Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

NBA Basketball NBA Handicapping - Post your NBA picks, talk NBA betting, anything NBA.

View Poll Results: Should Donovan be fired?
Yes 19 57.58%
No 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-22-2019, 10:03 PM
dsypula dsypula is offline
Dave in Tally
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 534
Rewards: 4,867
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1833
Likes (Received): 338
Portland is the better team, with no HOF players. To me, that's a reflection of (superior) coaching. That leads me to believe OKC needs a different coach, barring a major roster overhaul - and they ain't gonna do that.

Donovan has had the time to prove what many have always suspected....He belongs at the college level.
__________________
Best of Luck Boys

Last edited by dsypula; 04-22-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:41 AM
dsypula dsypula is offline
Dave in Tally
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tallahassee
Posts: 534
Rewards: 4,867
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1833
Likes (Received): 338
Is it safe to assume we have the (unofficial) answer to this question?
__________________
Likes kbsooner21 liked this post
Best of Luck Boys
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:56 AM
goldengreek goldengreek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: CHI-TOWN
Posts: 95,758
Rewards: 93,580
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1683
Likes (Received): 4324
Not pro Donovan. Can care less if they fire him byt this teams roster sucked balls behind Bestbrook and PG13. Adams is nice but not a star. Schroeder the only good player they have off the bench. Two of their starters shouldnt be starting anywhere. The have the 2 superstars, Adams and Schroeder. Grant is OK...would be nice off the bench. But thats it,, No depth,, rest of the team blows
__________________
Likes kane liked this post
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-24-2019, 02:30 AM
parker parker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 16
Rewards: 245
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 1
Billy still doesn't do well with adjustments but Russ has to go volume shooter at the point will never win
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 AM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,772
Rewards: 72,755
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 558
Likes (Received): 470
Another terrible shooting night from Westbrick, 11-31 in an elimination game, he made 16 of his last 52 shots in the series and once again got totally outplayed by Lillard. For the series Wesbrick shot 36% from the field and 32% from three, Lillard shot 46% from the field and an amazing 48% from three. OKC has Westbrick, Paul George, and two good role players in Adams and Schroder, and that's it, they have two guys in their SL who shouldn't be starting, and very little off the bench, but it's not Westbrick's fault they lost, no sir, the blame all goes to Billy Donovan, he's the reason Wesbrick can't shoot, he's the reason they have a team with little talent outside of their two main guys. I've been saying for years Westbrick is an overrated stat chaser, he's the most inefficient star in the league, there's a reason why his peers voted him as the league's most overrated player, I'll take Lillard over him any time. This might cost Donovan his job, but the reason for OKC's playoff struggles have less to do with Donovan's coaching and more to do with Westbrick's poor play
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:39 AM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
You never did answer if Westbrook was the problem last year too?

And yeah, i keep hearing OKC has no players beyond their top 2. As if Portland is loaded. Aminu, Harkless and Kanter are sooooo good. lol

Just ridiculous. I guess OKC is the only HC position in the NBA where it is okay to lose EVERY year in round 1 with 2 HOF players in your starting 5
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:44 AM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
Donovan last 3 years

Regular season 144-102
Playoffs 4-12
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:54 AM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,772
Rewards: 72,755
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 558
Likes (Received): 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
You never did answer if Westbrook was the problem last year too?

And yeah, i keep hearing OKC has no players beyond their top 2. As if Portland is loaded. Aminu, Harkless and Kanter are sooooo good. lol

