Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

MLB Baseball MLB Handicapping - Post your MLB picks, talk MLB betting - all baseball.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:40 PM
cappersmall VIP

Rewards: 41,125
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2173
Likes (Received): 2164
This thread sucks.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:57 PM

Rewards: 15,685
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 585
Likes (Received): 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetleaf22 View Post
This thread sucks.
See Spot run.

http://worldartsme.com/images/duh-clipart-1.jpg

Last edited by savage1; 03-25-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Here is the schedule of Red Sox radio announcers for April | Boston.com

Not that it really matters that much, but I wonder what the Sox are trying to accomplish here with this Announcer by Committee venture.
It is too bad that they can't borrow the likes of Jon Miller on days off with the Giants or even better exhume the likes of the great Curt Gowdy, Ned Martin and Bob Murphy and bring them back to life for a stint in their former capacity with the Sox.
ps Imo Sean McDonough is overrated as an announcer and imo is in the middle of the pack at best of those who have done Sox games in the past and at the present time.

Last edited by savage1; 03-25-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Double Post
Old 03-26-2019, 11:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Now this idea I like:

Boston Red Sox should sign free agent pitcher Dallas Keuchel

Last edited by savage1; 03-26-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
If Sox get off to a slow start and a big reason is that because the bp is failing and especially the closing role, I think acquiring Keuchel would be a terrific idea if he is still available and would accept a short term contract.
We all know the brilliance DD showed last season when he signed the likes of Eovaldi, Steve Pearce, and Ian Kinsler.
I would have no problem should DD make this move if he feels it would improve the team and Keuchel would accept a contract which meets the team's fiscal philosophy.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Another reason I think signing Keuchel isn't a bad idea is that if it becomes obvious by TD that this Sox isn't going to be a legitimate contender this season for a number of reasons, the Sox could probably trade Keuchel to another team which is in the hunt(maybe even back to the Astros lol) for other players, prospects in the same way they moved Lester.
Of course this assume that Keuchel and Sox could come to terms on a short term hopefully one year contract.
At end of the season his new team could either try to resign him depending on how well he did with them and/or let him walk and try signing with someone else.
Obviously there are lots of ifs and conditions under this scenario, but imo based on this and what I said previously, imo it is worth a shot to try to sign him if the Sox falter early and obviously he is still available.

Last edited by savage1; 03-26-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I just posted this in the Sox Forum I recently joined where a similar discussion re: Keucehl is ensuing:

For me the entire key/condition would be getting Keuchel for one year at a price that Sox and Keuchel could live with.
Of course a lot would have the happen for that to become a possibility.
For me in consideration of the money they pissed away on such notables as Hanley Ramirez, Pablo Sandoval, Carl Crawford, Julio Lugo and going back even further, the likes of Rod Beck, 15 million or whatever it took to sign him for one season should not be a stumbling block.
Also we are forgetting one thing only, the bp.
Perhaps everyone should look at the possibility that if the bp doesn't turn out to be as bad as most folks out and he is still unsigned he could be signed for one year because one of the current slated starters is not all that good, becomes injured and/or as in insurance in case the latter occur.
I can think of a lot worse possibilities than having Keuchel on one's team no matter what the circumstances.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:06 PM

Rewards: 191,883
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 3223
Likes (Received): 1924
Kuechel dead arm
Old 03-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsooner21 View Post
Kuechel dead arm
Maybe- perhaps thatis the reason that teams consider him to much of a risk to sign and especially to a long term contract.
Perhaps the same goes for Kimbrel also based on how he pitched in the playoffs and WS.

