Go Back   Sports Handicapping at cappersmall > >

UFC, MMA, Boxing, etc Talk it up, anything related to Boxing, Wrestling, Ultimate Fighting, & all Martial Arts.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:17 PM

Rewards: 82,834
Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 14190
Likes (Received): 28666
Mariya Agapova gets her wish ... will fight Shana Dobson at UFC event on August 22nd
Old 06-22-2020, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
UFC featherweight Josh Emmett suffered a "complete ACL tear" in his Fight of Night victory over Shane Burgos on Saturday.

Per Emmett, other injuries include: Partial MCL tear, focal impact fracture of femur, damaged cartilage, swelling.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
So, Josh Emmett just won a fight of the year contender while fighting three full rounds with one knee vs. Burgos who is an absolute beast.

Insane.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Longtime UFC cutman Don House appeared on the UFC on ESPN 11 broadcast with multiple QAnon symbols emblazoned on his official attire.

A longtime UFC official was spotted on the UFC on ESPN 11 broadcast wearing symbols associated with the QAnon conspiracy theory.

Don House, a longtime UFC cutman and “close” friend of UFC President Dana White, appeared on the UFC broadcast during the main event with two QAnon symbols emblazoned on his shirt. The cutman sported a ‘Q’ logo on the front of his shirt and a WWG1WGA logo on the left arm of his shirt, the latter of which stands for “Where we go one we go all” and is used exclusively by QAnon supporters.

QAnon emerged in October 2017 following an anonymous post on the 4chan forum by someone who went by the name Q. The poster alleged to have access to classified information involving the Trump administration, which included false accusations of Democratic politicians and Hollywood actors participating in an international child sex trafficking ring. The baseless theory, which lacks in any evidence whatsoever, also goes by the name The Storm and The Great Awakening.

While QAnon continues to thrive primarily on the internet, it appears to have a growing body of adherents, an expanding infrastructure, and even merchandise available on Amazon, Etsy and others. And despite its lack of evidence-based theories, it continues to sustain its movement and attract new followers.

Given QAnon’s determined belief in a deep state conspiracy against President Trump, the FBI recently labeled the shadowy network a potential domestic terror threat.

“The FBI assesses these conspiracy theories very likely will emerge, spread, and evolve in the modern information marketplace, occasionally driving both groups and individual extremists to carry out criminal or violent acts,” the document stated.

This is not the first time that the QAnon conspiracy theory has crept its way into the MMA space. A VOX analysis of the QAnon subreddit found that nearly 900 comments were posted by people who were most active in the MMA, fitness, and JoeRogan subreddits. UFC welterweight Jorge Masvidal also used a QAnon hashtag when he posted a false quote by Kurt Cobain in reference to Donald Trump.

Then last week, Albuquerque city councillor Pat Davis posted a picture of a white flag with a black Q perched on the roof of the Jackson Wink Academy. The flag is used by QAnon conspiracy theorists. The Jackson Wink Academy later released a statement on social media addressing the controversial flag and claiming that “an unknown individual put a flag on the roof” of the academy.

While the Jackson Wink Academy is home to past and present UFC champions like Holly Holm and Jon Jones, Don House’s decision to wear QAnon logos marks the first time that such symbols have appeared on a UFC broadcast on ESPN.

Apart from being a longtime cutman, House is also a world champion boxing trainer who helped train the likes of Derrick Harmon and Diego “Chico” Corrales. He is also a close friend of Dana White, whom he met when White was still managing fighters like Chuck Liddell and Tito Ortiz.

It should be noted that the UFC has barred its cutmen from procuring their own sponsors in the past, which suggests that their clothing is regulated by the organization. Despite their strict measures, House was still able to appear on the ESPN broadcast with QAnon conspiracy symbols emblazoned on his clothing.

The UFC has not responded to a request for comment at this time.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Usman changes camps prior to UFC 251 title defense

Usman has left Hard Knocks 365 in Florida and will train under the guidance of Trevor Wittman in Colorado. Wittman notably works with UFC interim lightweight champion Justin Gaethje and former strawweight queen Rose Namajunas.

