Likes Likes:  0

Old 06-26-2007, 01:28 PM
A Real TimeSaver!!

Rewards: 5,745
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 439
Likes (Received): 3944
CFL-Week 1 Lets Talk Football

Well that time of the year has finally arrived, we are back to the beginning of the CFL season and it will be really nice to see some football back on the TV, only so much NFL Europe I can watch, lmao!! This should be a heckuva a year in the CFL with some of the coaching changes we have seen hopefully bringing back some stability to certain franchises, and other coaching changes that have left me scratching my head like the hiring of Kent Austin in Saskatchewan So lets get started and feel free to voice your own thoughts and opinions.

Just a reminder that the kicking rules have changed this year in regards to what they are calling illegal and legal blocks on the return game and that should allow us to see some excitement back into the kicking games of these CFL games which were almost non existent last year which really affected totals due to the lack of tds off the kicking game and more importantly bad field positions from the kicking game.

First week will be for smaller amounts to see how the new season gets started.

British Columbia -1 .55units to win .5unit(Bowmans)

To me the most complete team going into this years season is the BCLions, no new schemes to really learn, players that are familiar with each other, no QB controversies and you still have when healthy what I consider the best quarterback in the CFL in Dave Dickenson. I think as the season goes on and the QB position gets sorted out with the Argos they are going to be a very formidable team but this week they are starting with that controversy, they are playing a new scheme on offense, they have had some major changes on the defensive side of the ball and will once again be a very good defense but think the Lions will simply be too much in this opening game with all of the changes the Argos had to make during the offseason against a fantastic offense who is very familiar with each ohter in the Lions.

Back with a couple of more plays in a few minutes
Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM
A Real TimeSaver!!

Post Thanks / Like
Winnipeg/Edmonton over 47 1.05units to win 1unit(Pinnacle)

This is a game I am really looking forward to seeing. Eskimos really struggled last year and to be honest I think the same is going to happen this year unless their offense can carry them. Defensively the Eskies have alot of question marks and I really feel that this Bombers offense with a very good QB in Kevin Glenn can exploit them. Bombers defense last year made alot of strides and really surprised people especially in the first half of the season but teams did start to get a better read on this defense in the second half and hopefully the Eskies and Ricky Ray can pick right up this year against them.

Saskatchewan/Montreal over 49.5 .55units to win .5units(Bowmans)

Saskatchewan has one of the best receiving groups in the CFL a QB who can make things happen and if the Als decide to test the Riders OLine which I think they will and leave these receivers with one on one coverage I think they will be able to make plays. As for the Riders defense, this area took a big hit in the offseason and I don't think they filled the losses they had, guess I will find out more this weekend. Hopefully Calvillo has a good game and we see alot of points this weekend.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:21 PM
A Real TimeSaver!!

Post Thanks / Like
Winnipeg +2 1.10units to win 1unit(Pinnacle)

Staying on the trend that I really like the Bombers offense with Glenn running the show(which will probably last for about 3 weeks before he gets hurt again, lol) and one of the top 2 running backs in Charles Roberts(hopefully the Bombers offensive coordinator doesn't forget he has him in the backfield like a few times last year when he did, lol) and a defense that is more comfortable with each other in the Bombers than the Eskies really trying to break in pretty much a whole new defensive team.

Last edited by cptkirk321; 06-26-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Making $$$$$

Rewards: 1,971
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Like all the plays Cpt except I'm on the other side of the Edmonton game. I think Eskimos send a statement in the first game in front of an expected large crowd.

Agree with you on the Lions, they are definitely the most complete team entering the season.

The one player I'm interested in seeing this year is Marc Boerigter as he's back in Calgary...the guy was a force a few years ago and it'll be interesting to see his role with the Stamps.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Fiberspar pipeliner

Rewards: 412
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Guys, Do you think Mookie might go to another team or did he retire
Old 06-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Fiberspar pipeliner

Post Thanks / Like
Looks like good weather for the game with 22 C and a mix of sun and cloud. There is always a chance of thundershowers in that area after a days heating. The town is in a buzz and lots of people are saying they will win game 1 but I'm not so sure. Need some more time on this one.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Deceased

Rewards: 2,720
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 3
One interesting note for the MTL ALOUETTES is the fact that Calvillio will no longer be calling the plays after doing so for 10 years.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:22 PM
A Real TimeSaver!!

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Like all the plays Cpt except I'm on the other side of the Edmonton game. I think Eskimos send a statement in the first game in front of an expected large crowd.

