Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

UFC, MMA, Boxing, etc Talk it up, anything related to Boxing, Wrestling, Ultimate Fighting, & all Martial Arts.

Likes Likes:  0

Old 03-26-2019, 06:38 AM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 16,871,782
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5483
Likes (Received): 9854
UFC's McGregor says in tweet that he's retiring

UFC star Conor McGregor announced his unexpected retirement from mixed martial arts in a post on social media in the early hours of Tuesday.

The announcement came just hours after McGregor, 30, told "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" that he and the UFC were negotiating a potential return to the Octagon in July.

"We're in talks for July," McGregor said in his Tonight Show appearance. "We'll see what happens, a lot of politics going on. The fight game is a mad game. But like I said, to my fans, I am in shape and I am ready.

"I have done my piece for the company. I don't necessarily need to fight. I am set for life. My family is set for life. We are good, but I am eager to fight. So, we'll see what happens. I'm staying ready."

UFC president Dana White told ESPN that McGregor's retirement "totally makes sense." White also said he believes the announcement is legitimate.

"He has the money to retire, and his [Proper 12] whiskey is KILLIN it," White said via text message. "It totally makes sense. If I was him, I would retire too. He's retiring from fighting. Not from working. The whiskey will keep him busy, and I'm sure he has other things he's working on.

"He has been so fun to watch!!! He has accomplished incredible things in this sport. I am so happy for him, and I look forward to seeing him be as successful outside of the Octagon as he was in it."

McGregor (21-4) has "retired" on social media before. In April 2016, he announced on Twitter, "I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya's later."

At that time, McGregor and the UFC were in negotiations regarding a potential fight at UFC 200. McGregor ultimately did not fight at UFC 200, but he appeared in the Octagon one month later in a highly profitable second fight against his rival Nate Diaz.

McGregor's representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:57 PM

Rewards: 46,303
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 13689
Likes (Received): 25291
He's saying that because he is under investigation for sexual assault
Old 03-26-2019, 02:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Besides the allegations, this is just a PR stunt

Knee jerk reaction for Dana not giving into Conor’s negotiation tactics / company share
Old 04-01-2019, 10:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Dana says McGregor is not retired from MMA, and they will meet in the coming weeks to figure out the other ways the UFC can ‘keep him happy.’

White spoke to 8 News in Las Vegas about whether he thinks McGregor is being serious about his retirement.

“No,” White said. “I think there’s some things that Conor wants. I think that Conor wants to get together, face-to-face, he and I, and we probably will in the next couple of weeks to get this thing figured out. He’s stuck on this thing where he wants a piece of the ownership. I think there’s other ways we can make him happy.”

White argued that “Michael Jordan never owned a piece of the NBA,” so McGregor’s plea to own a piece of the company is simply not going to happen.

That could change however if Endeavour (owners of the UFC) becomes a publicly traded company later this year.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
McGregor all coked up and drunk went hard at Khabib last night via social media ... many followers of the sport debating whether the two athletes had gone “too far.”

After McGregor posted a picture poking fun at Nurmagomedov’s wife, calling her a towel (mocking her religious outfit) ... the Russian responded calling Conor a rapist.

Following the incident, many media members called for a UFC intervention, in order to stop the trash talk from going any further.

On Wednesday afternoon, Dana issued a statement ...

“I’m aware of the recent social media exchange between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor. The ongoing situation has escalated to a level that is unacceptable. As such, we are taking the necessary steps to reach out to both athlete camps and this situation is being addressed by all parties internally.”

Dana Loves it

$$$$$$$$$$
Old 04-03-2019, 05:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
20 minutes ago ...

khabib nurmagomedov @TeamKhabib

@TheNotoriousMMA If you think that insulting entire religion you be safe, you are mistaken.

6:20 PM · Apr 3, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

585 Retweets 2K Likes
Old 04-03-2019, 06:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Nevada Athletic Commission executive dir. Bob Bennett says controversial McGregor-Nurmagomedov social media exchanges may or may not be discussed by commission should either fighter apply for a license in state.

Both are currently suspended for their Oct. post-fight brawl.

McGregor's suspension is over April 6

Nurmagomedov's could've been over April 6 too had he made an anti-bullying PSA ... Bennett says he was informed Nurmagomedov will not be making a video so his suspension is over July 6
Old 04-05-2019, 01:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If ........

Westgate Sports Director John Murray

Connor +300
Khabib -400

*Fight must go by 12/31/2020 for action
Old 04-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Advisory Board

Rewards: 17,953
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 974
Likes (Received): 1021
NYK any chance Conor gets an additional suspention for what is being seen as sexist/rascist remarks?

wde
Old 04-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Up in post #7
Old 04-05-2019, 09:53 PM
Advisory Board

Rewards: 17,953
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 974
Likes (Received): 1021
Ok. I read that, what do you think?

Most people sympathize with Kabib over the post fight scuffle based on Mac words about his father/family.

Is this Conor trying to get a rematch not because he thinks can win but, because he wants one more payday..letting it build

He has not won a fight in years now

wde
Old 04-05-2019, 11:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I'll be somewhat surprised if Khabib grants Conor an immediate rematch ... Conor doesn't deserve it, he had nothing for Nurmagomedov in the first fight.

There are so many better fights that should be booked not involving Conor.

But then again, Dana will probably back up the Brinks truck to get the deal done for a rematch sometime around December.

The sad thing is McGregor runs the UFC / owns Dana ... The 155lbs division is full of killers and Conor is allowed to skip the rankings / get whatever he wants just because he is crazy / has a big mouth. It also doesn't help that Conor has a gigantic following of moron / casual "fans" that generate huge PPV sales.

Many fighters and MMA media have expressed their thoughts that these heated arguments are someday going to result in somebody getting killed. Conor's mouth is writing checks that his ass can't cash ... those Russians are crazy mother fuckers and wouldn't hesitate to kill him ... His blatant racism is going to catch up to him

I just wish he would go away, he is ruining the sport ... Dana allowing all this just because he is a money hungry, greedy little prick is disgusting.

Tags
fight, mcgregor, retire, ufc, white