Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

2016 NFL Pick 5 This is one of our favorite contests. Similar to westgate.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:34 PM
cappersmall VIP

Rewards: 0
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 7738
Likes (Received): 12651
I suggest using rotation numbers in this contest but it is not 100% needed or the NFL one. I know every NFL final without even looking. HOWEVER -- with a rotation number there can be very little question in what you played. just no abbreviations in this contest. No Phil or Philly for Phildelphia , and especially one like NY , when there are two NY teams. clearly state team AND the line.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Banned

Rewards: 1,235
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 13
I agree that there should be some consistency in everyone posting picks. "Philly" would obviously be referring to the Eagles so I'd be okay with someone putting that but just to be black/white it makes sense to write the entire city out. So... will this be enforced? Will there be any sort of penalty for those who do not properly list their picks? I think there should be, just like after someone posts their picks then no changing them afterward under any circumstance. People should be firm on their picks by the time they are ready to post them!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:32 PM

Rewards: 6,753
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 526
Likes (Received): 208
Whoever scores the contest should have the strongest opinion of the changes necessary (if any) for accurate recordkeeping purposes.This contest has been very successful in the past and likely doesn't require too much improvement- (IMHO).
Old 08-23-2016, 09:48 PM
cappersmall VIP

Post Thanks / Like
I'll be scoring again and for the NFL I just ask no nicknames or abbreviations and both teams posted when doing a total. All I ask
Old 08-23-2016, 10:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhotpicks2 View Post
I'll be scoring again and for the NFL I just ask no nicknames or abbreviations and both teams posted when doing a total. All I ask
That sounds very reasonable to me. You do a great job every year MrHotPicks2. Your efforts are greatly appreaciated my friend.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Banned

Rewards: 1,235
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 13
Quote:
And if someone posts nicknames/abbreviations will they just get verbal warnings and no further repercussions?
Old 08-24-2016, 04:54 PM

Rewards: 10,717
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 93
Too late now but it would be nice to have it set up like a golf tournament. Have to make the cut after 10 weeks to continue. No reason to post picks when you are drawing dead. I was dead as quack well before November last year.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:26 PM

Rewards: 29,583
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 191
Likes (Received): 285
Quote:
I suggest using rotation numbers in this contest but it is not 100% needed or the NFL one. I know every NFL final without even looking. HOWEVER -- with a rotation number there can be very little question in what you played. just no abbreviations in this contest. No Phil or Philly for Phildelphia , and especially one like NY , when there are two NY teams. clearly state team AND the line.
When a contestant's choice isn't clear to grader, especially since it has been clearly posted that abbreviations should not be used, it should be graded a loss.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:57 PM
cappersmall VIP

Post Thanks / Like
I'm good with that briefcase, but in the end I leave the rules up to jack
Old 09-02-2016, 02:30 PM

Rewards: 633
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 310
Likes (Received): 1994
If you pick the Thursday game do you have to make all 5 picks before that game starts ? I'm thinking yes because you say only one post per week but not sure. Do you have an alternate way to send in picks if say one couldn't get into the site for some reason like someones email.

Jack I'm in and will contact you about payment, thanks
Old 09-02-2016, 02:40 PM
Big Kahuna

Rewards: 9,775
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 4019
Likes (Received): 7206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
If you pick the Thursday game do you have to make all 5 picks before that game starts ? I'm thinking yes because you say only one post per week but not sure. Do you have an alternate way to send in picks if say one couldn't get into the site for some reason like someones email.

Jack I'm in and will contact you about payment, thanks
Yes if playing Thursday all 5 must be posted at same time, at that time. Otherwise the deadline is 1pm EST Sunday. We recommend not waiting for last minute in case web has problems or anything else comes up.

Right now we do not have an alternative and haven't done that in previous years but I am considering putting up that option only in the event of the web site being down and only with buy-in contests. If we do this I will put up a note with the week 1 thread. I am still unsure we should and thinking it over. Doing that sometimes creates other problems. We do everything possible to upgrade server but sometimes it is out of our control. Last year we didn't have any issues with this and we've taken proper steps but ultimately can't guarantee it. It is why we suggest not waiting to the last minute to post picks.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:56 PM
the straightshooter

Rewards: 101,548
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 6030
Likes (Received): 7217
looks like the pot will break record?
Old 09-12-2016, 01:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I'm good with that briefcase, but in the end I leave the rules up to jack
If this already has been clarified, please disregard my post. However, there is a lot of money changing hands in this contest and at the finish line one point will change who cashes.