Agree with you on the Lions, they are definitely the most complete team entering the season.

The one player I'm interested in seeing this year is Marc Boerigter as he's back in Calgary...the guy was a force a few years ago and it'll be interesting to see his role with the Stamps.

I know that the Eskies would like to make a statement but to be honest with you this defense is going to be a mess if not for the whole year at least to start with the amount of changes they have made to it and just like the fact that the Bombers come into this season knowing exactly how they want to play and that Front 4 of the Bombers might be the best in the league and once again this year the Eskies have alot of question marks on the offensive line. First area I really take a look at especially in the CFL is the lines play and to me this is where the biggest mismatch is going to take place and be most showing in my opinion. Even though they might want to make a statement I just don't think this week they will be able to matchup against this Bombers team. But thats why they play the games, lol and at least we can talk football again
Old 06-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Deceased

Post Thanks / Like
WEEK 1 by Chris Schultz:
------------------------

BC @ TOR:
----------

A lot of questions surrounding one team, almost none associated with the other. With the Argos, defence and special teams will be as good as any team in the CFL, but there are problems at quarterback and offensive line.

Whether it is Damon Allen, Michael Bishop or Mike McMahon at QB, every play will be an audition to be the starter for the next week. How confident can any of the three of these quarterbacks be, considering the circumstances?

Across the offensive line, only Jude St. John and Chad Folk are established starters.

As a defensive co-ordinator, Dave Richie should be able to implement something new that could change the game quickly.

With B.C. it is the exact opposite; continuity everywhere and confidence at its highest. I think it will be closer than expected, but B.C. 24, Toronto 17

Schultz Picks: B.C. Lions.

WPG @ EDM:
------------

The Eskimos could have as many as 20 new players on the roster Thursday night. Yes, they will be younger, faster and maybe hungrier, but how will they play together?

While the linebacking trio of Terry Ray, Singor Mobley and A.J. Gass was an identifiable part of Edmonton football, Gass is the only one left and he might miss the game due to injury.

The Bombers have not played well in their two exhibition games.

I have seen some teams that look awful during the exhibition season and play extremely well in Week One, but I've also seen the opposite as well.

I like Edmonton in this game because all of the attention of playing at home after not making the playoffs last year.

A loss would shake the confidence a bit, especially considering they have to play the Lions in Vancouver next.

Edmonton 27, Winnipeg 19

Schultz Picks: Edmonton Eskimos.

SASK @ MTL:
-------------

The opener for Kent Austin is in a stadium that can be unforgiving.

Both teams have new systems -- the Bellefeuille way in Montreal and the Austin way in Saskatchewan.

It is more likely that the Alouettes assimilate and execute better than the Riders. Anthony Calvillo is established while Kerry Joseph and Marcus Crandell are both in competition for the starter's position.

Also, the Riders have a new running back in Wes Cates and new receivers now that Thyron Anderson and Jason French have been traded to Hamilton.

I also like Montreal up front; they may turn into one of the best offensive lines by the end of the season.

Montreal 30, Saskatchewan 19

Schultz Picks: Montreal Alouettes.

HAM @ CGY:
------------

Just like Saskatchewan, traveling on Week One creates a challenge for Hamilton.

Calgary should be effective on offence -- they have too many good receiers and running backs along with an experienced quarterback.

They are the exact opposite on defence, where they have an entirely new defensive line, two new linebackers and a re-designed secondary.

The majority of quarterbacks that I know tell me that playing a 3-4 defence is tougher than a 4-3, which means yet another challenge for Jason Maas.

As much as Maas is the key at quarterback, running back Jesse Lumsden can haelp him more than any other player.

Lumsden looked very good in the one exhibition game he played.

Hamilton runs a stretch sweep that, if blocked properly, can get your running back to the second level of the defence every time, and Lumsden has an excellent combination of power and speed.

A 100-plus yard-game by Lumsden and the Ticats win, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Calgary 37, Hamilton 27

Schultz Picks: Calgary Stampeders.

*Chris may have had an awful NFL record last season but his CFL was decent. I'll still give him the benefit of a doubt but he still knows the Canadian brand of Football.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 PM
CM HOF, Class of 2011

Rewards: 148
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 32
Likes (Received): 2827
Hey Boys,

It is nice to see the CFL back as I have been waiting for this day for quite sometime! I am a die hard Toronto Argo fan & will be hard pressed to bet against them in the season opener. However, I am not to excited to see Damon Allen starting. I think he is on the decline as evident from last year & I think we will see him be subpar Thursday night. He will likely go 55% completion if that, get sacked 2-3 times, throw 2 INTs, and maybe 1 TD. By the 3rd week of the season Bishop will be in control and maybe McMahon by the mid week point.