Before training under Henri Hooft, Usman was part of the now-defunct Blackzilians team, so this will mark the first time in his professional tenure that “The Nigerian Nightmare” will train outside of Florida. His corner for fight night is expected to include Wittman, Jorge Santiago, his brother, Mohammed Usman, and potentially, Gaethje.

"Florida was the base for a long time, but you grow from there," Usman said. "We always had a ton of guys, some of the best training partners out there and some great coaches.

"But I wanted a little more specific attention at this point in my career -- someone to be able to say, 'You're going to come in at this time and work on this particular skill.' It's very tough to do that when there are 40 to 50 guys in the room with you who also need to get attention.”

Meanwhile, Burns confirmed with ESPN that Hooft has removed himself from the matchup entirely.

"Our main coach, Henri Hooft, he stepped out," Burns said. "He said, 'I don't want to go either way. I don't want to pick a side. You guys train. I'll be here at the gym. If you want to train here, we can train. But I'm not going to the fight.’

"For me, it doesn't change too much. It's just a little weird to fight Kamaru. I really like the guy a lot. We've trained together since 2012 or 2013, so we've put a lot of time together.”

According to Usman, leaving his old gym was inevitable given his status as 170-pound champion.

"I think eventually I would have changed things up anyway," Usman said. "We had a lot of welterweights at that gym. At some point, when you're training with these guys on a daily basis and you're the champion of the world, these guys know you in and out and if they get the better of you one day, they're licking their chops thinking it's their time. A little separation from that is good. It keeps that element of surprise, because these guys feel like they know you.”
Old 06-24-2020, 03:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Zak Cummings vs. Alessio Di Chirico added to Aug. 29 event
Old 06-24-2020, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
It took nearly two years, but Chas Skelly finally got a loss erased from his record.

On Wednesday, Skelly revealed that his 2018 fight against Bobby Moffett had been overturned to a no contest by the Colorado Office of Combative Sports and Colorado Combative Sports Commission.

The controversy surrounding the fight stemmed from a Brabo choke applied by Moffett in the second round. Referee Tim Mills called a stop to the contest despite Skelly never tapping out or going unconscious from the submission.

A replay was viewed after the stoppage, but the call was upheld and Moffett was declared the winner by TKO. Skelly disputed the result as he explained what happened after he got caught in the choke.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Vicente Luque vs Randy Brown rebooked for UFC’s August 1 event
Old 06-24-2020, 08:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Updated UFC Fights 6/24/2020

All UFC fights so far for June, July & August

Black: Done deal

Red: Verbally agreed or confirmed by one fighter

Green: Confirmed Main Event, Co-Main Event or Title fight

Blue: Confirmed Main Card Fights

Old 06-25-2020, 06:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
After 19 years and 32 professional MMA matches, light heavyweight veteran Antonio Rogerio Nogueira sounds like he’s ready to hang up his gloves. At 44 years of age, ‘Lil Nog’ is headed to a trilogy bout against long time rival Mauricio Rua, who won their two previous matches in 2005 and 2015.

Now, scheduled to take on ‘Shogun’ at UFC Fight Night 172, Nogueira believes he is at the right time in his life to move on to different projects. In an interview with MMA Fighting, the Brazilian MMA legend seemed at peace with the decision and ready to put on one last great show for his fans.

“I think the time has arrived,” Nogueira said. “It’s a lot of work, several projects, the head doesn’t stop. I’ll do my things, but I’m sure I’ll adapt to not fighting anymore. It’s going to be hard [laughs], maybe I’ll have to do more yoga and meditation to get me focused on doing other things instead of thinking about fights. And I’ll be a coach, I have my team, I’ll be able to train them, so it’s okay. Maybe finding new champions will satisfy this desire or winning.”

Although Nogueira admits he will miss the thrill of fighting, he also believes that training new athletes at Team Nogueira might fill that gap. Furthermore, having the chance to end his career against such a rival in Shogun could just the kind of closure he feels is necessary in order to walk away for good.

“You go to the gym and watch athletes training, it will get to a point where you will train but won’t have the competition,” Nogueira said. “You’re always moved by goals, competitions, but it’s time to think about the post-career, take care of other projects, think about other things. You can’t focus 100 percent in everything. We have the Team Nogueira project, my seminars and lectures. We were splitting the energy and focus, and now I’ll be able to close (my career) with a great fight.