Last edited by savage1; 03-26-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I posted this in context at the Sox Forum re: the comment by someone else that Sox shouldn't sign Keuchel, Kimbrel nor anyone at this point to close re: the added salary it would tack on as well as the luxury tax which in total would amount to roughly 29 million dollars added on:

It all comes down to reward/risk and how much money the Sox are willing to shell out for this season.
Relatively speaking imo 29 million isn't all that important to the Sox based on what they have shelled out previously in total over the years some with good results and some with bad.
I look at this way:
If it is a business decision only on the part of ownership not to spend more money on other players in order too make more profits only for themselves because of luxury tax(one reason possibly because they just had a spectacular season, are happy with that and would rather concentrate on the money angle his year rather than pleasing the fans), I respect that.
Also the same lines if they are looking at all of this longer term with the likes of the well known contracts which soon need to be renewed, I understand that also their not wanting to spend any more money at this time.
From a fan's point of view however, if the team/bp or whatever fails especially during the early part of the season, they get off to a dismal start, start falling way behind and the Sox do nothing in the way of acquisitions, etc. to correct the situation, it will be obvious that the Sox are not committed to winning for at least this season and that what I just said above will apply-As long as hey are honest about it, I can accept their decision.
Again and to conclude, imo if they are sincere about winning THIS year and a situation such as I have suggested unfolds, I for one would have no problem if they added someone like Keuchel to try to strengthen the team-that said, imo it is not the time to do it before one pitch has even been thrown.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Here is what I was responding to in previous post, which is what another posted in the Sox Forum.
Although over the years I have disagreed with him at times, imo he is really astute, knows his stuff and always documents what he says with facts as is the case here:

"No, the big stumbling block regarding Kimbrel or any other higher priced reliever was how high the Sox current salary is and how it would put them over the second tier of the luxury tax penalties, and all the implications that brings. Here's an article that was on MLBTradeRumors earlier this year outlining that. ANY contract that pushes the team over the 2nd tier of the luxury tax line comes with huge financial outlays. In the theoretical example they had signing Kimbrel at an AAV of $17.5M would essentially wind up being an outlay this year of over $29M when all the tax penalties are added in. The same would apply with Keuchel or anyone else signed."

A Closer Look At The Red Sox And The Luxury Tax - MLB Trade Rumors

Last edited by savage1; 03-26-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
For me to criticize DD before the season has even begun and assessing the team's needs makes about as someone criticizing a football coach in college football in a overtime game because his team won the coin toss and decided to let the other team have first possession so that he could see what his team needed to win after that first possession.
Again I have my own reasons for having concerns and question marks as to how the team will do this season, which I have expressed previously, but trashing DD before the season has begun is not one of them.

Last edited by savage1; 03-26-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:39 PM

Rewards: 191,883
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 3223
Likes (Received): 1924
I can’t be the only one around here who doesn’t give a rats ass about what you’re posting on a Red Sox forum

In fact, if you could find a single person who cares...
Old 03-26-2019, 09:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I can’t be the only one around here who doesn’t give a rats ass about what you’re posting on a Red Sox forum

6409 hits since August of last year say otherwise-duh!!!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
We got kbsooner000. That’s all that DOESN'T matter.

Signed,

Anyone and everyone with an ability and/or willingness to dig beneath the surface of the skin and see and accept reality!!

Last edited by savage1; 03-26-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Although I am pretty sure something like this is not going to happen this season, lets not forget that 2013 WS winning Sox went from a record of 97-65 to 71-91 in the following season finishing dead last!
Old 03-27-2019, 12:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I "love" the way some folks have no gratitude for the magnificent job DD did of putting this team together this season.
Also they seem to believe that as someone pointed out, stuff like Luxury Taxes don't matter, concentrating on the big picture and looking ahead to the future of trying to sign folks like Betts, JD, Bogaerts, etc are no big deal, and all that matters is doing what THEY as members of the Peanut Gallery with ZERO experience in being a GM/FO think is the right thing to do.
Whether it be in trying to win a WS Championship(in this case a second consecutive time where clearly the odds historically are against it) or in any sport and for that matter anything in life including gambling, doing things in a slow/ patient and methodical manner has been shown time and time again the way to go rather than going the instant gratification way.
If that qualifies as being the nebulous, confusing and inconsistently used term of being a "pink hat" as it is used in this Forum, well then I am proud to state that I am a member and hopefully will be one in good standing for many years to come!!

Last edited by savage1; 03-27-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
For some reason when I think of a particular person who started a thread(hint not this one) and my overall impression of the person who does most of the posting(and his posts) in that thread, this is the image which immediately comes to mind:

http://mathcatcher.irmacs.sfu.ca/sit...kunk_spray.jpg
Old 03-27-2019, 01:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Actually I do with some of the comments just made about the luxury tax, etc. in the other thread and their relevance and stated so earlier in the oher Sox Forum in response to the poster who used that as a reason.
I will post the link in a second.
For me the most important part though is the last line, which DD obviously adhered to last season and which was one of the big reasons for the team's success.
Here is the post.