With all that said, I still want the Argos to win the game lol, and have this feeling they will sneak it out! I believe I did read that they are splitting the series with Allen/Bishop Thursday, does anyone expect that to affect the flow for the offense? OR to have that last all that long?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Making $$$$$

Rewards: 1,971
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkirk321
I know that the Eskies would like to make a statement but to be honest with you this defense is going to be a mess if not for the whole year at least to start with the amount of changes they have made to it and just like the fact that the Bombers come into this season knowing exactly how they want to play and that Front 4 of the Bombers might be the best in the league and once again this year the Eskies have alot of question marks on the offensive line. First area I really take a look at especially in the CFL is the lines play and to me this is where the biggest mismatch is going to take place and be most showing in my opinion. Even though they might want to make a statement I just don't think this week they will be able to matchup against this Bombers team. But thats why they play the games, lol and at least we can talk football again
You're right on several points, and I know the Eskies do have a lot of question marks. Either way, it's a relatively low unit play for me so we'll see what happens. Winnipeg definitely does have a super strong front 4, their problem last year was that they went away from Charles Roberts (one of the top 3 difference makers in the league IMO) too often and by the time they went back to him, they'd be too far behind. Should be a good game though.

Good Luck.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:21 PM
A Real TimeSaver!!

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
You're right on several points, and I know the Eskies do have a lot of question marks. Either way, it's a relatively low unit play for me so we'll see what happens. Winnipeg definitely does have a super strong front 4, their problem last year was that they went away from Charles Roberts (one of the top 3 difference makers in the league IMO) too often and by the time they went back to him, they'd be too far behind. Should be a good game though.

Good Luck.

Like I said when I was talking about this game I really hope the OC doesn't forget he one of the greatest weapons in the CFL in his backfield, because you are right it was almost like they forgot they had him in there for big stretches of games last year. Run him, dump offs, don't care how you get this guy the ball but you do it as often as you can and that just opens everything else up down the field for Glenn and these receivers.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:46 PM

Rewards: 115,244
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 27686
Likes (Received): 11137
Cap'n, you got a total for the Argo game, I'm pretty busy here at work and don't have time to look it up. Also in regards to this game I have a feeling that if the old man isn't creating any offense by halftime he gets yanked I don't think the Argos will want to waste any time getting whomever is gonna replace him in there. Cheers Steve
Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Deceased

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmartin57ca
Cap'n, you got a total for the Argo game, I'm pretty busy here at work and don't have time to look it up. Also in regards to this game I have a feeling that if the old man isn't creating any offense by halftime he gets yanked I don't think the Argos will want to waste any time getting whomever is gonna replace him in there. Cheers Steve
BC/TOR opened at 47 and Pinnacle Sports has it at 48
Old 06-26-2007, 08:52 PM

Rewards: 115,244
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 27686
Likes (Received): 11137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukester
BC/TOR opened at 47 and Pinnacle Sports has it at 48
Thanks Lukester, am gonna follow this line, since the 2nd xgame vs Al's I just can't shake the feelin that the Argos are actually gonna surprise us and put up some points. Now I am not saying they are gonna win(sorry LCC) they may squeek out a 1-3pt win depending on how far behind they are at the half and if they switch QBs which could mess up BCs defensive scheme, but like you guys I feel the Leo's are the class of the league this year and should win this game by at least 7-10pts esp if they leave the old man in all game. God dam it Cap'n is right sometimes whats comin out of your brain doesn't transfer to the keyboard properly, anyways I think most of you get my drift,lol. Cheers Steve
Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Go Oilers Go!

Rewards: 4,635
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 45
Wow...you like the Esks/Bombers over too huh? GL!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 AM
A Real TimeSaver!!

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCC
Hey Boys,

It is nice to see the CFL back as I have been waiting for this day for quite sometime! I am a die hard Toronto Argo fan & will be hard pressed to bet against them in the season opener. However, I am not to excited to see Damon Allen starting. I think he is on the decline as evident from last year & I think we will see him be subpar Thursday night. He will likely go 55% completion if that, get sacked 2-3 times, throw 2 INTs, and maybe 1 TD. By the 3rd week of the season Bishop will be in control and maybe McMahon by the mid week point.

