Go Back   Sports Handicapping Forum > Welcome Forums > Main Street > Politics

Politics Political discussion will only be allowed in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2007, 03:20 PM

Rewards: 0
May 3 GOP Presidential Debate

Some comments about last night's GOP debate at the Reagan Library. Ten candidates participated....

John McCain's strategy for the debate was clear from the get go: show vigor, strength and passion. There was a problem, however. He was so wound up, so tightly coiled that he could do little more than bob about like a jack rabbit, while stumbling over every line he committed to (a fading?) memory. It was truly embarrassing to watch. Fortunately, his "booster shot" wore off down the final stretch of the debate, settling him back down here on terra firma.

Mitt Romney was affable and polished. He looked great, his voice was melodious, his posture first rate. As I watched him I couldn't shake the feeling that this man would make one hell of a fabulous -- game show host. Mitt Romney IS Wink Martindale! The thought of the man as President? Almost laughable to me.

Rudy Giuliani was on the defensive more than any of the other candidates because the abortion issue kept creeping into the discussion which is NOT Rudy's strong suit! It only emphasizes his ever changing position on the issue. Aside from that, he didn't command attention the way he usually does in front of an audience. He seemed a bit tenative all evening.

The three frontrunners are deeply flawed candidates and the GOP voters would be wise to look to the second tier for alternatives, IMO (not to Fred Thompson or Newt Gingrich, both of whom are deeply flawed, as well).

Mike Hucabee, the former governor of Arkansas impresses me. The man appears to be an actual compassionate conservative! He's a devout Christian, but he doesn't come from the divide-and-conquer wing, but instead from the "can't we all just get along" wing of the evangelical movement. A rare breed in American politics! As a result he probably isn't mean-spirited enough to appeal to the "money-changers" within the influential Christian ranks, and the GOP brain trust like Karl Rove who rountinely uses "wedge issues" to sow division and resentment within the general electorate. Huckabee could be a genuine healing presence, if elected.

Jim Gilmore, the former governor of Virginia would be another strong choice for the nomination. Tough, knowledgable, with soild, legit conservative credentials, Gilmore could be a genuine dark horse, if given the chance. The one knock against him is the fact that he's a little too self-assured; frankly a bit conceited, IMO. That could rub people the wrong way over time.

Tommy Thompson, the former governor of Wisconsin, may have the most impressive record of accomplishment of any of the candidates. If it were just a matter of putting his record out there he would have a great chance at the nomination. but unfortunately Tommy has to sell his record and himself, and in that regard he's sadly lacking. This man is no Willy Loman! He just doesn't have the "stage presence" to pull it off.

I think any of these three: Hucabee, Gilmore or Tommy Thompson would be a dramatic improvement over McCain, Rudy or Romney.

How did the remaining four candidates do in last night's debate?

Sen. Sam Brownback, who has been a favorite of the evangelical right for years was very good, as well, although I think his ties to the evangelical wing would make him an easy target for the Dems if he were to win the nomination.

Rep. Duncan Hunter was...well, Duncan Hunter. Sour and edgy, a man seemingly never satisified unless a bloodletting of "the enemy" is going on. If this guy were ever elected President I think his first act would be to declare war on the rest of the world.

Rep. Tom Tancredo had a very bad night. Stumblin', bumblin', frumblin' -- he just couldn't get his brain and his tongue on the same page. His big issue is a serious crackdown on illegal immigration and he couldn't even sell that effectively.

And finally, my personal favorite, Rep. Ron Paul from Texas. IMO, one of the few decent, honorable people in Congress. Too decent, and much too trenchent to ever be elected President, and one of the remaining dinosaurs of the old libertarian wing of the Republican party. He had a strong night. Unfortunately, he will now fade back into the woodwork as the pundits obsess about the big three and ignore candidates like Mike Huckabee, Jim Gilmore, Tommy Thompson and Ron Paul any of whom would be a vast improvement over the current frontrunners.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:27 PM
A Real TimeSaver!!