Just ridiculous. I guess OKC is the only HC position in the NBA where it is okay to lose EVERY year in round 1 with 2 HOF players in your starting 5
Since KD left three years ago, Westbrick has shot a combined 38% from the field and 31% from three in the playoffs. You keep mentioning 2 HOF players, but when one of those HOF players plays poorly, that's on the player, not the coach. And yes, Aminu, Harkless, and Kanter are better than Adams, Ferguson, and Grant. Ferguson and Grant start for OKC, they wouldn't be starters on any other playoff team, and they have nothing on their bench except Schroder, if the Thunder want to make a coaching change, that's fine, but what they need is a talent upgrade, and for Westbrick to stop worrying about his stats and figure out how to shoot and become a more efficient player. The NBA is a players league, and when Lillard outplays Westbrick, OKC has no chance to win. You can blame Donovan all you want, but the reason they lose in the playoffs has more to do with Westbrick's inefficiency and less to do with Donovan's coaching
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:57 AM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,772
Rewards: 72,755
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 558
Likes (Received): 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
Donovan last 3 years

Regular season 144-102
Playoffs 4-12
And none of this is Westbrick's fault, it's all on Donovan, right?
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:05 AM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
And none of this is Westbrick's fault, it's all on Donovan, right?
If your star player is struggling to find his shot, your job as HC is to change things up and try to make things easier for him. Try some pick and rolls or screens or maybe try getting him to the basket. Don’t just sit there and say damn Russ isn’t shooting well. No adjustments that I noticed. Nothing

And if you call getting others involved by dishing out DD Assits and running around for every rebound makes you a stat chaser, sign me up. I am a fan. I call that a stat filler. My definition of chaser is much different.

Last edited by wayne1218; 04-24-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:08 AM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
By your definition harden must be a stat chaser too. He has had some horrific shooting games
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:29 AM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,772
Rewards: 72,755
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 558
Likes (Received): 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
If your star player is struggling to find his shot, your job as HC is to change things up and try to make things easier for him. Try some pick and rolls or screens or maybe try getting him to the basket. Don’t just sit there and say damn Russ isn’t shooting well. No adjustments that I noticed. Nothing

And if you call getting others involved by dishing out DD Assits and running around for every rebound makes you a stat chaser, sign me up. I am a fan. I call that a stat filler. My definition of chaser is much different.
It isn't that Westbrick is struggling to find his shot, it's that he can't shoot period. For his career he's shooting 43% from the field and 31% from three, at this point there's nothing that will improve those numbers, he is what he is. The reason he gets so many assists is he always has the ball in his hands, 100% of the time when he's in the game he's bringing the ball up the court, so he's the one making all the passes, anytime a teammate scores, it's always him making the pass because he dominates the ball. As far as rebounds go, he gets a lot of cheap boards on missed free throws, every time the opponent is shooting free throws, Westbrick is on the low block right there to grab any misses, and if you watch him play, many times he leaves his man to run under the rim hunting for rebounds, he does this a lot, I know their season is over, but the next time you watch him play, notice how often during a possession he'll leave his man and position himself near the rim looking for the rebound. He's a guy who loves getting his numbers, but doesn't care about being an efficient player, he's a bad three point shooter, yet he shoots a lot of them, he averaged 7 three point attempts a game in the Portland series, he shouldn't be taking more than two a game, he can't shoot from deep, yet he keeps jacking them up. In last night's game OKC had the ball late with the score tied, Westbrick missed a shot at the end that would have given his team the lead, Lillard then buried a shot that won the game, to me that sums it all up. We're on total opposite ends of this debate so there's really no reason to keep going back and forth, neither one of us will ever change the other's mind regarding the type of player he is, I respect your opinion, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase

Last edited by kane; 04-24-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:33 AM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
Since KD left three years ago, Westbrick has shot a combined 38% from the field and 31% from three in the playoffs. You keep mentioning 2 HOF players, but when one of those HOF players plays poorly, that's on the player, not the coach. And yes, Aminu, Harkless, and Kanter are better than Adams, Ferguson, and Grant. Ferguson and Grant start for OKC, they wouldn't be starters on any other playoff team, and they have nothing on their bench except Schroder, if the Thunder want to make a coaching change, that's fine, but what they need is a talent upgrade, and for Westbrick to stop worrying about his stats and figure out how to shoot and become a more efficient player. The NBA is a players league, and when Lillard outplays Westbrick, OKC has no chance to win. You can blame Donovan all you want, but the reason they lose in the playoffs has more to do with Westbrick's inefficiency and less to do with Donovan's coaching
Donovan has no clue how to use these guys. Yeak okay, Kanter is better than Adams? Funny, Donovan thought he was useless.