With all that said, I still want the Argos to win the game lol, and have this feeling they will sneak it out! I believe I did read that they are splitting the series with Allen/Bishop Thursday, does anyone expect that to affect the flow for the offense? OR to have that last all that long?
Lord I honestly don't know what to make of the QB situation, how its going to help or hurt but I did find one thing very interesting this morning after hearing a bit of Pinball talking, he said that Damon would start but if he struggled there would be a change during the game but the most interesting thing he said or didn't say was that chances are you are going to see "another quarterback" come in for some series even if Damon is going well, the thing I find very strange is he didn't say Bishop, he said "another quarterback". Now I might be reading into something thats not there, but if it was Bishop that he was planning on bringing in wouldn't he of said that Bishop would be coming into the game and not "another quarterback"? I think McMahon has really impressed the coaching staff through camp and like I said a couple of weeks ago I was really not going to be surprised if he moved up the depth chart as the season went on, but not I am thinking that we might actually see him starting sooner rather than later, I know he made it quite clear last week that he was here to play and if he was going to sit on the bench and be a backup he would rather do it in the NFL where he would make a whole lot more money. Should be a very interesting next little while in ArgoLand.

But still think the Lions win, lmao!!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 AM
A Real TimeSaver!!

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus
Wow...you like the Esks/Bombers over too huh? GL!

until I see the Eskies defense actually doing something just feel that there are so many new faces on that side of the ball its going to take some time if at all this year to mesh, and the Bombers have a very good offense.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Fiberspar pipeliner

Post Thanks / Like
The odds for the games are out, here in the west, they are bad

BC -4.5 (great if you like TOR)
EDM -1.5
MTL -4.5 (great if you like SASK)
CAL -11.5 (great if you like HAM)

What do you guys think of this lines?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Deceased

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by The lookers

EDM -1.5

When lines are between two square numbers, it means a few things:

-to keep any line movement to minimum
-to draw action more to one side
-uncertainty of team production as it's only game #1...it could go either way
-no matter which way the game ends, those lines are not for a buyer's market and "they" will make a sure-shot killing.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:06 PM
A Real TimeSaver!!

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by The lookers

EDM -1.5

Sorry can't be much help, the only one I really like strong on those numbers is the Winnipeg +1.5, really see the Bombers winning by 7+ even playing in Edmonton, just simply a better team right now as long as Glenn doesn't get hurt in the game which with him is always a possibility, lol. The other one I like but to a lesser degree is the Lions -4.5. Montreal/Saskatchewan until I see both teams play I will not play a side with them but do think they will manage to score points. Calgary just way too many points for my liking in Week 1 without seeing how the new and improved Hamilton TiCats look, if this was last year I would be willing to take the Stamps but new regime in Hamilton and a new OC in Calgary holds me off laying this type of number and you still are talking about Henry Burris who is quite capable of throwing for 5 tds in a game, three to his own team and two to the other team that gets returned, lol!!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Tavon Austin

Rewards: 3,029
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 210
I'm liking the Argos to cover their spread. The consensus here on the forum is BC all the way, but I think differently, not that I'm right lol. The Argos hauled in some more NFL players this year of course, most notably Jamel White, Mike McMahon, and Adrian Mayes. Jamel White is the best running back in the CFL period, yes, better than Roberts. I agree with some of you guys who are saying that Damon Allen's skills have diminished. If I'm Pinball I'm playing McMahon under center, wasn't that long ago he was running the Eagles offense, of course he is in the CFL for a reason, but it isn't that he can't play.

The Argos DB's are pretty solid also. They got guys like Khalil Carter, Steinauer, and the newly brought in Adrian Mayes, who I think along with Tay Cody, if they are able to stay in the lineup, are the two best DB's in the league.

On a side note, it seems to me like CFL teams can't realize true talent. I'm a Ti-Cats fan and when it comes to bringing in former NFLers, other pro league players, their useless. They signed Shaun King and release him before the season even starts. Obviously if this guy was playing in the NFL/was a draft pick in the NFL they are good players, which is why guys like Akili Smith and Mike McMahon should be starting. Of course, I don't see what goes on behind the scenes maybe those guys don't want to work hard for their spot, maybe they just have attitude problems, etc etc. But it seems to me that these guys are basically given free scouting reports from the NFL based on what an organization has done. You can just tell the guys who can rip of game ending plays no matter what league it is in.

Bottom line is CFL scouts, general managers, are idiots lol. But who am I to talk with my 9-5 job.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:49 PM
A Real TimeSaver!!