I am not disagreeing with you, but if it becomes clear and especially early in the season that the bp is floundering and the team is losing games because of it, if the team is any aspirations of getting into the hunt for this season, they probably will have to spend some money to acquire someone who is available on a short term basis.
Also I can't get into John Henry's head, but according to a search it says he is worth 2.7 billion dollars.
He is also closing in on 70 years old, which might but not necessarily give him a different perspective on money and it diminishing returns after a certain point as far as wealth goes as opposed to someone younger.
Using math and comparing it to someone who is worth say one million dollars, Henry is worth 2700 times more than the latter person.
Thus in a simplistic way anyways, the added on 29 million needed to sign someone like Keuchel while not chump change would compare to anamount to less than a $11000 investment to the person worth one million, which again is not chump change but something imo which most people could easily handle if they lost it all if they were in that position.
As I implied above, this type of analysis leave out a lot, but the point remains that such terms as "expensive," "value," etc. are relative and in the eyes of the beholder, in this case the owner, and how important it is to him to try to win another WS THIS season and how much he believes those chances would be if he chose to spend the money.
All that said, at this juncture I think it is wise to not panic, just stand pat for now, see how season unfolds and play it by ear.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
One other thought which represents my way of thinking re: the bullpen.
I am not saying it is right or wrong because I have no experience as a GM, meaning that as much as I would like to believe that I am qualified to make a judgment as a fan as the GM is, the better and more rational part says I am not.
Anyways the big reason I think it is necessary to at least wait for a little while before trying to fix the bp if they so choose to do so is that they do not know yet what needs to be fixed.
For example the way I see it DD/Cora have to watch the present bp in action and see how each one of them performs when called up in game conditions.
In short imo stuff like who is effective/ineffective against what batters and under what game scenarios would be what I would want them to focus upon.
Once a period of time has unfolded and they see what needs to be addressed, then if the situation warrants is the time they should make efforts to fix it.
To be fair, from what I have seen in the st games the bp is in need of help, but remember these are st games, and it has been shown many times in the past that how in this case pitchers perform is st games, whether it be good, bad or somewhere in between, that this is not indicative of how they will perform during the season.
And as stated/implied above, to go out now before the season as begun and try to get a one size fits all person for the bp for me may not be the best idea.
Imo patience is indeed a virtue here!

Last edited by savage1; 03-27-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
ps One last thing I forgot to mention in previous post is that all of this talk as to what the Sox should do with bp and in general for that matter seems to be predicated on the belief that all of the things the other teams did during the off-season are going to work out as planned in a positive way.
"Sometimes" it doesn't quite out that way.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
In post 320 I tried to see it in the way JH possibly sees the spending issue as well as the way fans might see it; obviously the two views are worlds apart.
Just as it is argued in this private forum, that the owner has the right to set the rules to it whether one likes them or not, one can argue that JH as the principal owner of the Sox, can run it and spend money in any manner in which he sees fit and by any criterion he chooses including DD's opinion.
Of course if some people are unhappy, they have a right to criticize in any manner in which they so choose as well.
In this case at this juncture I believe it is a combination of strategy and patience as well as the luxury tax for the Sox not acting before the season begins.
Does that make it right or wrong?
Well unfortunately we will just to wait and see if and retrospect they should have done something before the season begins.

ps This post from a poster at the other forum echoes my sentiments:

Im concerned about the BP but not worried yet. If Hembree comes in to many times and blows leads its time to dump him. The others need a chance to see what they can do

Last edited by savage1; 03-27-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:49 PM
cappersmall VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I canít be the only one around here who doesnít give a rats ass about what youíre posting on a Red Sox forum

God bless u!
Old 03-27-2019, 03:50 PM
cappersmall VIP

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage1 View Post
6409 hits since August of last year say otherwise-duh!!!
Lol, is he serious?

Tags
games, imo, losing, sox, win