“It’s gonna be hard, but I’m okay with it and I’m doing it the best way possible, fighting a great champion, someone I respect, someone that gave me a rivalry that forced me to train even harder. I train more when I’m fighting ‘Shogun.’ I’m excited, I know it’s going to be a great fight.”

In his last outing, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (23-9) was knocked out by Ryan Spann back May 2019. Before that, the 44-year-old scored a knockout victory against Sam Alvey, in September 2018.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
On the agenda for the next Nevada State Athletic Commission hearing (July 1st) the UFC will be applying for permits to hold events at the APEX on the following dates:

- Aug 1
- Aug 4 (DWTNCS)
- Aug 8
- Aug 11 (DWTNCS)
- Aug 15
- Aug 18 (DWTNCS)
- Aug 22
- Aug 25 (DWTNCS)
- Aug 29

DWTNCS = Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series
Old 06-29-2020, 06:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Francisco Trinaldo vs. Jai Herbert at UFC FN event on July 25th on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi
Old 06-30-2020, 10:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Angela Hill vs. Michelle Waterson ... UFC's Aug. 22 card
Old 07-02-2020, 10:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Paulian Paiva’s head coach, Ronildo Nobre has tested positive for covid ahead of their planned bout against Zhalgas Zhumagulov at UFC 251.

Nombre and his family contracted the coronavirus in Brazil, but according to reports from Ag Fight and MMA Fighting, Paiva has tested negative so the fighter has still been cleared to travel to Abu Dhabi for the July 11 event.

As of now his scheduled bout is still on, but he will just be traveling with different cornermen.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
UFC 252, scheduled for August 15 at the UFC Apex facility in Vegas

Fights confirmed so far ...

UFC 252 Main Event ... 265 lbs.: UFC Heavyweight Champion Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier

265 lbs.: Junior Dos Santos vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik
115 lbs.: Livinha Souza vs. Ashley Yoder
205 lbs.: Magomed Ankalaev vs. Ion Cutelaba
115 lbs.: Felice Herrig vs. Virna Jandiroba
135 lbs.: Rogerio Bontorin vs. Manel Kape
170 lbs.: Zelim Imadaev vs. Laureano Staropoli

The UFC 252 main card will air on ESPN+ pay-per-view. The undercard will air on ESPN+ and ESPN.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Romanov out ... Marcin Tybura will now fight Maxim Grishin at UFC 251 on Yas Island on July 11th

Maxim Grishin has only lost once in his last 21 fights. That lone loss was against Magomed Ankalaev. Grishin is the former WFCA LHW Champion. Currently rides a 9-fight unbeaten streak. Fought in the PFL Season last year. Win over Volkov as well.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Roberts out ... Nicolas Dalby will now fight Jesse Ronson at UFC FN event on July 25th on Yas Island
Old 07-03-2020, 12:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Ryan Hall vs. Ricardo Lamas rebooked for UFC event on Aug. 29

Finally, the amount of guys that turn down Hall is insane ... Hall by knee obliteration.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Khabib Nurmagomedov’s father and trainer, Abdulmanap, has passed away following a series of COVID-19 complications.

Abdulmanap's no-nonsense coaching and the way he viewed MMA changed the game, and as he passes he does so with his son still lightweight champ and still the most-feared man in the sport.
May he rest in peace ... He was 57
Old 07-03-2020, 01:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Matt Schnell will fight Tyson Nam at UFC event on September 12th
Old 07-03-2020, 01:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Anderson dos Santos won’t be fighting on “Fight Island.”

Originally expected to fight Jack Shore at the UFC event on July 15, dos Santos (20-8 MMA, 0-2 UFC) has been removed from the bout due to a positive COVID-19 test.

At this time, no replacement opponent for Shore (12-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) has been revealed.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Fight Island matchups continue to fall apart ...

Vinicius Moreira also tested positive for COVID-19 and is out of his July 15 UFC fight with Modestas Bukauskas.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
UFC 251 has also taken a hit courtesy of a positive COVID-19 test.