Post Thanks / Like
dauntdpigeon two completely different games, especially when it comes to quarterbacks, defensive backs and running backs(skilled positions in general). Playing QB in the CFL is completely different than playing QB in the NFL, first off these guys have been trained their whole lives to play against 11 defenders and here in the CFL they have now got to change how they trained themselves for years on how to read defenses because of the extra player and they have to do this on a field that is so much bigger than they are use to playing. An out is completely different in the CFL than it is in the NFL, zones are completely different than it is in the NFL, damn everything is completely different than the NFL for a QB. Same goes for the other skilled positions, your techniques are different, what makes a successful player in the CFL compared to the NFL is completely different. And here is a little tidbit of info, the teams that usually do well in the CFL are the ones who have the best Canadian talent, the more Canadian talent you have on the field the better your chances of doing well in the CFL because of the import and nonimport rules. Most GMs drool at the prospect of getting true Canadian talent on their roster, because it makes their jobs so much easier in other positions to fill out their roster with American born players.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Deceased

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauntdpigeon
I'm liking the Argos to cover their spread. The consensus here on the forum is BC all the way, but I think differently, not that I'm right lol. The Argos hauled in some more NFL players this year of course, most notably Jamel White, Mike McMahon, and Adrian Mayes. Jamel White is the best running back in the CFL period, yes, better than Roberts. I agree with some of you guys who are saying that Damon Allen's skills have diminished. If I'm Pinball I'm playing McMahon under center, wasn't that long ago he was running the Eagles offense, of course he is in the CFL for a reason, but it isn't that he can't play.

The Argos DB's are pretty solid also. They got guys like Khalil Carter, Steinauer, and the newly brought in Adrian Mayes, who I think along with Tay Cody, if they are able to stay in the lineup, are the two best DB's in the league.

On a side note, it seems to me like CFL teams can't realize true talent. I'm a Ti-Cats fan and when it comes to bringing in former NFLers, other pro league players, their useless. They signed Shaun King and release him before the season even starts. Obviously if this guy was playing in the NFL/was a draft pick in the NFL they are good players, which is why guys like Akili Smith and Mike McMahon should be starting. Of course, I don't see what goes on behind the scenes maybe those guys don't want to work hard for their spot, maybe they just have attitude problems, etc etc. But it seems to me that these guys are basically given free scouting reports from the NFL based on what an organization has done. You can just tell the guys who can rip of game ending plays no matter what league it is in.

Bottom line is CFL scouts, general managers, are idiots lol. But who am I to talk with my 9-5 job.
ex-NFL Players don't do well in the CFL...probably cuz it's a demotion...but it's a good training ground in case they do exceptionally well they will be called back, i.e. Warren Moon.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 PM
Tavon Austin

Rewards: 3,029
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkirk321
dauntdpigeon two completely different games, especially when it comes to quarterbacks, defensive backs and running backs(skilled positions in general). Playing QB in the CFL is completely different than playing QB in the NFL, first off these guys have been trained their whole lives to play against 11 defenders and here in the CFL they have now got to change how they trained themselves for years on how to read defenses because of the extra player and they have to do this on a field that is so much bigger than they are use to playing. An out is completely different in the CFL than it is in the NFL, zones are completely different than it is in the NFL, damn everything is completely different than the NFL for a QB. Same goes for the other skilled positions, your techniques are different, what makes a successful player in the CFL compared to the NFL is completely different. And here is a little tidbit of info, the teams that usually do well in the CFL are the ones who have the best Canadian talent, the more Canadian talent you have on the field the better your chances of doing well in the CFL because of the import and nonimport rules. Most GMs drool at the prospect of getting true Canadian talent on their roster, because it makes their jobs so much easier in other positions to fill out their roster with American born players.
So why is it players that start in the NFL are now CFL All Stars. Guys like Ricky Ray, Dave Dickinson, Matt Dominguez, Marc Boerigter, Joe Smith, the list goes on. These guys are all imports, as are most of the guys who contribute the most during any given CFL game. It seems to me like talent is just being passed over. Other reasons affect this also, such as history. On a hunch, I'm going to say that Akili Smith is better than Henry Burris, first round flop or not. He's been out of football, he's been bouncing around leagues, he hasn't been starting...bottom line is he possesses the raw skills ie Throwing, Running, Athleticism, etc. Teams like Cats with Maas and Stamps with Burris are so afraid to stray away from the guy who has been "playing well" and step closer to the guy who could put them over the top. Like I said before though, I wouldn't really know, I'm an average Joe.