Donovan tried to kill the career of Oladipo when he was there. No idea how to use him.

Look at M. Morris on this years roster. He played no less than 25 mpg the last 7 seasons and he was a DD scorer in every season. Donovan plays him 16 mpg in the regular season and he averages 6 points. Last night he played him 4 minutes.

I don't wanna hear how this team has zero talent when the HC has no trust or understanding how to use guys. That's on him, nobody else.
__________________
Likes kbsooner21 liked this post
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 AM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
It isn't that Westbrick is struggling to find his shot, it's that he can't shoot period. For his career he's shooting 43% from the field and 31% from three, at this point there's nothing that will improve those numbers, he is what he is. The reason he gets so many assists is he always has the ball in his hands, 100% of the time when he's in the game he's bringing the ball up the court, so he's the one making all the passes, anytime a teammate scores, it's always him making the pass because he dominates the ball. As far as rebounds go, he gets a lot of cheap boards on missed free throws, every time the opponent is shooting free throws, Westbrick is on the low block right there to grab any misses, and if you watch him play, many times he leaves his man to run under the rim hunting for rebounds, he does this a lot, I know their season is over, but the next time you watch him play, notice how often during a possession he'll leave his man and position himself near the rim looking for the rebound. He's a guy who loves getting his numbers, but doesn't care about being an efficient player, he's a bad three point shooter, yet he shoots a lot of them, he averaged 7 three point attempts a game in the Portland series, he shouldn't be taking more than two a game, he can't shoot from deep, yet he keeps jacking them up. In last night's game OKC had the ball late with the score tied, Westbrick missed a shot at the end that would have given his team the lead, Lillard then buried a shot that won the game, to me that sums it all up. We're on total opposite ends of this debate so there's really no reason to keep going back and forth, neither one of us will ever change the other's mind regarding the type of player he is, I respect your opinion, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Westbrook is shooting a WHOPPING 1% less than James Harden for his career. Harden has had some EPIC FG% meltdowns himself in the post & regular season too. Both have been to i think 1 conference finals without the other. Both have 1 MVP to their name. Harden shoots the 3 better, Russ is a better assist guy, rebounder.

You cannot think one is a stat chaser and not the other
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-24-2019, 11:42 AM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
For the life of me i can't understand why you, of all guys would defend a coach with the resume of Donovan's any longer kane. I seriously can't. lol

To keep blaming 1 player when the coach controls the whole game plan is mind boggling to me. Then i thought wait, kane is a Florida guy and he may, just maybe be a Donovan fan? It has to be something beyond Westbrook cuz that doesn't explain the postseason failures every year.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:02 PM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,772
Rewards: 72,755
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 558
Likes (Received): 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
For the life of me i can't understand why you, of all guys would defend a coach with the resume of Donovan's any longer kane. I seriously can't. lol