Marina Rodriguez vs. Carla Esparza is now off of the July 11 show in Abu Dhabi after one of Rodriguez’s corners tested positive for the virus, sources told MMA Fighting. Rodriguez’s test came back negative, but the UFC opted to remove her from Friday night's chartered flight from Sao Paulo to Abu Dhabi.

Given the restriction of flights to United Arab Emirates due to the coronavirus pandemic, the UFC will likely postpone the match to a later date instead of looking for a new opponent for "The Cookie Monster" at UFC 251.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Max Holloway heads to UFC 251 after 'challenging' no-sparring training camp

Max Holloway traveled Wednesday from Hawaii to Las Vegas. At the airport was the first time the former UFC featherweight champion has seen his coaches in person for months.

Holloway told ESPN's Ariel Helwani on Friday that he didn't go to the gym or see his coaches during his UFC 251 training camp. Holloway had no training partners and did not spar. The team was taking precautions -- legal and otherwise -- during the coronavirus pandemic, which included a stay-at-home order in Hawaii.

On July 11, Holloway will attempt to regain the featherweight title against champion Alexander Volkanovski in the co-main event of UFC 251 in Abu Dhabi. In lieu of in-person training at his Gracie Technics gym, Holloway did his training at home over video call.

"Everything we were doing [was] through Zoom," Holloway said. "If you got caught at the gym, because there was lockdown and stuff, we all could have gotten arrested. It was a little bit more of a sacrifice for me on my end if I went out there. You know [the authorities are] gonna make a point. [They] see my butt out there, 'Yeah, let's get this guy. Let's make a point and put fear into people.'"

Holloway and his team arrived in Las Vegas on Wednesday, along with the other fighters from the United States going to UFC 251. Everyone in the traveling party was tested for COVID-19 on Thursday and then made to quarantine at a hotel. The UFC fighters, corner people and staff members will board a charter flight to Abu Dhabi on Friday night.

Holloway said his unique training camp was "challenging" and "difficult." He also had to homeschool his son, Rush, with schools being out of session due to COVID-19. But in the end, Holloway said it was a success and "one of the best camps I've ever had," without the typical bumps and bruises of a typical training camp.

"There's always [those] nagging injuries," Holloway said. "But I didn't get no new injury. Every camp, I usually get a new injury. I usually tell you guys I don't have none, because that's just us fighters."

Not being able to spar was one of the toughest things for Holloway, who admits to being a huge proponent of sparring in preparation for a fight. But he said not being able to do so changed his philosophy.

"I love sparring," Holloway said. "But this camp actually opened my eyes. We don't really have to spar that much anymore. We're at that point in my career, I know how to punch, I know how to kick. I know how to apply it."

Volkanovski went through a similar issue. He wasn't able to travel to City Kickboxing in New Zealand from his native Australia due to restrictions and quarantine rules. But Volkanovski did get to train and spar at Freestyle Fighting Gym close to his home near Sydney. Holloway wasn't even able to do that.

Despite the issues, Holloway said there was never any thought to pushing the fight back.

"Delay the fight for what?" Holloway said. "We're true fighters. Everybody likes to call us modern-day gladiators. A lot of fighters like to call themselves modern-day gladiators. But when it's time to fight, it's time to fight. I didn't see no gladiators back in the day being like, 'Oh wait, the lion I was training with was weak, so I need to go find a stronger lion.'"

Holloway (21-5) dropped the featherweight title to Volkanovski at UFC 245 last December by unanimous decision. The Hawaii native had three title defenses prior to that and has been considered among the best -- if not the best -- featherweight fighter of all time. Holloway, 28, has dropped two of his past three fights, but the other loss was at lightweight in an interim title bout against Dustin Poirier.

Holloway noted that Volkanovski was the one calling for a rematch, even though Volkanovski won the first fight.

"Nothing has changed to me, to be honest," Holloway said. "I still feel like I'm the champion, I still get love like I'm the champion. I need to go out and fight like a champion."
Old 07-03-2020, 05:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
And the market reacts to the news ...

Tags
cerrone, fight, gaethje, mcgregor, weight