When a mistake is made posting a rotation number with an incorrect team name, how will it be graded?

Will the rotation number trump the team name or vice versa?

The same clarification should be posted when an incorrect rotation number is posted for totals picks.

Example: Tonight's games.

479 Washington +3

482 Pittsburgh / Washington OVER 50

I personally believe the posted rotation numbers should trump everything else when grading.

The above picks would be graded Pittsburgh -3 and Los Angeles / San Francisco OVER.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:36 PM
cappersmall VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Jack can overrule this , if he wants. but i will speak on what i want based on being the score keeper.

team name would trump rotation number.

I honestly do not "need" rotation numbers in this contest anyway as i dont even have to look back at scores to score any NFL contest , so my mind honestly will not even see a rotation number being wrong.

if jack wants it the other way but i must be honest its going to double or triple my scoring time , as every single game with a rotation number i would have to make sure it is right , make sense?
Old 09-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Professional

Rewards: 1,821
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 25
Quote:
Jack can overrule this , if he wants. but i will speak on what i want based on being the score keeper.

team name would trump rotation number.

I honestly do not "need" rotation numbers in this contest anyway as i dont even have to look back at scores to score any NFL contest , so my mind honestly will not even see a rotation number being wrong.

if jack wants it the other way but i must be honest its going to double or triple my scoring time , as every single game with a rotation number i would have to make sure it is right , make sense?
I agree with this. If you post 479 GIANTS -3, I believe that you genuinely want Giants -3, not whatever 479 is. YMMV, of course.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Ok you are the grader and Jack is the boss, so it's fine that the team name trumps the rotation number, but it needs to be clarified before it happens.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:59 PM
cappersmall VIP

Post Thanks / Like
if i have to check EVERY SINGLE rotation number basically to make sure it is right, which is honestly what i would have to do if rotation number trumped team name , then my scoring time AT LEAST doubles, if not triples.

and like ive said before , i do not even need rotation numbers in NFL contests. however, FULL team names and CORRECT lines are key.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Big Kahuna

Rewards: 9,775
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 4019
Likes (Received): 7206
For the NFL contest only, team name is what is official. Be clear with the teams you want to avoid problems

The use of rotation numbers are used in college mostly because a nightmare amount of games and with rotation numbers you can look them up to score easier.

In the NFL I agree with hp2 where you pretty much know all the scores and spreads.

But if hp2 has to guess what the play is then it is a loss. I think everyone is on the same page with that.

We all agree that it's a lot of money and we want to be fair, follow the rules and be consistent
Old 09-12-2016, 02:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:02 PM
Ponies & amp; amp; a mp; NFL software

Rewards: 1,406
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 51
It's great to have fun and be friends playing this contest, but does that make it a friendly contest? If I may suggest (if it's not too obvious). Open two windows, one with the lines, the other for the contest entries. Copy and paste the line with the play you want. No errors, no confusion, no responsibility with the grader to decide what a play means. A lot quicker than typing too. ;)
Old 09-12-2016, 03:04 PM
cappersmall VIP

Post Thanks / Like
I've always wondered why people don't copy/paste in any coast. It's all I do. You don't even need 2 windows, just quote my line post, and delete all but your 5.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Based on what mhp2 and Dr. Jack have said here- why would rotation numbers continue to be used in this NFL contest?

Personally, I don't care to beat people because they have possibly made a clerical error when it is clearly obvious what they intended. I would much rather beat others based on having made more winning picks than they have made (but that's just me). There are plenty of really quality cappers here who should be able to beat people without worrying about stuff like that- (IMO).
Old 09-12-2016, 03:31 PM
cappersmall VIP

Post Thanks / Like
i put them in there because some like to use them, for an NFL contest i dont care if they are used or not honestly , but like i said need to stop seeing some "Phil" or even "NY" , FULL Team names i do ask for.

Tags
nfl, nfl pick 5