To keep blaming 1 player when the coach controls the whole game plan is mind boggling to me. Then i thought wait, kane is a Florida guy and he may, just maybe be a Donovan fan? It has to be something beyond Westbrook cuz that doesn't explain the postseason failures every year.
Yes I'm a Florida guy, but I'm a Canes fan who hates the Gators, I can assure you I'm not a Donovan fan. And for the record I don't think he's a great coach at all, I just don't think he's the reason for their playoff failures. The NBA is a players league, and when Westbrick shoots 36% from the field and 32% from three in a series, the Thunder will lose that series every time, for them to win, he and Paul George both have to be great throughout the entire series, PG played well, Westbrick did not, OKC doesn't have another guy who can pick up the slack, there's no one on that roster capable of putting up 20+ points to help out their two stars, Lillard badly outplayed Westbrick and Portland won the series, had it been the other way around, OKC would have likely won. When fans and analysts discuss the Thunder, they aren't saying Billy Donovan can't get out of the first round, they're saying Russell Westbrook can't get out of the first round
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:07 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
I agree, Lillard out played Westbrook. It still does not explain post 38 or all the past failures. Anyone remember when Markieff was the better Morris brother? I do. He never had a chance in OKC under Donovan. He debated the Rockets and Raptors and chose OKC. Bad decision.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:11 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
"With financial constraints playing a part because of a significant luxury tax bill pending, the Thunder didn't make a deal at the trade deadline, instead hoping to make an addition in the buyout market. Morris will provide versatility to the Thunder's bench, backing up starting power forward Jerami Grant"

I guess they didn't take in to account the HC and his decision not to use him. I bet Brad Stevens would have put him right in the Marcus role in OKC.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:29 PM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,772
Rewards: 72,755
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 558
Likes (Received): 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218;8426837[B
]I agree, Lillard out played Westbrook[/B]. It still does not explain post 38 or all the past failures. Anyone remember when Markieff was the better Morris brother? I do. He never had a chance in OKC under Donovan. He debated the Rockets and Raptors and chose OKC. Bad decision.
Lillard outplaying Westbrick is the main reason why Portland won the series. If we're assigning blame as to why OKC lost, Westbrick's play had much more to do with it than Donovan's coaching, and I have a hard time believing Morris would have made any difference, your star players need to play like stars, role players rarely decide the outcome of a series
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:33 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
So again, nothing about last year, or the year before? It's just Westbrook's fault every time they lose and the coach doesn't matter in OKC?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:35 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
and I have a hard time believing Morris would have made any difference
You lose 2 games by 5 & 3 points and you have a career DD scorer picking his nose on the bench. I would disagree
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:35 PM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,772
Rewards: 72,755
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 558
Likes (Received): 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
"With financial constraints playing a part because of a significant luxury tax bill pending, the Thunder didn't make a deal at the trade deadline, instead hoping to make an addition in the buyout market. Morris will provide versatility to the Thunder's bench, backing up starting power forward Jerami Grant"

I guess they didn't take in to account the HC and his decision not to use him. I bet Brad Stevens would have put him right in the Marcus role in OKC.
Brad Stevens is miles ahead of Billy Donovan, if you're saying Donovan is no Stevens, you'll get no argument from me
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:37 PM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,772
Rewards: 72,755
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 558
Likes (Received): 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne1218 View Post
You lose 2 games by 5 & 3 points and you have a career DD scorer picking his nose on the bench. I would disagree
Okay, if Donovan plays Morris more, OKC wins the series, the reason they lost is Morris not getting enough minutes, I'm sure that will be the take among the analysts
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:42 PM
wayne1218 wayne1218 is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 30,236
Rewards: 15,469,573
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 5407
Likes (Received): 9321
Hey when you say they got no talent on the roster, what’s your excuse for letting Morris just sit there? The guy averaged DD on every team the last 7 years and he is versatile. He should have been a heavy regular in that rotation and at worst your 3rd or 4th option for scoring
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-24-2019, 12:43 PM
kane kane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Fla
Posts: 2,772
Rewards: 72,755
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 558
Likes (Received): 470
Also for the record, I'm not saying Donovan shouldn't be held accountable, I'm just saying the main reason why OKC lost was Westbrick being outplayed by Lillard, that's where the majority of the blame goes, Donovan's coaching had much less to do with it than Westbrick's play. I said it before, I'll say it one last time, in the playoffs you need your stars to play like stars, it's tough to win when that doesn't happen
__________________
It's not the kill, It's the thrill of the chase
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
donovan, fired, lose, thoughts, thunder

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29% Host: cappersmallweb4