Rewards: 14,142
This to me is a very scary time for the United States of America because just like you said the socalled frontrunners are all flawed and not one of them give me a feeling that this is a person I want leading this country, and that goes for the Democrats as well. There is not one of the front runners from either party that I can see myself saying yes this is the person I want leading what is supposedly the strongest nation in the world and I just don't think any of the people that you mentioned as darkhorses will be given the chance
Old 05-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Holden Morrisey Caulfield

Rewards: 469
Solid write up Ghandi.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:31 PM

Rewards: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandhi
Some comments about last night's GOP debate at the Reagan Library. Ten candidates participated....

John McCain's strategy for the debate was clear from the get go: show vigor, strength and passion. There was a problem, however. He was so wound up, so tightly coiled that he could do little more than bob about like a jack rabbit, while stumbling over every line he committed to (a fading?) memory. It was truly embarrassing to watch. Fortunately, his "booster shot" wore off down the final stretch of the debate, settling him back down here on terra firma.

Mitt Romney was affable and polished. He looked great, his voice was melodious, his posture first rate. As I watched him I couldn't shake the feeling that this man would make one hell of a fabulous -- game show host. Mitt Romney IS Wink Martindale! The thought of the man as President? Almost laughable to me.

Rudy Giuliani was on the defensive more than any of the other candidates because the abortion issue kept creeping into the discussion which is NOT Rudy's strong suit! It only emphasizes his ever changing position on the issue. Aside from that, he didn't command attention the way he usually does in front of an audience. He seemed a bit tenative all evening.

The three frontrunners are deeply flawed candidates and the GOP voters would be wise to look to the second tier for alternatives, IMO (not to Fred Thompson or Newt Gingrich, both of whom are deeply flawed, as well).

Mike Hucabee, the former governor of Arkansas impresses me. The man appears to be an actual compassionate conservative! He's a devout Christian, but he doesn't come from the divide-and-conquer wing, but instead from the "can't we all just get along" wing of the evangelical movement. A rare breed in American politics! As a result he probably isn't mean-spirited enough to appeal to the "money-changers" within the influential Christian ranks, and the GOP brain trust like Karl Rove who rountinely uses "wedge issues" to sow division and resentment within the general electorate. Huckabee could be a genuine healing presence, if elected.

Jim Gilmore, the former governor of Virginia would be another strong choice for the nomination. Tough, knowledgable, with soild, legit conservative credentials, Gilmore could be a genuine dark horse, if given the chance. The one knock against him is the fact that he's a little too self-assured; frankly a bit conceited, IMO. That could rub people the wrong way over time.

Tommy Thompson, the former governor of Wisconsin, may have the most impressive record of accomplishment of any of the candidates. If it were just a matter of putting his record out there he would have a great chance at the nomination. but unfortunately Tommy has to sell his record and himself, and in that regard he's sadly lacking. This man is no Willy Loman! He just doesn't have the "stage presence" to pull it off.

I think any of these three: Hucabee, Gilmore or Tommy Thompson would be a dramatic improvement over McCain, Rudy or Romney.

How did the remaining four candidates do in last night's debate?

Sen. Sam Brownback, who has been a favorite of the evangelical right for years was very good, as well, although I think his ties to the evangelical wing would make him an easy target for the Dems if he were to win the nomination.

Rep. Duncan Hunter was...well, Duncan Hunter. Sour and edgy, a man seemingly never satisified unless a bloodletting of "the enemy" is going on. If this guy were ever elected President I think his first act would be to declare war on the rest of the world.

Rep. Tom Tancredo had a very bad night. Stumblin', bumblin', frumblin' -- he just couldn't get his brain and his tongue on the same page. His big issue is a serious crackdown on illegal immigration and he couldn't even sell that effectively.

And finally, my personal favorite, Rep. Ron Paul from Texas. IMO, one of the few decent, honorable people in Congress. Too decent, and much too trenchent to ever be elected President, and one of the remaining dinosaurs of the old libertarian wing of the Republican party. He had a strong night. Unfortunately, he will now fade back into the woodwork as the pundits obsess about the big three and ignore candidates like Mike Huckabee, Jim Gilmore, Tommy Thompson and Ron Paul any of whom would be a vast improvement over the current frontrunners.
All of 'them' are 'FLAWED' ....just 'chose' 'your' POI-SIN.......