Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > > >

Info General info about rules, questions, how to and more. We will be expanding this section.

Likes Likes:  0

Old 02-18-2015, 04:07 PM

Rewards: 13,078
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 11086
Likes (Received): 2629
smoke odor

guys i need your advise on how to get rid of a smoke odor that's on a leather bag. my wife got it from her cousin who was a heavy smoker. is there any ointment to use? we tried airing it out. but that didn't work. so is their anyone out there who does?

thank you
Old 03-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Rewards: 16,858,717
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5481
Likes (Received): 9849
Wish I could help but IDK either!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 PM
CRETINOUS EUNUCH

Rewards: 1,896
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 22780
Likes (Received): 6173
Start smoking yourselves, then you won't notice it.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Banned

Rewards: 3,142
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 213
Wipe down the leather with some ben-gay
Old 04-11-2015, 01:31 PM
peace

Rewards: 21,154
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 32
Likes (Received): 40
Getting the smoke smell out of leather goods can be easy or difficult. It depends on whether the leather is hard (like a biker jacket or cowboy boots) or soft (like a purse or more stylish jacket) and on what's on the inside, which is likely where most of the smell has collected.

Either way, the place to start is with a good leather cleaner recommended for your type of leather. According to cleaning website How to Clean Stuff, you can also use a diluted vinegar or rubbing alcohol solution to clean the leather, though you'll want to careful not to allow the solution to soak into the leather. Personally, I think I'd spring for the cost of the leather cleaner.

How you clean the inside of the item depends on what it's made of. Many purses and bags have a nylon interior that you can wash down with soap and water (or a vinegar and water solution). For fabric interiors, follow the cleaning instructions or you can first try to simple deodorize using these tricks:

Place dryer sheets, coffee grounds, or charcoal inside a nylon stocking or wrap them up in cheesecloth. Put this inside the item and leave for several days.
For bags, you can also use an opened box of baking soda in the same way.
Just like with other fabrics, fresh air and sunlight will go a long way to reducing odors.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:13 AM

Rewards: 542
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 9
I found this on the internet. Hope it helps.

This is a tough one but an online search offers many suggestions.

THE DAMP CLOTH
Try wiping down both the inside and outside of your bag with a very rung out damp cloth, then give it a dry wipe straight after to remove any moisture. Never soak your leather bag unless you're hell bent on ruining it.

WHITE VINEGAR
Wipe it down with diluted white vinegar. Use your judgement on the strength of the dilution given the nature of your bag, but 50/50 should work in most cases. White vinegar will help kill any mold, bacteria and odours without staining.

BICARBONATE OF SODA
While there's a million ways in which you can do this, we suggest pouring the bicarb into a small pot or even a baby sock, then leaving it inside the bag for a day or two to neutralise bad smells.

DRY GROUND COFFEE
Just like the baking soda tip, try pouring dry ground coffeeinto an open pot, small bag or sock, and leaving in your bag for a day or two. Once the coffee smell fades it should take any cigarette smoke with it.