want to call it still exists ó itís just going to be hundreds of miles north of Kansas City.

As a result, the temperatures will just be pretty standard for winter. Our weather page calls for a kickoff temp of 28 degrees, while weather.com and weather.gov both have high temps in the mid-upper 20s.

I also look at two mid-range weather models whenever I write about the weather: the Global forecast system model (GFS) and the European Center for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting model ó ECMWF or Euro Model to the layperson. (I got a Weather for Dummies book for Christmas so you better believe Iím the real deal.)

With these models, I generally look at wind speeds and their direction, as well as wind gusts. However, I can look at temperatures, too.

The Euro Model is the only thing Iíve looked at that thinks this bet will be a sweat, setting the temp at 18 degrees at 6 p.m. local time ó 20 minutes after kickoff. The GFS Model has it at 29 degrees.

For my last source, I went local. Taking native Kansas Citian Scott Millerís advice, I checked out what the folks at KCTV-5 had to say. They have a high temp of 24 for the day and a low of 19. Itís still a little far out to get into the specifics, but the low would most likely occur after 5:40 p.m.

This is the second time in my career Iíve seen a temperature over/under. Iím 1-0 so far. Pray for 20+ degrees.

Tags
@ap_nfl, game, kickoff, range, reports